Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 14:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Devastated...710 (Q47, V40)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Devastated...710 (Q47, V40) [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2011, 22:31
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello everyone, this is my first post on the forums! But over the last 3 months I've been studying extremely hard and have been lurking. I must say this community is AWESOME! Super helpful and looks quite friendly. As I need to get back to studying, I'll try and keep this short. I dont post much on forums, but my nerves are getting the better of me, and I need an avenue to build confidence and get some anxiety out.

TEST DAY: Saturday, April 2 @ 12:00PM
GOAL: 720+

A little background: Starting in January, I had 6 months off before starting my new job at a financial institution. Studied finance in my undergrad. I figure I'd make good use of the time by doing the GMAT. Started my prep in January with Kaplan's in-classroom course. Good for the basics, but felt I needed more on the fundamentals. So I picked up the MGMAT strategy guides for quant (I am a native english speaker), and hit the books hard. Since I have nothing to do, I've been studying on average about 8 solid hours a day (excluding food breaks, and other breaks.) This past month and a half its been closer to 10 hours per day.

I figure I'll never do as well as I can now, while I have so much free time, so might as well take my best shot. Despite coming from a finance background quants are my biggest weakness. I've always feared math. lol dont ask why I studied finance.

So now its a week before the big day, and thus far these are my test scores since January (did not include subscores, but like I said quant is definitely my weakness. Verbal is pretty consistent at 45 range / 99th percentile. Quant ranges anywhere from 42 - 48.):

Kaplan:
CAT1 590 (Diagnostic)
CAT2 630
CAT3 650
CAT4 700
CAT5 710
CAT6 680 (horrible day overall)
CAT7 760
CAT8 710
CAT9 760

Manhattan:
CAT1 750 (untimed, to assess where fundamentals were lacking)
CAT2 720
CAT3 720
CAT4 710
CAT5 740 (Q47, V45)
CAT6 750 (Q48, V45)

GMAT Prep Version 1
CAT 1 730 (Q45, V44) (Taken last week while I had a really bad flu)
CAT 2 740 (Q49, V42)

GMAT Prep Version 2 (I hope)
CAT 1 760 (Q49, V46) (about 3 quant questions repeated from GMAT Prep Version 1)
CAT 2 760 (Q50, V44)

Real GMAT: 710 (Q47, V40)

I'm absolutely terrified right now. I know I should be confident in the amount of time and preparation I've put in, but i guess its just human nature to be nervous.

Anyhow, if anyone has opinions or input as to what sort of score I can expect based on my practice test scores, or any advice going into this final week, it would be GREATLY appreciated. Even just some words of encouragement would be great! I still have 5 CATs to write between now and then so will try to keep this post updated.

Many thanks

Dan

P.S. Hope I dont come off as the selfish type that takes advantage of forums and only posts when I need something - I do plan on contributing with my experiences long after I have completed the test. :)

Last edited by Dantastic on 02 Apr 2011, 15:31, edited 9 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: First Post: One week left until the GMAT [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2011, 05:25
Check out http://gmatclub.com/gmat-score-calculator/

It should give you an idea of what to expect. Based on your scores, it looks like 720 would be a reasonable estimate, just dont let your nerves get the best of you come test day.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Fuqua
WE 1: Research in Neurology
WE 2: MORE research in Neurology
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 55

GMAT Tests User
Re: First Post: One week left until the GMAT [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2011, 06:58
Your goal is right on par with where you are scoring, I think all of your exams would coincide with a 720 on test day. You seem to have an excellent base and have covered all of the test areas to be consistently scoring in the 700+ range, with various prep companies.

Back to the grind, goal 700+

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: First Post: One week left until the GMAT [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2011, 10:10
thanks for the replies!

I've tried using the score calculator, but it seems the estimates for Kaplan scores are a bit outdated. (based on old Kaplan scores which were alot lower than the real exam)

I understand that up until about November of 2010, Kaplan CATs were much harder and scored much lower than the real test. I spoke to the Kaplan instructor about that, and he said that in November of 2010, they revamped the entire course and CATs.

He said that their old strategy was to just make the CATs as hard as possible, but ever since they took over MGMAT, they've tried to incorporate more fundamentals into the course, and make the CATs more representative.

Now, I would actually say that quants on Kaplan CATs are significantly easier than both MGMAT and GMAT Prep. I would say their verbal is pretty solid. Close to the real thing. They are worded much better than MGMAT in my opinion.

Overall, I would say ranked by difficulty (easiest to hardest), the CATs are: Kaplan, GMAT Prep, MGMAT

I've noticed the difficulty level for MGMAT quants fluctuates quite alot. In some CATs the quant seems reasonable and I score 48, in other CATs it just seems ridiculously hard/long and I score 42.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Fuqua
WE 1: Research in Neurology
WE 2: MORE research in Neurology
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 55

GMAT Tests User
Re: First Post: One week left until the GMAT [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2011, 12:07
Honestly almost everyone sees the same thing, a range of 100 points for the most part, I know I did, and I went from Q45 down to Q42 back up to Q46, then on real test day I flopped and got Q42, had I reviewed some of my earlier quant MGMATs I think I could have made up for it and scored higher. MGMAT quants are plenty of material for test day. I honestly cannot attest to Kaplan except for their older pre-2011 CATs which were MUCH harder than the real exam ever was. Hope this helps :)

Back to the grind, goal 700+

Intern
Intern

Re: First Post: One week left until the GMAT [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2011, 15:11
From all the test scores that I've seen and people's comments regarding MGMAT CATs, it seems like holding other factors constant, if a person is weak on quants, the MGMAT CATs generally underestimate the quant score, but overestimate the verbal score. Just an observation, but I notice that people whose native language is not english score similar if not slightly lower on the real GMAT than on MGMAT, while those who are strong in verbal but weaker in quants tend to score higher on the real thing than MGMAT CATs.

P.S. original post updated with today's GMAT Prep score. Kind of botched the verbal... slammed a redbull during the second break when I didnt really need it and it gave me serious jitters for the second half. Ran out of time on the last 2 questions. I'll update again once MGMAT CAT 5 is finished later tonight!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2287

Kudos [?]: 8910 [0], given: 3671

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: First Post: One week left until the GMAT [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2011, 15:50
Expert's post
You can check this: GMAT Score Calculator to get an idea of what your score can be expected in the best/worst scenario.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: First Post: One week left until the GMAT [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2011, 17:26
Thanks bb!

I've been using that calculator with my MGMAT and GMAT Prep scores :-D It says I should be right on track to a 720

just about to start MGMAT CAT5. Lets see how this goes...
Intern
Intern

Re: First Post: One week left until the GMAT [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2011, 22:28
Update: Took my second CAT today (I'm so smoked right now). Suffice to say I won't be doing that again. Once just to test my stamina was enough...

Score updated on original post. GMAT Prep and MGMAT both gave me 740 today, so I'm relieved. Hope I can keep it up for the real deal
Intern
Intern

Re: First Post: One week left until the GMAT [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2011, 15:08
Only TWO DAYS left!!!

Original Post updated with latest Kaplan, MGMAT and GMAT Prep CAT Scores (Including my first GMAT Prep Version 2). My goal is still 720+! I know I should be confident, but it all comes down to nerves now and I'm scared that nerves might get the better of me on test day and undermine my true ability.

One caveat: I noticed about 3 or 4 quant questions that I saw in GMAT Prep Version 1. I've scoured the forums in search of an explanation, but have found limited information. No repeats for verbal.

Further, both GMAT Prep Version 1 and Version 2 appear to have identical AWA. When I noticed this, I tried to re-download the latest GMAT Prep from mba.com but the installer only gave me options to "modify" "repair" and "remove", which leads me to believe I have the latest version installed.

I checked the software info to make sure both copies weren't the same version, and one says "Version 1.1" and the other says "Version 1.2"

are these the correct versions? I certainly hope I'm not using the same one because today and tomorrow are supposed to be dedicated to taking the latest GMAT Prep exams.

Any thoughts?
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: First Post: One week left until the GMAT [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2011, 11:48
Can't answer your questions, but good luck on the exam. Just remember to breathe :D
Intern
Intern

Re: First Post: One week left until the GMAT [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2011, 14:53
Thanks! I'll definitely try.

Just took my last CAT before the real thing today. GMAT Prep Version 2 - CAT 2. Original post updated.

scored a 760 on both my latest GMAT Preps (Q49, V46) (Q50, V44), respectively.

My goal still hasn't changed from 720, but it sure would be awesome if I could pull of something higher!

Does anyone have any tips on what to do the day before (ie. tomorrow). My exam is this Saturday. I understand the general consensus is just to chill out and rest the brain, but would like an hour or two of practice questions hurt that much? Or is it better to do absolutely NO practice whatsoever?

Fingers crossed!
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: First Post: One week left until the GMAT [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2011, 15:02
There's a thread on that in "off topic discussions". I'm on my phone right now tho so I can't grab the link.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: First Post: One week left until the GMAT [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2011, 15:32
good luck on your exam...
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: One day left until the GMAT [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2011, 16:20
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: One day left until the GMAT [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2011, 16:25
good reference thread jko
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: One day left until the GMAT [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2011, 20:13
good luck on the exam
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2287

Kudos [?]: 8910 [0], given: 3671

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: One day left until the GMAT [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2011, 19:03
Expert's post
How did it go?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: One day left until the GMAT [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2011, 00:44
Yah tell us how you did...

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Devastated...710 (Q47, V40) [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2011, 15:35
This post received
KUDOS
I'm absolutely devastated guys...

I just got back from the testing center. 710 (Q47, V40). I'm so choked right now. I know the usual "its not a bad score", but considering my practice tests and the fact that verbal is supposed to be my strong point, I'm super depressed. I would have been able to come to terms with an inferior quant score... but this just adds insult to injury.

Feels like I've wasted a fantastic opportunity. especially feels like I've wasted a decent quant score on a sub-par verbal score.

This is just the score I DIDNT want to get, because its an awkward half-way score which makes deciding whether to take it again or not extremely difficult.

I would have been perfectly fine with a 720 and never taking it again... knowing that it was probably a couple of questions that made the difference just kills me.

I dont really know what else to say...I'm still dazed, depressed, angry, etc.
Re: Devastated...710 (Q47, V40)   [#permalink] 02 Apr 2011, 15:35