Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 22:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

First Time incredibly disappointing 610 -advice-

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

First Time incredibly disappointing 610 -advice- [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2006, 10:49
I just took the GMAT earlier today and got a 610 47Q 82% 27V 45% total 73%

I honestly can't even believe I did that poorly on the verbal cosidering my absolute worst verbal score on any practice test was a 34. I did somewhat neglect studying the verbal b/c I felt that the Quant was going to be more difficult than the verbal and the highest Quant, I scored on any practice test was a 47. Go figure that I would score pretty well on the Quant and bomb the verbal. I don't know if any of you have taken the test recently but I felt like I got the first 10 quant questions right...didn't really seen that bad and actually got surprisingly difficult at the end...I ran out of time and guessed on the last 3 quant questions, literally just clicking on an answer, and still managed a 47 which I was surprised to see. A 27 verbal makes me want to puke and the worst part is that English is my first language....lol..back to the grind I guess. Any advice? Good verbal books to buy?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Manhattan SC [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2006, 11:22
Sorry about the 27. I took my first and got a V42. Afterward I picked up OG 11(havent touched it yet) Kaplan 800 and MGMAT SC. The kaplan 800 is good for CR, helps you think a little more critically. I've been through about one third of the SC book and its great. I just did a GMAT prep and got V47, and I think after the SC book is finished will score even better. I would strongly suggest that one if you do not have it. And, as you have the quant down so well I would look at the SC like math. Memorize all the rules and apply them. I find as the SC questions get harder you definitely cannot rely on how they sound. I had a few where the correct answer was downright akward, I would not write nor speak that way, yet the test makes you choose the bizaare option. And the test is tricky. I got two of the exact same type of SC wrong. Damn them. Wont make that mistake again. So I think you could use a system of sorts. The other helpful tip that many have provided is to paraphrase the RC sections. I personally do not read them. I read the question and then look for the relevant section/answer. When I took the real GMAT I finished with 20 minutes left. Of course I ran out on Quant and only had 41!

I think with a little practice your verbal score will soar. You obviously have the brainpower based on your quant.

Best of luck.

Eric
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2006, 14:07
Thanks Eric I appreciate the advice...I'm not sure if it was a focus problem or what but the verbal just seemed more difficult than the gmat prep, manhattan gmat or any other tests I've taken. I will definitely get going on those books....just out of curiosity what does the OG 11 book entail. I keep on seeing everyone talk about the OG books/practice tests and I don't even know what the OG stants for? I've been hesitant to ask but considering how retarded I feel now after getting a 27 I can't embarrass myself anymore than I already have...lol...

Jeff
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2006, 19:13
jfd - OG is the "official GMAT" book that's available from the makers of GMAT. It's invaluable for preparation. In conjunction with the GMATPrep (the software from the GMAC), this book is what you absolutely need for true preparation.

http://www.gmat.com will give you more info - but you should get these resources first.

http://onwardtomba.blogspot.com - MBA, GMAT, INSEAD - the journey.
My 7 GMAT Quant Strategies/Trap
My GMAT Debrief

[#permalink] 18 Dec 2006, 19:13