Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 16:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

First Day diagnostic - gmatPrep Surprise 700?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

First Day diagnostic - gmatPrep Surprise 700? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2010, 13:38
So, I just finished my first diagnostic test and received a 700 - I think V44/Q41 was the distribution (closed it and didn't write it down). I know I missed 12 in the quant section and 6 in the verbal.

I was surprised at my high score, because the entire test felt unfamiliar to me. It's been a while since I've done any GMAT/SAT type math problems, so the low quant score wasn't a surprise. I was lost on several problems in that section.

Anyways, I haven't scheduled a test yet but plan to take it in October. Is it realistic to hope for +700 on the real thing, and how hard would it be to go from 700 baseline to 750+ on the real thing in 4-5 months?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 949 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: First Day diagnostic - gmatPrep Surprise 700? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2010, 13:49
Your verbal seems to be quite good. Start working on the quant. I would suggest you to buy MGMAt math guides for the quant and SC for the sentence correction.

You can easily cross 750+ with above books along with MGMAT tests,powerprep,gmatprep, official guides and GMAT club tests.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: First Day diagnostic - gmatPrep Surprise 700? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2010, 14:00
Thanks a lot, I plan to start studying soon. I bought the MGMAT guides (all of them), OG12, and Kaplan GMAT Premier. Should I need anything else?
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 949 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: First Day diagnostic - gmatPrep Surprise 700? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2010, 14:20
MGMAT tests will be free with the books,powerprep,gmatprep are free, official guides - already bought and GMAT club tests - this is for 750+.

You can buy og quant and og verbal for more practice. If you are following MGMAT guides then stick to them only, dont mix up kaplan
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellog, Haas, Ross, Yale
WE 1: R&D - Product Design
WE 2: EPC
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: First Day diagnostic - gmatPrep Surprise 700? [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2010, 12:11
You seem to have a pretty solid starting point, a 41 in quant is nothing to scoff at. To push past and into the 45+ range you need to know the basics and be able to do questions where multiple concepts are tested.

Stick to the MGMAT material to build a solid "GMAT" specific foundation towards quant and verbal, don't bother with Kaplan Premier.

The math concepts start to get intertwined and multiple concepts are tested on the higher level questions. Don't expect MGMAT material to be the end all, know all for Quant. They do a fantastic job of introducing each concept but don't throw multiple concepts at you in a lot of their questions (in the books atleast, practice exams a different story). The books will help you build a foundation but after that start to do a lot of problems and note down how individuals concepts are mixed in to test your knowledge: values given in percentages in overlapping sets, comb & permutation to solve probability questions, switching between different sets of units for rate or work problems, ratios in stats/average questions, etc.

How to spot and work with multiple math concepts will make life easier. It's kind of like how GMAC likes to throw in multiple errors for the harder sentence correction questions.
Re: First Day diagnostic - gmatPrep Surprise 700?   [#permalink] 18 Jun 2010, 12:11