Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:13 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11663 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Re: First CAT for Diagnostic? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
SlikRick

My first piece of advice is to not take any practice CAT cold. It will not be of much use. All that will happen is that you will end up with a low score and be psychologically devastated. Instead, I would recommend you to first get acquainted with all the different question types on the GMAT. For example, data sufficiency takes some time to get used to, and the last thing you want to do is to be figuring out all the choices when you are under time and pressure. I would recommend you to get the current Official GMAT guide and do the first 30 questions from each of the five question type that appear on the GMAT. Please note that the first 30 questions are the easiest set of questions in the guide, and this is a good way to get exposed to the structure of the GMAT. After that, do some basic review of anything that you need to. At this stage you are ready to take the initial CAT.

Other things to keep in mind during the practice test:
1) Don't spend too much time on any particular question.
2) If it is a hard question, let it go.
3) Finish the test. There is a strong penalty for not completing the test.

I would recommend you to take the Official GMATPrep for the first practice test. It will be very difficult and stressful. If you struggled with the 30 question sets from the Official Guide, then take the GMAT Paper tests for your first practice test. Just get hold of any one of the nine tests. The GMAT Paper tests are test taker friendly and I generally recommend it to students who are struggling with the basics.

And don't worry about exhausting GMATPrep tests, there are four total official tests. Another reason to take the GMATprep is to give you the real flavor of what the actual GMAT will be, it will be very tough and it is best to get exposed to the real beast. I won't waste my time on third party tests.

Best wishes,
Dabral
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3670 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
We would recommend using the GMATPrep for your first diagnistic. Towards the end -- after you've taken your second GMATPrep, you can consider other supplemental CAT tests including the online CAT test from GMAT PILL: www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/practice-test
GMAT Club Bot