Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
I'm going for investment banking. The two most popular career choices are banking and consulting (shocker). You pretty much have to choose whether you'd rather be on the road a lot, or if you'd prefer to be in your office a lot. I guess I'd rather work hard and sleep in my own bed most nights (on the nights I'm allowed to go home :)) than hang out in airports and hotel bars.

I've also got several interviews with hedge funds coming up, but their recruiting has been disjointed so it's hard to gauge whether they are truly interested.

Is it hard to land internships at the top tier firms? It seems as if they hire many more full-times than interns.
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
For the top schools, I believe the common belief is that consulting firms hire a lot more for full-time than for internship. On the other hand, the common belief for bank hiring is that it's extremely difficult to secure a full-time job if you didn't do an internship. Most of the 2Ys that are able to land bank jobs actually just move between firms.

As to whether it is hard, I'll have a good answer in about 3-4 weeks. From what I can tell, about 2/3 of the people interested in banking here will land top-tier jobs. I kind of feel like the 1/3 that aren't able to land top jobs have only themselves to blame; whether it be poor networking skills, bad manners, lack of effort or just plain rudeness. For consulting firms, I think far fewer end up with internship offers, but many are laying the groundwork for full-time jobs next year.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
For the top schools, I believe the common belief is that consulting firms hire a lot more for full-time than for internship. On the other hand, the common belief for bank hiring is that it's extremely difficult to secure a full-time job if you didn't do an internship. Most of the 2Ys that are able to land bank jobs actually just move between firms.

As to whether it is hard, I'll have a good answer in about 3-4 weeks. From what I can tell, about 2/3 of the people interested in banking here will land top-tier jobs. I kind of feel like the 1/3 that aren't able to land top jobs have only themselves to blame; whether it be poor networking skills, bad manners, lack of effort or just plain rudeness. For consulting firms, I think far fewer end up with internship offers, but many are laying the groundwork for full-time jobs next year.

What does 'laying the groundwork for full-time jobs' entail? What kind of internships do these people do? Do people ever do banking in the summers before moving to consulting full-time?
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
To me, laying the groundwork means getting to know the recruiters, learning about the firm and showing interest. When they come back next year and hire for full-time positions, these people should be in the best position.

Some people take banking internships and then switch to consulting the next year, but the reality is that you really can't effectively recruit for both types of jobs during the first year; there's just not enough time. People interested in consulting that do not land the jobs they want as 1st years tend to go for product management or marketing internships I guess. Banking and consulting interviews take place very early; so it's possible to go after something else if you don't succeed.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu, i remember you mentioning that you're on the "older" side of the b-school students, and generally people who are younger look for the IB jobs. Is there a reason for you to look at IB jobs, and does your age come into play during your interview process?

I'm curious because I'm also in one of the "older" categories, thank you! :)
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well, I didn't really consider what type of person they generally try to look for, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that age never came up throughout the recruiting process. We haven't had interviews yet, but I've had a really successful fall and I expect to be on a lot of closed lists. I'll post my results as things develop over the next few weeks.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
congrats on the good work pelihu! Good to hear that age isn't an issue so far for IB!
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Re: [#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
congrats on the good work pelihu! Good to hear that age isn't an issue so far for IB!

The results have started to come back in as firms started releasing their closed interview lists earlier this week (varies by school of course). I can definitively confirm that age was not a factor at all. Like most people, I dropped a bunch of resumes, and so far 14 of the firms I submitted for have released their lists. I'm 13/14 including those rumored to be the most competitive (GS & MS), a pedigreed hedge fund and a surprise call from Google (I think 90% of our class submitted resumes to them). The only one I didn't get, so far, is a firm where I was forced to miss their last two big events due to schedule conflicts; I chose to attend events with other firms so I think they gathered that they weren't my top choice.

Anyhow, age never came up, but I think it's important to demonstrate experience commensurate with your age - kind of like how it works for b-schools admissions. If you're just plain older and don't have impact experiences in your background, that would be difficult to overcome. I do think as an older candidate you need to demonstrate that you can get along with 20-somethings because you'll probably be spending some late nights out grinding away with them. But really, this isn't any different than most other candidates because few are 'naturals' and most people must overcome certain things.

So, the battle is only half-won at this point because there is still work to do in order to land an offer but up to this point things couldn't be better. As someone suggested elsewhere, I will try to start a thread on recruiting and schmoozing. I definitely observed some missteps that caused people a lot of grief so it might be helpful to try to learn from them.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Re: First year students -- what internships are you gunning for? [#permalink]
CONGRATS Pelihu on your amazing record there! :) Google is also a pleasant surprise! I might try to intern there too.. we'll see.

working with 20 somethings is pretty easy for me, considering I still hang out with a bunch of college students (as their mentor) all the time in crowded cabins, haha... trying to stay young mentally. :P
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Schools:Berkeley Haas
 Q50  V44
Send PM
My first choice for summer is consulting; if I don't get it, I'll probably try tech or CPG.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Send PM
Hi All,

So what industries pay the most for internships? Do IB & Consulting inters get the highest monetary awards?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Ross 2010
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Generally IB and consulting. Although when I was at Yale I met someone who interned with the National Episcopal Church and made as much as her classmates in IB!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Darden2010 wrote:
Hi All,

So what industries pay the most for internships? Do IB & Consulting inters get the highest monetary awards?

I award you the most confusing username avatar combination of the year. Tuck, Michigan and Darden :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
I award you the most confusing username avatar combination of the year. Tuck, Michigan and Darden :)

hihih :) at least I made it to one of 'the most' lists :)

I liked Darden a lot last year but I don't like it how everything has changed over there this year... so I ended up applying to Ross and Tuck :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
just curious, what are the average salaries for the summer internships at IB and consulting firms?
cheers,
ac.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
ac8706 wrote:
just curious, what are the average salaries for the summer internships at IB and consulting firms?
cheers,
ac.

2 pints of lager, 3 pints of bitter, and half a stout with a packet of pork scratchings. :twisted:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
working with 20 somethings is pretty easy for me,

Same here, because i behave so immaturely :evil:
GMAT Club Bot