Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 05:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

First GMAT - 600 ( QA - 47 , VA - 27 ) - I'll fight back

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

First GMAT - 600 ( QA - 47 , VA - 27 ) - I'll fight back [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 20:48
Hello All
---------------------------------------------------------------
The idea to share this experience is to illustrate what I did before the exam , in the exam ( which went horribly wrong :shock: ) , where I think I messed up and the road ahead with my plan to retake. Need all the help I can get friends !!
---------------------------------------------------------------

I gave my GMAT recently and scored a dismal 600 ( QA - 47 , VA -27 :x )

What I did before the exam

I started preparation , a month ago. I am a full time IT Prof so used to take out couple of hours a day. Started with OG 12 and then moved to specifics Manhattan SC and Strategy Guides. Read a lot about the exam and people's experience.
QA was not really a big problem although accuracy is something I have to still work on.
Verbal was an issue as I struggled in SC & CR.RC was not a problem considering my voracious reading apetite.
I never was able to build up confidence in SC & CR. But after a lot of practice my hit rate improved to around 70 %.
I practiced extensively on Grockit.
My scores on tests ranged from 640 - 700.
GMAT Prep - 640 ( QA - 48 VA - 30 )
Princeton - 640 / 660 / 700 / 670 ( QA - 47 / 48 / 50 / 49 : VA 30 / 31 / 33 / 31 )
Veritas - 670 ( QA - 49 VA - 32 )

Clearly Verbal was an area where I needed to work harder. I made two observations : -
1) I used to take time on the CR questions.
2) The hit rate on CR & SC questions was around 65 - 70 %.

Finally considering the deadlines to schools I took and ended up with a 600.

What happened in the exam ?

Essays were ok , then came QA which I think I could have done a better job. I have been getting consistemt 48-49 so thought I just need to keep my cool and will do well. I had to guess last two- three questions which were some tough P&C and Area Calculation.
I knew I could have done a better job :oops:
Still knew I could pull it on Verbal I can get a decent score.

Verbal started ok , I was going smoothly till 10 questions in 18-19 mins. But then I lost touch of time and ended up in a scenario of last 15 questions remaining with 16 mins or so.
I ended up guessing last 5-6 questions as I was running out of time with many questions on my mind and in a complete state of panic. As I knew I had messed it up !! :cry:

A 27 told the story :evil:

The Problem and Post Mortem

1) NO STRATEGY
2) NO TIMING OR BENCHMARKS ( Never thought about this until read lot on GMAT Club , Manhattan forums )
3) Realised why a timed approach is so imperative to your preparation.
4) Going back and preparing a study plan.
5) take retake date only when I begin to show improvement in Verbal. ( initial target > 35 )

Road Ahead
I have college deadlines in Jan 2011. So a month to go.
I read a lot of debriefs on retake , stories from low - high scores and timing strategies.
Plan to go back to 1) PowerScore CR Bible to brush up on CR (2) Revise Manhattan SC
practice CR's and SC from 1000 series and GMAT Club questions.

One thing I know that I have to crack the 700+. I am ready to work diligently for it. I have a great diverse profile ( as told by experts ) and lot of achievements and accomplishments. So getting a good GMAT score will make my candidacy strong.

All help and suggestions will be really appreciated.

Thanks
Renegade.
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codes
First GMAT - 600 ( QA - 47 , VA - 27 ) - I'll fight back   [#permalink] 02 Dec 2011, 20:48