Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 20:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Five hundred million different species of living creatures

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Species [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 07:38
E for me.

"Appear" should be the present perfect tense not the past tense.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Species [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2009, 13:23
oa is E
we need present perfect cause appearance of species in continual process
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 221 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Species [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 14:33
OA is D.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 6

Re: SC - Species [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2010, 08:38
E for me.

Quote:
I'd go with E. Besides being generally awkward, B has a verb tense issue. It says "species that appeared" on earth. Appeared is simple past but, in this case, we want present perfect. We use past tense to discuss something that is completely over; we use present perfect to discuss something that started in the past but is either still true or still going on in the present. It is still true that the species appeared, so we want to say "have appeared" - which answer E does use and answer B does not.
Schools: Carey '16
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 71

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Species [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2010, 10:35
I would go with D, (stated below)

D. Of five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them have vanished.

the "them" clearly refers back to "species"

where as in E.

E. Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have
appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished.

the use of "have" is plural, but the subject is "the five hundred million different species" (it's singular because of the "the") so it doesn't make sense.

that's my just 0.02. sucks there is no OA, would love to know the right answer =)

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 389 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Species [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2010, 21:13
Awesome question. OA is E

I remember this pattern from following SC. Same applies here.

Although about 99 percent of the more than 50 million Turks are Muslims, the republic founded by Mustafa Kemal Ataturk in 1923 is resolutely secular.

a. Although about 99 percent of the more than 50 million
b. Although about 99 percent of over 50 million of the
c. Although about 99 percent of more than 50 million
d. Despite the fact that about 99 percent of more than 50 million
e. Despite the fact that about 99 percent of over 50 million

OA : A

99 percent of the more than 50 million
Of the five hundred million different species ---> this SC.

Please press kudos if you like my post.

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - living creatures [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 05:51
According to my source (GMATPrep), OA is D.
The issue I have with E is that I dont really like "99 percent". 99 percent of what?? I have seen other OE ruling out this kind of construcions.
please clarify.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Species [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 05:57
The issue I have with E is that I dont really like "99 percent". 99 percent of what?? I have seen other OE ruling out this kind of construcions.
please clarify.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - living creatures [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 10:47
noboru wrote:
please clarify.

nobody is going to clarify this?

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Species [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 10:53
noboru wrote:
please clarify.

Nobody is going to clarify this?

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 325

Kudos [?]: 695 [0], given: 11

Re: SC - Species [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 10:19
Hey All,

I got asked to take this one on by Private Message. Apparently, it has appeared in three different threads, none of which have resolved. So I'm going to be adding this exact post to all three threads. Be aware if you see it repeated!

Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.

A. Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.
PROBLEM: First off "nearly 99 percent..." appears to be modifying "Earth," when we want it to modify "five hundred million different species." Secondly, "vanishing" is not correct on its own, as it is a present participle and we'd prefer some kind of perfect tense (because the vanishing started in the past and continues into the present).

B. Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth have vanished.
PROBLEM: It should be "THE five hundred million different species," otherwise it sounds like there have been more than five hundred million species, but we're just talking about a particular subset of them which happens to include five hundred million species. Also, the use of the simple past tense for "appeared" is wrong, because this should be present perfect (they have appeared starting in the past and CONTINUING into the present).

C. Vanished are nearly 99 percent of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth.
PROBLEM: As fun as it can be to speak like Yoda, inverting the sentence is highly awkward. Again, the simple past tense "appeared" is incorrect.

D. Of five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them have vanished.
PROBLEM: It should be "THE five hundred million different species," otherwise it sounds like there have been more than five hundred million species, but we're just talking about a particular subset of them which happens to include five hundred million species. Also, it's redundant, and thus wrong, to say "of five hundred..." AND "...of them". We don't need both.

E. Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished.
ANSWER.

Hope that helps!

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: SC - living creatures [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 10:19
Hey All,

I got asked to take this one on by Private Message. Apparently, it has appeared in three different threads, none of which have resolved. So I'm going to be adding this exact post to all three threads. Be aware if you see it repeated!

Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.

A. Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.
PROBLEM: First off "nearly 99 percent..." appears to be modifying "Earth," when we want it to modify "five hundred million different species." Secondly, "vanishing" is not correct on its own, as it is a present participle and we'd prefer some kind of perfect tense (because the vanishing started in the past and continues into the present).

B. Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth have vanished.
PROBLEM: It should be "THE five hundred million different species," otherwise it sounds like there have been more than five hundred million species, but we're just talking about a particular subset of them which happens to include five hundred million species. Also, the use of the simple past tense for "appeared" is wrong, because this should be present perfect (they have appeared starting in the past and CONTINUING into the present).

C. Vanished are nearly 99 percent of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth.
PROBLEM: As fun as it can be to speak like Yoda, inverting the sentence is highly awkward. Again, the simple past tense "appeared" is incorrect.

PROBLEM: It should be "THE five hundred million different species," otherwise it sounds like there have been more than five hundred million species, but we're just talking about a particular subset of them which happens to include five hundred million species. Also, it's redundant, and thus wrong, to say "of five hundred..." AND "...of them". We don't need both.

E. Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished.
ANSWER.

Hope that helps!

-t

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - living creatures [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 03:11
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

Hope that helps!

-t

Hi tommy ,
Plesae consider the following sentence
He ran into the building,determined to save his puppy.
What is "determined"modifying ?
Also in the second bolded part ,Please tell me can a present participle be only used 1)as an adverbial modifier when it follows the comma after a clause
I crossed the pool,swimming with all my might.
2)as a modifier modifying the noun before it
The car going down the street is red
3)as a gerund
4) with "was/is/are/am" to indicate the progressive tense.
I was running.
I am running.

What is the function of the present participle in the following sentence
The leader came in a car,with his bodyguards following suit.

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Intern
Intern
Schools: Dartmouth College
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - living creatures [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 04:30
pb_india wrote:

B and C combine the past tense appeared and with the present perfect tense have vanished. The sequence of events is unclear. If the species appeared in the past, how can they still be vanishing in the present? Eliminate B and C.

In A and D, it's not clear whether them refers to species or to living creatures. Eliminate A and D.

The correct answer is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

GMAT Tutor and Instructor
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
New York, NY

Re: SC - living creatures [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 12:03
Hey Munda,

"Determined" is modifying "he", so this would not be a preferred way to write this. We'd prefer to see the participle touching the noun.

You seem confused about the difference between a participle and words with -ing. Words ending in -ing can be participles, gerunds, or participles that are part of progressive tenses.

PARTICIPLES

Present participles are generally adverbial when they follow the comma after a clause.

In your example, "swimming" is iffy. You could argue it's modifying "crossed" (the way in which the crossing occurred), but it's really modifying "I". Just like the last one, it's not the cleanest way to write it.

In this version, there's no comma. Participles with no commas always modify whatever they're touching. Very straightforward.

GERUNDS

Participles and gerunds are totally different words (adjectives versus nouns). They may look the same, but they're homonyms, with different meanings. Gerunds are nouns, not adjectives.

PROGRESSIVE TENSES

I was running. (this is really a participle with the past tense verb)
I am running. (this is really a participle with the present tense verb.

"following suit" is an idiom meaning "doing the same". This is just a participial phrase modifying a noun (no comma), "bodyguards."

Hope that helps!

-t

Intern
Intern
Schools: Dartmouth College
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - living creatures [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 12:27
To illustrate how the insertion of a comma can change what a modifier is modifying (and thus change the meaning of the sentence):

John kicked the puppy, upsetting Mary.

The purpose of the comma is to show that upsetting is modifying not the puppy but John. John is upsetting Mary (by kicking the poor, defenseless puppy).

Let's see what happens when the comma is removed:

John kicked the puppy upsetting Mary.

With the comma removed, upsetting is now modifying the puppy. The puppy is upsetting Mary. In this sentence, John might in fact be pleasing Mary by kicking the annoying puppy.

The big question I ask myself when I see a participle that ends in -ing:

Who or what is performing the action of the verb?

If I can't tell who or what is performing the action of the -ing participle -- or if the wrong thing is performing the action -- I eliminate the answer choice.

GMAT Tutor and Instructor
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
New York, NY

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - living creatures [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 13:12
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey Munda,

"Determined" is modifying "he", so this would not be a preferred way to write this. We'd prefer to see the participle touching the noun.

You seem confused about the difference between a participle and words with -ing. Words ending in -ing can be participles, gerunds, or participles that are part of progressive tenses.

PARTICIPLES

Present participles are generally adverbial when they follow the comma after a clause.

In your example, "swimming" is iffy. You could argue it's modifying "crossed" (the way in which the crossing occurred), but it's really modifying "I". Just like the last one, it's not the cleanest way to write it.

In this version, there's no comma. Participles with no commas always modify whatever they're touching. Very straightforward.

GERUNDS

Participles and gerunds are totally different words (adjectives versus nouns). They may look the same, but they're homonyms, with different meanings. Gerunds are nouns, not adjectives.

PROGRESSIVE TENSES

"following suit" is an idiom meaning "doing the same". This is just a participial phrase modifying a noun (no comma), "bodyguards."

Hope that helps!

-t

Thanks tommy for this wonderful explanation.I am,indeed, confused about the numerous ways in which one can use the -ing participle and whenever i see an -ing ,i see myself trying to find out what it modifies

Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - living creatures [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 13:20
GMATGuruNY wrote:
To illustrate how the insertion of a comma can change what a modifier is modifying (and thus change the meaning of the sentence):

John kicked the puppy, upsetting Mary.

The purpose of the comma is to show that upsetting is modifying not the puppy but John. John is upsetting Mary (by kicking the poor, defenseless puppy).

Let's see what happens when the comma is removed:

John kicked the puppy upsetting Mary.

With the comma removed, upsetting is now modifying the puppy. The puppy is upsetting Mary. In this sentence, John might in fact be pleasing Mary by kicking the annoying puppy.

The big question I ask myself when I see a participle that ends in -ing:

Who or what is performing the action of the verb?

If I can't tell who or what is performing the action of the -ing participle -- or if the wrong thing is performing the action -- I eliminate the answer choice.

Thanks Mitch,ill remember this advice.I think what is mean is that there should be a definite agent who whould be performing the actin g and there should be any ambiguity regarding it.

Manager
Manager
Schools: University of Economics Prague
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 13:42
HongHu wrote:
I disagree. I believe both past tense and present perfect tense can be used for this case. "appeared" means "came into existence". The 5 mil species came into existence in the past. It doesn't matter it they are still here today or not.

I agree with you. Appearance can be seen as something that happened and vanishing is still continuing today.

You want somethin', go get it. Period!

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - living creatures [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 14:26
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey Munda,

PARTICIPLES

GERUNDS

PROGRESSIVE TENSES

Hope that helps!

-t

One question: I have read that the construction PREPOSITION + NOUN + PARTICIPLE is always incorrect in the GMAT.
Ex.- With child-care facilities included bla bla bla.

Could you corroborate that?

PS: the source of that tip is this: http://www.amazon.com/GMAT-Ultimate-Sen ... 944&sr=8-1

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Re: SC - living creatures   [#permalink] 03 Sep 2010, 14:26