Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 02:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Five fledgling sea eagles left their nests in western

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: NYU,UCLA,BOOTH,STANFORD
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 36

Five fledgling sea eagles left their nests in western [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 09:12
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

76% (01:20) correct 24% (00:47) wrong based on 208 sessions
Five fledgling sea eagles left their nests in western Scotland this summer,bringing to 34 the number of wild birds successfully raised since trasnplants from norway began in 1975.

a) bringing

b)and brings

c)and it brings

d)and it brought

e)and brought

I am not sure but i am standing between A and E. I am confused about the tense

anyone can help?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

This is not finished here...Watch me.....

Last edited by Zarrolou on 10 Jun 2013, 05:54, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 0

Re: Sentence Correction.confusing (700+) [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 09:25
fatihaysu wrote:
Five fledgling sea eagles left their nests in western Scotland this summer,bringing to 34 the number of wild birds successfully raised since trasnplants from norway began in 1975.

a) bringing

b)and brings

c)and it brings

d)and it brought

e)and brought

anyone can help?

"bringing" should be used as "bringing" modifies the preceding clause, as the complete process of "Five fledgling sea eagles left their nests in western Scotland this summer" has brought the no. to 34...!!
Manager
Manager
Schools: NYU,UCLA,BOOTH,STANFORD

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 36

Re: Sentence Correction.confusing (700+) [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 09:36
nverma wrote:
fatihaysu wrote:

a) bringing

b)and brings

c)and it brings

d)and it brought

e)and brought

anyone can help?

"bringing" should be used as "bringing" modifies the preceding clause, as the complete process of "Five fledgling sea eagles left their nests in western Scotland this summer" has brought the no. to 34...!!

how did you decide the tense? why not e? why not past tense?

This is not finished here...Watch me.....

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Dalhousie School of Business (Corporate Residency MBA)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 8

Re: Sentence Correction.confusing (700+) [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 10:18
This post received
KUDOS
fatihaysu wrote:

I think it's because of the options: had E been "which brought" instead of "and brought" it could have worked that way (at least it would have sounded right).

I also don't like the ordering of the words: "..._____ to 34 the number..." just sounds awkward, I'd write it as "_____ the number to 34..." and then modify the end of the sentence to work with that. Clearly the construction of the non-underlined portion is fine according the GMAT... the point of my tangent here is that I'm not good enough with English grammar rules to really help you out in this case. It's a lot more finicky and out of my league than the last one.

Sorry! :)

I'm a current Corporate Residency MBA student at Dalhousie University (Nova Scotia, Canada).
This account is to help spread the word about this unique program, as well as to help provide a student perspective for MBA applications and GMAT experiences.

Every week I publish a blog about life in the CRMBA by interviewing current students. Find us on Twitter and Facebook, or post any questions/comments/concerns in this thread here on gmatclub.com

Highlights of the program include:

Specifically designed by Corporations/Employers, No work experience necessary, 8-month paid corporate residency, Grades/GMAT score not the main focus for admittance

2 KUDOS received
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 157

Kudos [?]: 527 [2] , given: 531

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Sentence Correction.confusing (700+) [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 11:29
This post received
KUDOS
Easy, look at this from the following point of view.

Five fledgling sea eagles left their nests in western Scotland this summer - this is modifier!, do you see it? well, what does it modify? the number of wild birds successfully raised...

so Five ...., bringing [present participle] to 34 the number of wild birds. I assume before those 5 sea eagles, there were 31 sea eagles, and those 5 has brought (bringing) that number to 31.

Don't worry I took it wrong as well :).

gimme kudos , if I deserve it.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 73 [1] , given: 0

Re: Sentence Correction.confusing (700+) [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 11:33
This post received
KUDOS
fatihaysu wrote:
nverma wrote:
fatihaysu wrote:

a) bringing

b)and brings

c)and it brings

d)and it brought

e)and brought

anyone can help?

IMO, If we slightly change the sentence, we can look into the meaning..

Since the transplant began in 1975 (it means the transplant is not over yet..!!), 34 wild birds have been successfully raised and NOW AGAIN in THIS SUMMER ,Five MORE fledgling sea eagles left their nests in western Scotland..!!

In the given context the process of successfully raising the birds is still on..and IMO, this is the reason we should use "bringing"

Hope it makes sense.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 6

Re: Sentence Correction.confusing (700+) [#permalink] New post 24 May 2010, 06:58
A is best

'bringing' is modifying the entire clause 'Five fledgling sea eagles left their nests in western Scotland this summer'

Five fledgling sea eagles left their nests in western Scotland this summer, bringing the number of wild birds to 34.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 157

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 531

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Sentence Correction.confusing (700+) [#permalink] New post 24 May 2010, 09:12
Very good explanation is provide in MGMAT Sentence Correction Book, on page 91.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT Date: 03-10-2012
GPA: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 50

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Five fledgling sea eagles left their nests in western [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2011, 09:47
As non-native speaker I took A).
Why? Because this "transplant" is not over yet.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: Five fledgling sea eagles left their nests in western [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2011, 15:23
bringing modifies the previous clause

typically ,-ing words describe the subject or clause preceding it

A
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 5

Re: Five fledgling sea eagles left their nests in western [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2012, 17:11
I picked A as the answer here:

A. "Bringing" is a verb-ing modifier that modifies the entire preceding clause. The clause starting with "bringing" states a result of the first clause - 34 wild birds successfully raised because of transplants. I felt that this answer choice was the only one that makes logical sense.

B. Although "and brings" seems like a good answer, the comma followed by a coordinating conjunction should separate 2 independent clauses. What is the subject of the 2nd clause? If it is sea eagles, then we have a violation of SV agreement. There doesn't seem to be a subject that fits this answer choice.

C. The pronoun "it" doesn't refer to anything. Again, there is no subject to support the 2nd clause in this sentence.

D. The simple past tense is incorrect because we are talking about a fact that is true in the current time frame. Also, "it" is a pronoun that is being used without an antecedent.

E. The simple past tense is incorrect here. Again, we have no subject for the 2nd clause.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1701 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Five fledgling sea eagles left their nests in western [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2012, 06:48
Expert's post
Grammar first: Five sea eagles is plural therefore b,c and d are out.

Exemption from having a subject for the second arm of a compound sentence : When the subject of the first part of of compound sentence can logically stand good for the second arm also, meaning, if we can use the same subject of the first arm without distortion of the intended meaning , then there is no need o repeat the subject in the second arm. So on that count E is ok, but still it is not the answer.

What actually brought the count to 34 is the act of five eagles leaving. You have to see that in that totality of the theme. It is neither the sea eagles alone nor their leaving alone that is responsible for the rise in the count. That is where this present participle is so wonderfully handy. A is the choice, therefore.

bringing is not present tense. It is present participle without an element of tense . The main tense of the text is simple past ( left)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Five fledgling sea eagles left their nests in western [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 05:45
Scotland this summer, bringing to 34 the number of
wild birds successfully raised since transplants from
Norway began in 1975.
(A) bringing
(B) and brings
(C) and it brings
(D) and it brought
(E) and brought

Last edited by Zarrolou on 10 Jun 2013, 05:54, edited 1 time in total.
Merging similar topics.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 12

Re: Five fledgling sea eagles left their nests in western [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2013, 17:37
z3nith wrote:
Scotland this summer, bringing to 34 the number of
wild birds successfully raised since transplants from
Norway began in 1975.
(A) bringing
(B) and brings
(C) and it brings
(D) and it brought
(E) and brought

For answering this question it is required that , -ing modifier be understood clearly. when , Verb-ing is used in a SC, the intent is to describe the action or the affect of the preceding clause. when you want to connect two sentences than this usage is most commonly used.

Here, the the act of leaving is resulted in the number of wild birds to be 34 hence, it fits the description here.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 295

Kudos [?]: 694 [1] , given: 6

Re: Five fledgling sea eagles left their nests in western [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2013, 10:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Quote:
"bringing" modifies eagles, but I still don't understand how does it help?

"Bringing" is fine.
"bringing to 34 the number of blah, 5 eagles left their nests."

The act of the eagles leaving their nests brought the number of blah to 34."

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, Technology

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 22

Re: Five fledgling sea eagles left their nests in western [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2013, 08:14
Meaning: 5 eagles left, which brought the number to 34.
They are NOT two independent events to be connected by "and".

Hence eliminate B,C,D,E. Answer is (A).

Is my approach correct ?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, General Management
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 21

Re: Five fledgling sea eagles left their nests in western [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2014, 04:35
Five fledgling sea eagles left their nests in western Scotland this summer. This incident/action brought the number from X to 34.

Why D is wrong.
Confused between D and A
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3677 [1] , given: 185

Re: Five fledgling sea eagles left their nests in western [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2014, 22:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
nidhi12 wrote:
Five fledgling sea eagles left their nests in western Scotland this summer. This incident/action brought the number from X to 34.

Why D is wrong.
Confused between D and A

Hi nidhi12,

Five fledgling sea eagles left their nests in western Scotland this summer, bringing to 34 the number of wild birds successfully raised
o since transplants from Norway began in 1975.

MEANING

You have correctly represented the meaning of the sentence in your analysis. Still let me reword it for the sake of completeness.
• This sentence tells us that five sea eagles left their nests in Scotland this summer.
• This action brought the number of wild birds (from X) to 34.
• These are the birds that have been successfully raised since transplants from Norway began in 1975.

The verb-ing modifier (bringing) in the above sentence correctly represents the result of the preceding clause.

Now, let’s look at option D:

Five fledgling sea eagles left their nests in western Scotland this summer,
• and it brought to 34 the number of wild birds successfully raised
o since transplants from Norway began in 1975.

Now, this option is incorrect because the pronoun ‘it’ here seems to refer to the preceding clause (As mentioned by you this incident/action). Since ‘it’ is a pronoun, it can only refer to a noun, not a clause.

Hope this helps! :)
Regards,
Deepak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Re: Five fledgling sea eagles left their nests in western   [#permalink] 08 Jun 2014, 22:28