Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 01:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

First time GMAT 750 (Q:50, V:42) with 2 month Prep

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [1] , given: 57

First time GMAT 750 (Q:50, V:42) with 2 month Prep [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2013, 22:51
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Back-Ground

- 2011 Mechanical Engineering Graduate from India
- 2 1/2 years work experience in Analytics Domain (SAS, Statistical Modelling,etc)
- Last 15 months of the work experience from US (Cincinnati, OH) & currently still in the US
AIM : to utilize my spare time after work, on studying for the GMAT, & do it the best I could, aiming for something 700+

Approach

- Since I didnt know much about the GMAT exam requirements or format initially, I spent a good amount of time reading the intro materials on this forum
- Realized I was good in Quant (thanks to the engineering background) but really poor in Verbal
- Signed up for a 1 year online course on Magoosh & started watching all the Verbal videos & using their mobile app while going to work
- The concepts were explained quite well & I felt I was getting better; I took my first mock GMAT prep test using 800score.com ; I got a poor 640
- Identified my poor score was due to weakness in Reading Comprehension (RC) as I was jumping to conclusions without fully reading/giving enough time on the information
- I completed the video-watching + RC revision over a period of 2 months (Oct & Nov 2013) and realized I had 2 weeks before my test on Dec 7th
- The last 8 days, I spent writing back-to-back GMAT exams on 800score.com as well as Magoosh's own question banks (I did a total of 6 GMAT exams in the last 10 days, and scores ranging from 680 to 700))

Final GMAT EXAM Prep

- I slept early the day before the exam & made sure I reached the exam center 2 hours in advance; It was good to get familiar with the exam writing environmen
- After each exam section, I took walks around outside (in the 8 min break-period) and did basic stretching & Squats (to get the blood flowing well)
- I felt I had done the Quant section well, but I wasnt too sure of the Verbal section, as I was a little slow & had to guess the last 2 answers
- When the score popped up, I was really surprised & happy to get the 750 score! I was expecting something 700ish, but it was a good surprise!

Humble advice for those seeking high scores

- Identify your weak spots & hammer them with practice questions, understand the GMAT exam maker's mindset
- Dont spend time studying Quant/revising chapters in Quant, unless you are already good in Verbal (42, 43+ consistently); You are better served improving Verbal scores than Quant
- Stay calm when writing tests - You need to devise an approach that works for you to keep your cool in tense situations; It might be simply breathing or counting from 1 to 10, but staying calm can mean a huge difference in scores because you'll not jeopardize your performance post tough questions

I wish everyone the very best! Do the exam well, its not the end of the world if things dont go well. You can always try it again! :)

Regards,
Vishnu

Regards,
Vishnu

Article --> http://www.topmba.com/blog/could-mba-de ... ay-forward

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
First time GMAT 750 (Q:50, V:42) with 2 month Prep   [#permalink] 20 Dec 2013, 22:51