Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Chartered Engineer
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: INSEAD - Class of 2013
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Fuqua
GMAT 2: 650
WE 1: Research in Neurology
WE 2: MORE research in Neurology
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Devastated...710 (Q47, V40) [#permalink]
Thanks for the encouraging words.

I know its a decent score, but at a certain point it wasn't so much about the score as it was about the work I put in and what I KNEW I was capable of. I never felt I "deserved" any score and always knew it was going to come down to my performance on game day. Which is why its a hard pill to swallow after doing consistently so well on the last few practice exams.

I've always been hard on myself. I like to set the bar high because I figure "shoot for the stars, and you might just make it to the moon". Its always been what's enabled me to achieve my goals since almost failing/dropping out of high school. All things considered, I'm sure you all understand why its a bummer.

I'm the last guy to ever take up a "woulda, shoulda, coulda" attitude, but this is just one of those times where it feels like I've been gutted, and the fact that Verbal did me is like salt on the wound. I know, I'm wingeing like a baby, but when I devote myself to things it really becomes my life for that period. Dammit. I almost thought I had it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
gutted by a 710?
i know how you feel, its not about the lower score compared to you practice tests, its that you didnt perform the way you thought you would. That is understandable, but at the end of the day two things are true here:
Like people said you score only opens doors, it doesn't close any, not even H/S

second, practice tests arent always dead on. I scored higher on the real thing than any practice test, your story and mine are both common. Dont take it as a knock on your skill.
Perhaps you had a bad day, were a little tired, hungry, etc etc. You saw repeats on those practice tests....that right there eliminates that test as a true indicator.

Also, at the end of the day just take it again if you think its worth it, it wont hurt, many people take the test more than once.

I see where you are coming from, but buck up champ, your being a crybaby......gutted? come on!

You should be humbled getting a score some people would kill for. Lots of people take the test 5 times and never come close to a 700..
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Chartered Engineer
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: INSEAD - Class of 2013
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Dantastic wrote:
Thanks for the encouraging words.

I know its a decent score, but at a certain point it wasn't so much about the score as it was about the work I put in and what I KNEW I was capable of. I never felt I "deserved" any score and always knew it was going to come down to my performance on game day. Which is why its a hard pill to swallow after doing consistently so well on the last few practice exams.

I've always been hard on myself. I like to set the bar high because I figure "shoot for the stars, and you might just make it to the moon". Its always been what's enabled me to achieve my goals since almost failing/dropping out of high school. All things considered, I'm sure you all understand why its a bummer.

I'm the last guy to ever take up a "woulda, shoulda, coulda" attitude, but this is just one of those times where it feels like I've been gutted, and the fact that Verbal did me is like salt on the wound. I know, I'm wingeing like a baby, but when I devote myself to things it really becomes my life for that period. Dammit. I almost thought I had it.

:) I exactly know how you feel. Went through the motions some 5 months back. :)
I am sure in a weeks time, when the bitterness is gone, you will sit back and feel happy about the 710.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M$)
Send PM
Hey! 710 is a great score, I just earned it today after 6 months of study and 2 attempts :)
jokes aside.. GMAT verbal is much tougher than lame questions found in OG or GMAT prep. If you're not great in verbal (that your test scores prove) you won't be able to get 750+. That was negative news.

Now, positive news: 710 is an average score of virtually all of top-10 US mba schools. Why do you need more? Score-wise you are on the radar of ANY biz school of this planet! Now, it's better to polish your essays and recommendations and TOEFL instead of wasting time in pursuing vague 7..0 scores (.. being either 0 or 9).

Congratulations!! Please thank yourself for efforts and focus on VALUE-ADDING activities listed above ^^^^
:)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sorry you feel that way. 710 is a great score whether you want to hear it or not....
Take a look at the stats of accepted applicants - many do have 710 or score around that level. Unless you are aiming for a score-based scholarship, or have time to really retake comfortably (some do better the second time just because it is the second time, then maybe....

should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html?highlight=ml303
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks guys. I still feel a bit raw, but much better than I did a couple of days ago. Though I know 710 is indeed not a bad score, most of the bitterness comes from knowing what I was capable of and choking when it counted.

I have (in the eyes of most top schools) a rather average GPA (3.2-3.3) from an average university. My upper division GPA is great (4.06/4.33) because I started really trying in third year, but most top schools look at the cumulative GPA. My undergrad school graded each class on a bell curve, which made it significantly more difficult to achieve A's and A+'s (because you're essentially competing with everyone else), but I don't know whether B-schools take these sort of things into consideration.

Anyways, because my GPA and GMAT score are the only indicators of my ability to endure the academic rigors of a top school, I really wanted to blow the GMAT out of the water. I just don't feel that a 710 is representative of my true ability. The 5 schools I opted to send my scores to were: Chicago Booth, London Business School, Harvard Business School, Wharton, and Columbia.

The plan now: I'm going to Asia for a month (pre-planned trip) in a couple of days. After I get back, I'm going to take a GMAT Prep cold and see how I do. If I score close to 700+ on my first try back, I'll study for another 2-3 weeks and retake the test with a different approach to verbal. If I score significantly less (650 range), I wont bother retaking, since I start my job in July and want to spend time doing other things.

I'm not planning on applying to B-school until I have more work experience, which is why I'm not shifting my focus to essays and other parts of my applications just yet. So the time I have left before starting my job is time I can actually use towards the GMAT without taking anything away from the rest of my application.

I'll probably check out the Admissions Consulting section of this forum and get some advice on my profile as well.

thanks again.

Originally posted by Dantastic on 05 Apr 2011, 10:42.
Last edited by Dantastic on 05 Apr 2011, 11:41, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
You are in the same exact position as me. My GPA is rather low so I was hoping my GMAT would compensate for that. I scored a 670 yesterday but my practice tests were all around 720+ so I was rather disappointed. I ended up sending my scores to the same schools as you.

Unfortunately, I will be traveling for the next two months (pre-planned as well) and I am hoping I don't lose touch with the material since I am definitely going to retake. I am starting my job in June and I know I am not going to have any time to study after that.

Dantastic wrote:
Thanks guys. I still feel a bit raw, but much better than I did a couple of days ago. Thought I know 710 is indeed not a bad score, most of the bitterness comes from knowing what I was capable of and choking when it counted.

I have (in the eyes of most top schools) a rather average GPA (3.2-3.3) from an average university. My upper division GPA is great (4.06/4.33) because I started really trying in third year, but most top schools look at the cumulative GPA. My undergrad school graded each class on a bell curve, which made it significantly more difficult to achieve A's and A+'s (because you're essentially competing with everyone else), but I don't know whether B-schools take these sort of things into consideration.

Anyways, because my GPA and GMAT score are the only indicators of my ability to endure the academic rigors of a top school, I really wanted to blow the GMAT out of the water. I just don't feel that a 710 is representative of my true ability. The 5 schools I opted to send my scores to were: Chicago Booth, London Business School, Harvard Business School, Wharton, and Columbia.

The plan now: I'm going to Asia for a month (pre-planned trip) in a couple of days. After I get back, I'm going to take a GMAT Prep cold and see how I do. If I score close to 700+ on my first try back, I'll study for another 2-3 weeks and retake the test with a different approach to verbal. If I score significantly less (650 range), I wont bother retaking, since I start my job in July and want to spend time doing other things.

I'll probably check out the Admissions Consulting section of this forum and get some advice on my profile as well.

thanks again.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Hey I would do anything for a 710, enjoy it for a moment. I understand that you wanted to go beyond the barriers of the 720 and obliterate this test, but remember you are around the top 10% of people taking this test worldwide. The score is just a baseline measurement, it's nice to have, but what gets you into school is really what you have done in the past and can convey to the adcomms.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Send PM
What is the cause of the drop in your score? Was it test anxiety, overinflated practice test scores, unfamiliar questions, timing, etc.? And did you stumble on any particular area in quant (Probability, Number Properties), and verbal (SC, RC, CR)? I am about to write my GMAT in a month or so, and I would really appreciate some advice because I am scoring very similar to you on the practice exams. Also, how did you find Manhattan CATs (were they easier or harder, was the content similar or foreign)? I apologize for pestering you after your bad experience, but I really think a comprehensive debrief would benefit the online community. Thanks!

-artistocrat
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Dantastic wrote:
I'm absolutely devastated guys...

I just got back from the testing center. 710 (Q47, V40). I'm so choked right now. I know the usual "its not a bad score", but considering my practice tests and the fact that verbal is supposed to be my strong point, I'm super depressed. I would have been able to come to terms with an inferior quant score... but this just adds insult to injury.

Feels like I've wasted a fantastic opportunity. especially feels like I've wasted a decent quant score on a sub-par verbal score.

This is just the score I DIDNT want to get, because its an awkward half-way score which makes deciding whether to take it again or not extremely difficult.

I would have been perfectly fine with a 720 and never taking it again... knowing that it was probably a couple of questions that made the difference just kills me.

I dont really know what else to say...I'm still dazed, depressed, angry, etc.

Contrary to what people have said, accounting for pressure factors and variability of test conditions, I think your score falls within the expected range, which is a +/- 40 points of what you normally score. You were scoring around 730-740. But at the same time, if I were you, I'd keep the momentum going and just retake in the next period with more focused preparation on your weaknesses. Consolidate your study plan. Approach it meticulously. MGMAT is a really good indicator of your tests. And since you took them once, reset it and take them again. Use the assessment reports to figure out your strengths/weaknesses.

Good luck
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Economics/ Finance
Schools:Wake Forest
Send PM
Dantastic wrote:
Thanks guys. I still feel a bit raw, but much better than I did a couple of days ago. Though I know 710 is indeed not a bad score, most of the bitterness comes from knowing what I was capable of and choking when it counted.

I'm not planning on applying to B-school until I have more work experience, which is why I'm not shifting my focus to essays and other parts of my applications just yet. So the time I have left before starting my job is time I can actually use towards the GMAT without taking anything away from the rest of my application.

thanks again.

Keep in mind many have gotten rejected from the top 10's with scores higher than yours... Look around these forums and you'll see folks with 750+ who got dinged. You can't do anything about your GPA and you have a great GMAT score. However, those 2 factors combined are still not getting in you alone (to a top 10). Remember B School is about the "entire picture". Honestly, 10 points isn't going to do much, if I were you I'd be more worried about developing your 'story' and what is going to make you unique (I promise a GMAT score usually isn't going to be that factor). If you haven't done anything worthwhile in your life, than your GMAT score is the least of your worries come admissions time (not saying you haven't of course but just keep it in perspective).
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
So, are you still thinking about retaking?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'm still thinking about it. My plan is, after my trip, I'll take a GMAT Prep cold without any studying, and see how I do. If i'm in the 700 range, then I'll plan to retake and study for 2 or 3 weeks.

If I score significantly less, like 650, then I will probably not retake, because I get back in mid-may, start work in July, and dont really want to spend the remainder of my free time doing the GMAT again. (have got some other goals I want to achieve before starting, such as volunteer work)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
Send PM
Yea its kind of an awkward score. I came up on this looking for similar Q and V breakups. I personally don't think I can justify it to myself to take it once more since it would be the 4th time.
So I keep telling myself that though 720 was just a couple of questions away, I am thankful that I got an additional 2 right to 'slightly' distinguish me from the 700 psychological hump which is even more awkward (I was aiming for a +700). Though I'm disappointed about my Q score. Have not been able to bump it to a +80th%tile in 3 attempts! :|
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderator:
Founder
37310 posts