Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Jul 2014, 02:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

First Attempt got a 700 mixed feelings .... need advice :(??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 18

First Attempt got a 700 mixed feelings .... need advice :(?? [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 04:54
Hi guys ,
I am an active member of gmat club . But I dont post much ,just silently observe and learn from all the posts . I am Indian male working in a reputed IT firm with 1.5 yrs of exp ..did my Engineering from tier 1 coll (NIT Surathkal ...i doubt if anybody of u have heard it ) . Today I gave my gmat and scored a 700 (q-49 , v-35) . During my prep also I found it difficult to cross 40 mark in verbal . During Gmat exm also i mismanaged my time in verbal and had 11 questions left with 16 mins remaining . Quant was over with 4.5 mins remaining (not bragging but sersly if ur quant is strong dont waste mch time in preparing fr quant in gmat ).
I know with this score i wont any good college , but just wanted to ask all the gurus on gmat club please advice how to push that verbal above 40 . I will literally slog for 24 hrs if required to do it . Any how I want to touch that 750 mark . Ya one more thing I started my prep in Mid dec(2012) and gave GMAT on 27 feb 2013. When i say GMAT prep that mostly constitues Verbal prep . Quant i used to do occasionally. (*Quant i dnt do mch bcoz i think When u prepare fr CAT it covers GMAT QUant .)

my performance -MGMAT Exams(sersly its way tuf than actual gmat ) 1-640 ,2-630,3-680,4-650,5-690,6-680
GMAT PREP 1-710
2-680
Plus it would be great if some one could advice me how to begin my second round of prep for gmat . the dos and the donts .

Resources used by me -
Manhattan SC,CR(not useful at all ..) , OG13(did it twice must fr all),Princeton review(not useful at ll ) ,
resources posted on GMAT CLub by souvik,whiplash ,carcass(resources postd by all of them were gr8 ... a bigThnk u to all of u ... )
Pluss all e-gmat posts are superb . A big thumbs up to Shraddha and payal even though i dont comment on your posts but I am like Eklavya who stayed in the shadows and learned a lot from the questions and concepts u posted .

So Please advice how to kick verbal's ass !!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1174

Kudos [?]: 3056 [0], given: 176

Re: First Attempt got a 700 mixed feelings .... need advice :(?? [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 21:25
Expert's post
Hi Ishan,
First of all - congratulations. I know you are not that excited, but pat yourself - you have crossed that chasm - you are at 700. Secondly, I commend you for your resilience. Right away you are back to the pavilion to give it your best. Kudos to your determination. Thirdly, thanks for your appreciation - I simply loved the "eklavya" simile. Lastly and most importantly - your GMAT plan for retake.

Here I would say - capitalize on your strengths. If without much serious preparation you could get 49 in Quant, then why don't you put in conscious efforts and aim for a 50. That will take you beyond 700. After you tackle Quant and get to your desired score of 50 (aim for 51 if you think you can get there), you should tackle verbal. And for verbal I suggest beginning with SC, and then following up with CR and then RC. You may think of either Verbal Online or Verbal Live Prep. These courses have helped several students go from 35 to 40. In fact check out review titled "E-gmat- a game changer for verbal" by SOURH7WK gmatclub.com/reviews/e-gmat/e-gmat-verbal-live-prep-345345624

Let me know if you have any other questions. I will be happy to answer those.

Thanks,

Payal

Free Webinar: July 12, 2014 - Key to score 760 on the GMAT: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your GMAT strategy and create your own study plan to ace the GMAT. Click here to register.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 18

Re: First Attempt got a 700 mixed feelings .... need advice :(?? [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 02:42
Hi Payal thnx for the reply ...... regarding quant i dnt practise mch bcoz ,already I am preparing for CAT(indian mba exm) side by side so that mostly covers gmat quant I think . On top of that to give more time to quant wont be of mch help i believe .

Regarding verbal - i know one thing that nothing can subsitute slf study/ practise .So would continue on that . But just to focus my practise and for additional guidance i am planning to take a verbal course . So lets say even if I think of enrolling for your verbal prep/verbal prep live . Which one would you reccomend me to go for . I think verbal prep should be enuf fr me ?? i knw its kninda stupid to ask frm a instructor itself which course should i opt for .... he/she will obviously suggest the one which includes all .
But it will be great if you could suggest me honestly which one should suffice my needs . PLUSS is there any additional discounts fr people who scored 700 .. :P
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 66

Re: First Attempt got a 700 mixed feelings .... need advice :(?? [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 08:21
Expert's post
ishancrazee wrote:
Hi Payal thnx for the reply ...... regarding quant i dnt practise mch bcoz ,already I am preparing for CAT(indian mba exm) side by side so that mostly covers gmat quant I think . On top of that to give more time to quant wont be of mch help i believe .

Regarding verbal - i know one thing that nothing can subsitute slf study/ practise .So would continue on that . But just to focus my practise and for additional guidance i am planning to take a verbal course . So lets say even if I think of enrolling for your verbal prep/verbal prep live . Which one would you reccomend me to go for . I think verbal prep should be enuf fr me ?? i knw its kninda stupid to ask frm a instructor itself which course should i opt for .... he/she will obviously suggest the one which includes all .
But it will be great if you could suggest me honestly which one should suffice my needs . PLUSS is there any additional discounts fr people who scored 700 .. :P

Hi ishancrazee, first off, congrats on the 700. That's a really good score. Of course, if you want to go to 750, go for it. I agree with the advice given above by egmat, particularly for verbal as a class or an in-depth analysis could reveal a couple how to avoid some mistakes you may have been making. You haven't broken down CR, RC and SC into which ones you struggled with the most, but if you're doing okay on CR but struggling with SC, then SC is a natural place to start. I don't think anyone is better positioned to determine which classes would be beneficial than you are. Just be honest with yourself and you'll undoubtedly learn a couple of new techniques and hopefully boost your already impressive score to the level you desire.

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1174

Kudos [?]: 3056 [0], given: 176

Re: First Attempt got a 700 mixed feelings .... need advice :(?? [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 09:44
Expert's post
Dear Ishaan,

Attend the live session this weekend. Click hereto attend. You can choose either Verbal Live Prep or Verbal Online. Verbal Live Prep will give you a 4 point score improvement guarantee. A 4 point improvement can push your score to 750.

http://gmatclub.com/blog/2011/12/e-gmat ... uaranteed/
-Rajat

Free Webinar: July 12, 2014 - Key to score 760 on the GMAT: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your GMAT strategy and create your own study plan to ace the GMAT. Click here to register.

Re: First Attempt got a 700 mixed feelings .... need advice :(??   [#permalink] 28 Feb 2013, 09:44