Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 01:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

First shot - 670 (Q 51, V 28)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

First shot - 670 (Q 51, V 28) [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2004, 05:34
Hi all,

I was quite depressed day before yesterday (august 23rd) that i could not mail all you people. I have not expected that low score in my verbal. Even in my all practice tests - i got between 32 and 44. I aimed at above 730.

Test Experience:-

AWA - was good. quite controversial issue. But at the end it was okay.

taken 5 minutes break.

Maths - went it. i got simple question in the first 10. one good question in 10 - 20. two exceptional questions in 20 - 30. one of them is highly logical. i say that is very tough question. It's like GRE tough analytical type in DS format. one very long calculation problem (bored to do that for 4 minutes) in 30 - 37. However i completed it 10 minutes before.

verbal - i know where i went wrong in verbal. my suggestion don't stuck up some where if any question is beyond your limits. i got 2 SC + 1 CR + 2 SC + 1 CR+ 4 R + 1 SC + (4 RC - very tough one). Actually, terminology of that RC is very different from normal GMAT stuff. tough terminology. Probably this is experimental RC otherwise i could not have got that low score as i got that much tough question at the start itself. i wasted 12 minutes time for it. i had a plan to follow 54 (first 10) - 36 (second 10) - 18 (30) - 0 (end) time strategy. but, for 10 - 20 i wasted too much time. At the end of of 20the question i was at 30 time remaining. From that i was never on. Just nervous to complete remaining. 3rd RC was too lengthy (80 lines) . 4th RC i got at 38,39,40. so, i just could not have to study RC as left with 2 minutes. guessed it wisely. That's it.

I got my lowest score in verbal in actual gmat.

I am planning to give in december end or january beginning again.

my practice test scores

Kaplan - 630,610,640,640
ETS paper tests - 680,690,720,720,740,730
Princeton - 700,680,730,740
Powerprep - first time (at the start of preperation - 680, 640)
at the end of my preperation -
PP1 - 770
PP2 - 750

So i have to give it another try as my university generally takes 720 (average) for 1+ experince people.

That's it from me.

bye
syamee_u
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2004, 07:59
Congrats on 670. By all means it is a good score. I can understand your frustration. Try another time but do not neglects maths. I am sure few more correct questions will make you swing in 700 zone.

Bhai
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 670 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2004, 12:46
Hi Syamee

Its a very very common problem and dare i say, its normal, with most test takers. Just needs a bit of work. Dont let it affect you too much.

The key here, in your case, was time management. Its good that now you know one of the areas that you have to work on.

Time management remains one of the most important and probably often neglected areas and its understandable. with the limited time we have, we try to work on concepts and solve as many problems as we can. Time management often remains at the end of the priority list.

IMO, time management is linked to the quality of our prep. The more confident we are , the faster we solve problems.

I started an experiment a few months ago where i posted a Challenge problem and ask members to time themselves... Somewhere along the line, i ran out of good questions and could not continue it... but anyways.. my point of doing that experiment was to let you guys to solve problems under time constraints.

We then came back with the math challenges. The comparison ranking system rewards members both for being right and for being fast. We hope that the challenge will be an effective tool as far as your prep is concerned.

Sincerely
Praetorian
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2004, 21:13
Hi preat,

TIME MANAGEMENT IS VERY IMPORTANT in GMAT exam. I need some suggestions for it.

TRY to follow strict time conditions in practice and DONT stuck up in some question.

Now, i have to improve my verbal skills. Again, i will participate in GMAT CLUB regularly.

Thanks,
syamee_u
  [#permalink] 27 Aug 2004, 21:13