Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 20:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

First Crack, no prep - 600 (Q44, V29)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

First Crack, no prep - 600 (Q44, V29) [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 19:45
My first & formal hello to GMATClub members!

I have been a member of this forum for over two years now (gosh, that's a long period!). In the beginning of this year, a friend of mine, who took GMAT couple years back, suggested that unless I book my exam, I wont get serious. After much deliberation, on March 20th 2012, I booked the exam for June 2nd 2012. But the steam ended just there. I ordered OG & MGMAT series, but failed to open a single page. In last week of May, I pushed my exam date to Oct 9th 2012. This time hoping that I'll make good of my time and start preparations. But due to a lot of personal & professional pressures, I couldn't start on my preps (blah blah blah!!! damn lame excuses I feel, even as I am writing about them now!!).

Unfortunately this time, I forgot to reschedule my exam in time. So on Oct 8th, I had two choices - either to go to the center next day morning and take the exam, or to skip it and book for a date sometime in future. I was working till about 2.30 AM (with no thoughts of the exam next morning) and decided to sleep over the choices and take a call first thing in morning.

I'd the exam scheduled for 8 AM at a center approx 15 mins away. At 7.30 AM, I was searching through GMAC site & GC forums to check the latest clause on canceling the score (I was that unaware/unprepared). I surely wanted to see my score howsoever depressing it was, but didn't want it to be visible to schools. Alas, that was not an option. I read some posts which suggested that even if I cancel my score, that will be visible to schools as missing score. So I decided to take the call once the exam was over.

I reached the center at 7.55 AM, only to be told that I need a passport & the DL alone wont be accepted! Shocker for me. I've given many prometric exams & the DL always worked. And yes, I hadn't done my research on the subject. I was almost ready to skip the test. The girl at the center offered me 15 mins if I can go home and get my passport. No problems, I said! I wouldn't delve in details of my driving through the early morning traffic, but lets say, at 8.23 AM, I was back at the center with the passport. All set to go for an exam scheduled for 8 AM!

I have given 3 hour exams at prometric, so I thought, the length and pattern wont bother me. However, since I'd slept only for 4 hours the previous night, I was already feeling a bit tired. The AWA was pretty standard. I'm yet to get the score, but I feel my performance was pretty average. IR was slightly tough. The questions weren't that difficult, but took a long while for me to solve. Barely finished in the time.

Took the first break and did a 2 min brisk walking in corridor. Started with the quant and spend a lot of time in first 15 qs. There were sure some qs, which I'd absolutely no clues, but well, what else could I expect. Guess worked last 4 questions for which I was left with 15 secs.

Took the second break, again with brisk walk and some water. By this time, my body was feeling the strain. Started the verbal and literally had to struggle keeping my focus on. Couple of RC where pretty complicated (or so I felt, as I dont have a true way of determining it with the study material) and I ended up spending a lot of time there. The SC was another area I was struggling with. For most qs, I was down with two option, both of which looked equally convincing. Being a non native speaker & without any help of study preps, I knew I was going to face challenge in this section. Was down to 15 secs with last 5 questions. Randomly picked some options as didn't want to leave any q unanswered.

The moment came when had to choose whether to see the scores or not. Frankly, I was ready to accept anything above 400, as this truly was a mere prep test (albeit very expensive one and the one which I was risking to be visible to all schools). After a minute of deliberation, I selected to view the score:

Quant - 44 (63%)
Verbal - 29 (54%)
TOTAL - 600 (62%)

So am neither excited nor disappointed. Without a single iota of prep, I consider this score as a benchmark for me to start my preps on. I understand that this could have been a matter of luck and I can expect either same score (or below also) if I am not well prep next time. Am targeting 700 & it will take substantial efforts to get there from here. Hopefully no lame excuses this time! Am planning to take the exam in next 3-4 months. Study plans would include OG and MGMAT series (avg 8 - 10 hours a week).

My fellow brethren, will seek your words of wisdom and advice. For my preps, the GMATClub is the only info source I plan to use religiously. Wishing good luck to all GMAT seekers.

Cheers,
Savy
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
First Crack, no prep - 600 (Q44, V29)   [#permalink] 09 Oct 2012, 19:45