Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 06:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

First time taking the test without any studying.. good/bad?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 19

First time taking the test without any studying.. good/bad? [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2012, 03:45
hello,
I have started a course this week in my country (which is not the US) and had 1 verbal class and 1 quantitative class.
Our teachers told us to take GMAT Prep test 1.
I took it and got 36Q/18V.
I am very disappointed with my verbal score. I never had problems with the English language and aced all exams (High-school, SAT's, University exams/assignments).
I am planning to take the GMAT at the end of December (19 or 24) means I have 2.5 months to improve.
I am an engineer working in a high-tech company but can study at least 6 hours a day plus more during weekends.
I did a long research in this forum and acquired: all MGMAT books (used but for a great price!) PowerScore CR and I can access Kaplan's website (via the course im taking)

do I have enough time? what should be my strategy?
For verbal I plan to go threw the MGMAT books, then PowerScore.
any thoughts, suggestions or help is highly appreciated!!!
thanks in advance,
Roy

If my answer helped, dont forget KUDOS! :)

IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 294

Kudos [?]: 693 [0], given: 6

Re: First time taking the test without any studying.. good/bad? [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2012, 12:31
Expert's post
Sounds like a plan. If the books aren't working for you, try watching video tutorials online. You can, for example, see video explanations for OG13 quant questions (free) here http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... -questions. Also a good idea is to record your responses on the site to track your performance and revisit the ones you get wrong as you study. If you have the GMAT Pill HD iPad app - you can download these videos and view them on-the-go.

The good news is there's room for improvement and you have time - so make good use of what you have. Focus, then rest, then focus. Good luck!

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 19

Re: First time taking the test without any studying.. good/bad? [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2012, 06:17
gmatpill wrote:
Sounds like a plan. If the books aren't working for you, try watching video tutorials online. You can, for example, see video explanations for OG13 quant questions (free) here http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... -questions. Also a good idea is to record your responses on the site to track your performance and revisit the ones you get wrong as you study. If you have the GMAT Pill HD iPad app - you can download these videos and view them on-the-go.

The good news is there's room for improvement and you have time - so make good use of what you have. Focus, then rest, then focus. Good luck!

thanks for the above!
what about a comment on the score?
is it normal? below average?
regards,
Roy

If my answer helped, dont forget KUDOS! :)

IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 294

Kudos [?]: 693 [0], given: 6

Re: First time taking the test without any studying.. good/bad? [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2012, 19:03
Expert's post
roygush wrote:
thanks for the above!
what about a comment on the score?
is it normal? below average?
regards,
Roy

Hi roygush,

The 18V is a bit low roughly at the 15th percentile. 50th percentile is at roughly V28 so you should definitely focus your attention on verbal.

The quant section can improve as well. With 36Q, you're roughly in the 43 percentile. For top bschools, you should shoot for 80th percentile and above for both sections.

But not to worry - many people who end up scoring in the target zone didn't start off like that. With the strategy, dedication, focus, and preparation - you can move in the right direction.

For more info on GMAT scoring, go to: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-prep-about ... ile-score/

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: First time taking the test without any studying.. good/bad?   [#permalink] 30 Sep 2012, 19:03