Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 14:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

First Gmat prep test and test is a month away....

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 04-19-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

First Gmat prep test and test is a month away.... [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2012, 11:58
Hey everyone,

I started studying for the Gmat in January. I have been going through a lot of problems but haven't been that intense in my studying. I just took my first gmat prep cat and to put it nicely, it sucked. I got a 630, 41 quant and 35 verbal. My test is in a little over a month and I need to break a 700. I am looking to raise my scores to a 46 quant and a 40 verbal.

Quant was really hard... I felt like I was guessing on every other problem and almost just stopped taking the test. Thought I may as well complete it to see my score.

Verbal I haven't started studying yet. I spent way to long on a cr question and had to randomly guess on the last four. I got 12 wrong on the verbal section, 6 sentence corrections, the last 3 I got wrong all guesses and those were rc and cr. So besides for the carless error here and there, I think my I need to mainly study SC.

Can anyone give me any suggestions on these scores and if its realistic to get up to that 700 in a month? Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2012, 15:35
Hey there,

I think you definitely can improve to the 700 range.

Since you didn't mention what material you are using for your study, I am going to tell you my strategy. It worked for me so hopefully you can have some ideas. Briefly about my situation to explain why I think you can do it: TWO weeks before my real exam, I took the GMATPrep - got 600, and some other tests were in the 550-600 range. I was aiming for 700 so that freaked me out!!! After two week of intensive studying and practicing, I eventually got a 680 on the real one (Q:47, V:37), I was disappointed for not breaking the 700 and wished that I had started differently. But, since you still have one month, I think you just need to pick the right plan.

My problem was I didn't use any prep material at all from the beginning, besides doing problems in the Official Guide. That was a HUGE mistake!! I went through all the questions in the OG without major struggles so I thought I was doing well. I didn't realize that using other materials (Kaplan, Manhattan, Veritas...) would give you so much more insights of the topics that are tested. So after reading some posts on this website, I decided to get the Manhattan set. It was a saver!! I only had 2 weeks, so going through all of the books was impossible. But I went through the 5 books for Quant and the SC book. These books are extremely helpful with the way they introduce and explain all important topics that you need to know. Their practice exams are great too, you can familiarize yourself with the time pressure, and how to manage through a good number of hard questions. I did all of them and certainly felt more confident before the exam.

So that was my story. Hope it gives you some ideas. Let me know if you have any questions.
Good luck!
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 04-19-2012

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: First Gmat prep test and test is a month away.... [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2012, 16:12
Hey- Thats a sic score! 680 from 600 in two weeks, your a beast! I have the manhattan gmat books and I skimmed them lightly because I know all of the basics... I am not that far out of highschool and I remember most of this stuff. Obviously as I've been practicing I have brushed up but I am not sure what else to do.

During the Gmat prep- I felt like the questions were very random and not that representative of the questions from the og. Very few algebra based and more hard wording than I've seen. I had to guess on the last 3-4 quant as well blindly. I'm sure if I managed my time better that could have been a 42 or 43 in quant, still not the 46 though. I guess I'm just going to keep reviewing and taking two practice tests a week.

I don't know if you are but have you considered retaking? You were at a 680, thats a few questions away from a 700. My feeling is the questions you get, to some extent will be luck. You may suck at probability and get a 600 level one that still would be very difficult for ex- me and yet if it were algebra I'm sure it would be the opposite. So in that sense I think theres a random range where you -+ an easy 30 or 40 points depending on how it goes. Obviously it'll be less likely to get a 750 from a 710 than a 700 from a 660.

Thanks a lot again!
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.08
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 104

Re: First Gmat prep test and test is a month away.... [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2012, 18:20
Transfer, I would suggests going through the MGMAT guides thoroughly. Some of the tips and strategies are buried in there and can be quite useful. They often have great shortcuts that can save you a bunch of time in the quant section. I would also suggest doing the GMAT Club math questions. If you can master those you will improve your score.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: First Gmat prep test and test is a month away.... [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2012, 00:15
Hey there,

It's great that you've already used the MGMAT. I agree with Yekrut, you just need to go through the books thoroughly and keep practicing. Make sure you get all the tips and strategies, they are clever. And don't feel discouraged if you get low score on a practice test, sometimes it meant to be a little lower, and that's why you are studying.

I did consider retaking the test, however I have no time with application deadlines are approaching. So I have to go with that score for now.
Re: First Gmat prep test and test is a month away....   [#permalink] 12 Mar 2012, 00:15