Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:15 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: First GMAT prep practice exam - realistic? [#permalink]
So I just did gmatprep2, I ran into some very very tough questions, hardest I have seen on gmatprep by far. I was running ahead of time, but got really bogged down and had to rush a bit at the end. I ended up with Q51 despite getting 5 wrong total and 3 of the last 7 wrong as time ran down. I got V45 without trying too hard and finished with a good amount of time left so verbal isn't really any worry for me at this point. My overall score was 770 (Q51, V45). I wrote both full essays, ensuring I took the full half hour for each, I reviewed them and shouldnt have a problem repeating my 6.0 on AWA, not that I really care lol.

Overall my Q scores were

MGMAT1 Q49
MGMAT2 Q48
MGMAT3 Q44 (first full test with essays, and very hungover)
MGMAT4 Q47
MGMAT5 Q48 (second full test)
MGMAT6 Q51 (7 wrong?)
GMATprep1 Q50 (2-3 wrong?)
GMATprep2 Q51 (third full test, 5 wrong)
Given Kudos:
Ready for your test???

I took GmatPrep1 last Saturday and received a 740. (Q50 V40) Finished Verbal with 20 minutes to spare so I think I'll be okay. Although 5 mistakes were from RC (whole BORING passage wrong) and 3 from CR... Just finished going thru Powerscore's CR guide, which is really good... I'm going to take GmatPrep 2 on Saturday to see if I can bring my Verbal up to a 45...

Good luck on Friday!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
getienne wrote:
Ready for your test???

I took GmatPrep1 last Saturday and received a 740. (Q50 V40) Finished Verbal with 20 minutes to spare so I think I'll be okay. Although 5 mistakes were from RC (whole BORING passage wrong) and 3 from CR... Just finished going thru Powerscore's CR guide, which is really good... I'm going to take GmatPrep 2 on Saturday to see if I can bring my Verbal up to a 45...

Good luck on Friday!!

Hahaha that's funny, the boring RC passages kill me too. One time I got 3 RC sections all on feminism. I think my verbal was like v37 after that hahaha.

I'm not doing any more prep before my exam, just resting from mon-thurs since my brain has enough stress at work lately. Im happy with something like Q47,V40 so hopefully I can pull that off. It really shouldn't be too hard, but I don't want to put too much expectation on myself and choke lol.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rjdunn03 wrote:
Good luck tomorrow buddy. You feeling good about things? I'm a little nervous for Saturday, but mostly just looking forward to having the whole test behind me.

I am feeling super nervous atm, 2 hours before the test, hopefully the nerves settle down in time for quant because that will make or break me!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
eragotte wrote:
rjdunn03 wrote:
Good luck tomorrow buddy. You feeling good about things? I'm a little nervous for Saturday, but mostly just looking forward to having the whole test behind me.

I am feeling super nervous atm, 2 hours before the test, hopefully the nerves settle down in time for quant because that will make or break me!

Yeah its the same for me. Please let us know how it turns out. Good luck.
Given Kudos:
I've been nervous for him for some reason... (Maybe it's because my exam is in 3 weeks). I hope/think he did well. I'm getting in the habit of relaxing on Friday nights now and taking a CAT on Saturday at my exam time. Took the third MGMAT last night (no essay) and got a 750 (Q48 V45). We need to put this silly exam to sleep once and for all...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
getienne wrote:
I've been nervous for him for some reason... (Maybe it's because my exam is in 3 weeks). I hope/think he did well. I'm getting in the habit of relaxing on Friday nights now and taking a CAT on Saturday at my exam time. Took the third MGMAT last night (no essay) and got a 750 (Q48 V45). We need to put this silly exam to sleep once and for all...

Thats a great score, looks like you are right on track to nail it. What are you shooting for?
Given Kudos:
I'll be happy with a 760 and above... Since I had a low gpa (aerospace) at a top school (Ivy, HYP) and will not be applying to B-school for a few years I would love a 770 or a 780 in case a 760 is no longer 99th percentile by the time I apply... Anything above that I just absurd... How u feeling? Hopefully both you guys will give good debriefs on a good experience to keep my nervousness down for these next 3 weeks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Hello,
I`ve just started out with my preparation for GMAT,like a week back.
I`ve started off with Verbal.
Quant is relatively a stronger domain for me.
But,the problem i see is with the tests.
When should i start taking the tests ?
I had given a mock gmat,quite a few months back. but am sure that wasn't any indicator of sorts,since i was totally unprepared.

How and when should i be taking the tests ?
Kindly direct.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey guys, I ended up with 750. The test I wrote was easy, definitely could solve every quant question in practice, but didn't write that strong a test. Full debrief coming and I'll link to it in this thread
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rjdunn03 wrote:
Yeah its the same for me. Please let us know how it turns out. Good luck.

Hope yours goes well too! and that those nerves settled down.

getienne wrote:

Looks like you've been super consistent. With you scoring those V45s on Manhattan I wouldn't be surprised if you got 99th percentile on verbal on the real thing

HD05 wrote:
Hello,
I`ve just started out with my preparation for GMAT,like a week back.
I`ve started off with Verbal.
Quant is relatively a stronger domain for me.
But,the problem i see is with the tests.
When should i start taking the tests ?
I had given a mock gmat,quite a few months back. but am sure that wasn't any indicator of sorts,since i was totally unprepared.

How and when should i be taking the tests ?
Kindly direct.

Do you have the manhattan tests? If so I definitely don't think it hurts to take one early on to see where you stand. I would not waste a GMATprep so early in the process though. You definitely want to have 4-5 tests left over for when you are done your prep to work specifically on test-taking strategy.

and finally, my debrief if you are interested:

from-670-to-750-may-retake-long-sorry-lol-121683.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
eragotte wrote:
Hey guys, I ended up with 750. The test I wrote was easy, definitely could solve every quant question in practice, but didn't write that strong a test. Full debrief coming and I'll link to it in this thread

Congratulations!! Thats a great score! I'm kinda feeling anxious right now, got about an hour before I head down to the testing center. I think I'll be able to calm myself down though. Hopefully I can nail it as well. By the way, what was your split Q, V?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rjdunn03 wrote:
Congratulations!! Thats a great score! I'm kinda feeling anxious right now, got about an hour before I head down to the testing center. I think I'll be able to calm myself down though. Hopefully I can nail it as well. By the way, what was your split Q, V?

Thanks :) I hope you calmed down before your test, I was feeling the same thing. I got Q49, V41. I am surprised that was a 750 because I have seen people get 750 with Q50,V41 and Q49,V44. I think it must mean I was on the high end of Q49, i.e. you can get Q49 with any where from 4 to 11 questions wrong from what I've seen, so there is probably some range of final score even within the same raw score.
Given Kudos:
Wow man congrats!!! In the process of reading your debrief... I'm guessing that Quant was just silly mistakes. But I'm glad you realize your first score was a serious fluke. Congrats again!!
Given Kudos:
Just took my 2nd gmat prep and got a 760. Q50 V44.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
getienne wrote:

My test went poorly today. I got a 730 - 45Q 45V. I think my nerves just got to me, and I got tons of geometry questions which is my weak area. I wrote a bit more about it in my thread. Anyway, I went ahead and rescheduled, I'll be joining you for the Nov 12th sitting.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rjdunn03 wrote:

My test went poorly today. I got a 730 - 45Q 45V. I think my nerves just got to me, and I got tons of geometry questions which is my weak area. I wrote a bit more about it in my thread. Anyway, I went ahead and rescheduled, I'll be joining you for the Nov 12th sitting.

730 is a good score, I know you can do better on the math though. I wouldn't call it going poorly with a 730 though nonetheless!!

getienne wrote:

nice, you seem to be pretty much ready over there
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5