Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 00:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

First GMAT Mock Completed Cold Scored 470...How bad is this?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

First GMAT Mock Completed Cold Scored 470...How bad is this? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2008, 15:34
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Guys,

I just completed the Princeton Review GMAT mock test online; i did this with zero preparation, i just put a study plan together and the first thing i did was this mock. I have been out of school for 4 years, I scored 470 (30 math, 25 english) i believe...my goal is to score at least 680. I am on a 12 week study schedule as i work full time..is it likely that i will improve my score significantly? I need a confidence booster big time.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: First GMAT Mock Completed Cold Scored 470...How bad is this? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2008, 18:41
Well, that's what you get for taking it cold. ;-)

I wouldn't honestly read anything into it. While those tests are fairly accurate, the fact that you had no exposure at all to the GMAT itself and haven't done any practice in those areas in some time means the score is relatively meaningless. So shrug it off, pick up a review guide (PR's guide is actually really solid, I would get that one), and go through it from beginning to end. Get the Official Guide and do a good 15 or so practice questions, if not more, before taking another test.

If you're tanking on the practice questions, keep working at those before taking another timed test. Twelve weeks in general should be plenty of time to prep. Just stay on top of your prep schedule and you should be fine.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: First GMAT Mock Completed Cold Scored 470...How bad is this? [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2008, 09:40
Thanks, I needed that :)...I think thats exactly what i am going to do and then hopefully i will see some significant improvement.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 83 [1] , given: 0

Re: First GMAT Mock Completed Cold Scored 470...How bad is this? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 10:43
This post received
KUDOS
I scored a 470 on my first PR Practice Test. I'm now scoring around 700 on GMATPrep, PowerPrep, Manhattan Tests. So I think you should be fine, just use it as a wake up call to yourself that you are going to need some prep but with a little work you can get there.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: First GMAT Mock Completed Cold Scored 470...How bad is this? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 14:03
This post received
KUDOS
Sounds oddly similiar. I took my first test cold to see where I stood, and scored a 490. Within a short while I was around the 590-600 mark. Took the GMAt prematurely and scored a 580. Now my current practice exam scored me at a 620 as of last night.

Frustrating thing is that my verbal is awesome, but my quant is still really a huge struggle!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

Re: First GMAT Mock Completed Cold Scored 470...How bad is this? [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2008, 02:58
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,
Even i have scored 450 in my first attempt but now there is a boom in my scores i am sure by practicing more who will also increase your marks anyways best of luck.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: First GMAT Mock Completed Cold Scored 470...How bad is this? [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2008, 20:24
This post received
KUDOS
Don't be discouraged! I started off with a practice test around the 490 mark. Since I had no time to study for the GMAT since I was studying for the LSAT, working full time and also working a part time job, I only did extremely minimal studying (reviewing math concepts) for a few weeks. Then 2 weeks before test day, I started doing practice full-length tests a few evenings a week (and 3-4 hours of quant practice on evenings when I wasn't doing practice tests). I scored 740 on test day. So trust me, don't be discouraged by your first practice test. It means very little.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: First GMAT Mock Completed Cold Scored 470...How bad is this? [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2008, 05:40
Its definitely encouraging to hear other peoples experiences on this forum as they have or are likely going through the same process. Its even more encouraging to hear that most people show significant improvement with practice. Before I started studying, and when I mentioned the GMAT to friends who never wrote it, the common response was oh its high school math, you were pretty good at it you should do fine...so going into the practice was def a wake up call i needed, I think the most difficult thing for me will be dealing with the time constraint, but that comes with practice.

thx guys and best of luck to those who have not written yet.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: First GMAT Mock Completed Cold Scored 470...How bad is this? [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2014, 02:04
Hi All,

I have been preparing for the GMAT for the last two months.

I started taking full tests from Mar-02. So far,

Mar-02 : GMAT Prep test 1 : Score : 620
Apr-05 : MGMAT Free test : Score : 650
Apr-12 : Princeton test 1 : Score 510
Apr-12 : Princeton test 1 : Score 530

I am not sure why my score reduced drastically in the princeton tests. Can someone please explain :( Is princeton's scoring method tougher ?

Regards,
Vishwanath
Re: First GMAT Mock Completed Cold Scored 470...How bad is this?   [#permalink] 20 Apr 2014, 02:04