Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 06 May 2015, 03:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

First experience... time to get the bull by the horns

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

First experience... time to get the bull by the horns [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 03:20
Hi everyone,
I have been a silent reader for the past month, and now I belive is a good time to jump in and make my first post. I took my first Gmat exam yesterday and unfortunately, I didn’t manage to get the score I was aiming for and will be retaking it in one month from now.

I got a 630 with a split of 40Q 34V.

I was really confident on my skills and knowledge, since I had been scoring between 660 and 750 on Gmatprep tests the previews week to my exam day.

As a non native English speaker I knew that V was going to be my weakness in the exam, but I know I could have done much better than that.

My exam day experience:

I was actually relax and positive about my chances of getting a 660+. Half way through the Quant I started to feel the need of taking a “bio break”, as time passed that need just became painful; I had 15 questions left and about 32ish min to go, the need to take a piss right away made me rush through those last questions which I’m sure made my score drop significantly (no shit Sherlock, as some might think :P).

After that everything just went down the road, I couldn’t stop thinking that I was going to get a bad score on Q because of those last questions, this made me lose my concentration on the part of the exam I knew I was weaker.

Yesterday I was kind of wasted and felt really disappointed, but after a good night sleep, I believe I have come stronger from this exam experience and with a very valuable lesson learned (make sure to empty the deposit before the exam j\k), if I had focused on the verbal instead of undermining myself about the previous section, I could have score better and maybe avoid retaking it.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and hope the lesson I learn helps others even if it is common sense :P

Ps. For that exam I cover the OG 11th and the OG verb and quat books, also did some of the gmatclub tests, what material should I get to start/continue with my Gmat prep?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 7

Re: First experience... time to get the bull by the horns [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 07:18
Did you have too much coffee before the test? (because caffeine can do this for people).
Intern
Intern

Re: First experience... time to get the bull by the horns [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 07:48
Fijisurf wrote:
Did you have too much coffee before the test? (because caffeine can do this for people).

Mmm interesting, well I had 2 coffees before the exam (with in 2 houres), will take it into account for my next try xD.

Thanks for the tip.
Schools: Carey '16
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 71

Re: First experience... time to get the bull by the horns [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 07:57
you seem like you got a lot of jokes buddy. that's a good thing. most folks come in here drappy and sad from their failure. good to see you got a positive attitude about it. V is definitely my weakness as well. I would start with ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan. At least that's what I used (not that I'm a role model or anything) :-)

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Alpha Psi Omega
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GRE 1: 1310 Q630 V680
GPA: 3.16
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 14

Re: First experience... time to get the bull by the horns [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 08:19
Quote:
I was really confident on my skills and knowledge, since I had been scoring between 660 and 750 on Gmatprep tests the previews week to my exam day.

Is this meant to imply a 660 on GMATPREP1 and a 750 on GMATPREP2 the first time you took each test? If so, then your actual ability is definitely much higher than the score you received; however, if you received these scores on retakes of the GMATPREP then your practice scores could be unnaturally inflated.

Did I help you? Please give me kudos.

Each moment of time ought to be put to proper use, either in business, in improving the mind, in the innocent and necessary relaxations and entertainments of life, or in the care of the moral and religious part of our nature.

-William Andrus Alcott

Intern
Intern

Re: First experience... time to get the bull by the horns [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 11:22
rockzom wrote:
Quote:

Is this meant to imply a 660 on GMATPREP1 and a 750 on GMATPREP2 the first time you took each test? If so, then your actual ability is definitely much higher than the score you received; however, if you received these scores on retakes of the GMATPREP then your practice scores could be unnaturally inflated.

Kind of, I took the Prep1 3 weeks ago and score 670 and took the prep2 2 weeks ago and score a 700, so yeah as you correctly pointed out, I was getting inflated score due to repeated exercises.

vwjetty wrote:
you seem like you got a lot of jokes buddy. that's a good thing. most folks come in here drappy and sad from their failure. good to see you got a positive attitude about it. V is definitely my weakness as well. I would start with ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan. At least that's what I used (not that I'm a role model or anything) :-)

Well what could I say, I rather see it with some perspective than be depressed about it, especially when I will be taking it again in 1 month and I'm sure I will get the score I'm looking for.
Schools: Carey '16
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 71

Re: First experience... time to get the bull by the horns [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 14:23
adda boy that's attitude :-)

gonna do the GMAT for the third time here in a bit. Definitely by far, taking longer than expected. Be glad, at least you still got resources out there. I've almost depleted all of my mine.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: First experience... time to get the bull by the horns [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 17:44
I had similar situation during GRE exam few years back when I almost vomited during the test. I had heavy breakfast which made me nauseous. Now that I've learnt from my mistakes, I'll be very careful about food items to eat before test to avoid nausea due to test pressure.
I appreciate your attitude. Good luck for GMAT prep.

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford
680 Debrief
600 Debrief
590 Debrief
My GMAT Journey

Re: First experience... time to get the bull by the horns   [#permalink] 17 Nov 2010, 17:44