Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 19:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

First of all , As most of us are aware by now , It has been

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: RHCE , CCNA, MCSE and Now GMAT ;)
WE: Operations (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 28

GMAT ToolKit User
First of all , As most of us are aware by now , It has been [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2011, 11:26
First of all ,

As most of us are aware by now , It has been inferred from recently held GMAC Summit, that emphasis in Idioms in SC section has shifted over to SC questions where the question stem has to be read critically to understand the meaning. End of the day we have most questions breaking down to two grammatically correct choice with one changing the meaning.

If you have missed all the action about these changes, look them here :
attention-gmat-takers-very-important-120728.html
http://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... orrection/
http://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... -the-gmac/

Dating back to Feb 22 ,2011 ( Ironically my dad's Birthday ), I found this article by a Veritas prep instructor named David who gave us insights on the questions involving " Change of meaning ". The whole credit goes to him. I am just referring the article below, which makes more sense in the current context.
http://www.beatthegmat.com/the-truth-ab ... 76648.html

Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: RHCE , CCNA, MCSE and Now GMAT ;)
WE: Operations (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 28

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: New Format - Change in meaning SC Questions Detailed ! [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2011, 11:43
Wow ,

In addition to above , This was Ron's ( the much renowned Mgmat Instructor ) 2 cents on Meaning dating back to an article on some other forum at around March 2011 :

well, meaning isn't always a *separate* issue. for instance:
* you use grammatical rules to assign modifiers, but the issue of whether the modifier is actually correct (i.e., whether the assignment makes sense) is a meaning issue, not a grammar issue.
* you use grammar to check whether a pronoun correctly matches singular/plural, but the assignment of the pronoun is a function of meaning, not grammar.
* ALL decisions about verb tense are based in meaning, not grammar. (grammar can tell you whether you should use a verb vs. something that's not a verb, but grammar has nothing to say about verb tenses.)
* parallelism is a function of both grammar and meaning.
etc.

there are very few error types that are only grammatical -- and some error types (such as modifiers, pronouns, and verb tenses) are never just grammatical issues -- so, if grammar is all you're thinking about, then a large proportion of the problems on the test are going to be inaccessible to you.

for instance:
the coach sent 12 players onto the field, which led to a penalty for his team.
--> this sentence has no grammar errors, but the "which" modifier creates a meaning error (i.e., it seems to be saying that the field itself caused a penalty).

the coach sent 12 players onto the field; it led to a penalty for his team.
--> again, this sentence has no grammar errors, but the pronoun creates the same meaning error (i.e., the sentence again seems to be saying that the field itself caused a penalty).

etc.

Re: New Format - Change in meaning SC Questions Detailed !   [#permalink] 19 Sep 2011, 11:43