Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 21:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Five hundred million different species of living creatures

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 12

Re: SC - living creatures [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 15:33
one thing am confused about tommy explanation: In A, isn't A an absolute phrase that is modifying the main clause not a a specific word?

Nanquam Fractum

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 2

Re: SC - living creatures [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2010, 11:49
kanhaiya, Werewolf.- please, provide your reasoning. If not, is better to say nothing.

Thanks.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - living creatures [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2010, 14:27
pb_india wrote:
Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.

A. Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.

B. Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth have vanished.

C. Vanished are nearly 99 percent of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth.

D. Of five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them have vanished.

E. Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished.

Pretty sure that E is the answer because it does not repeat "Of" which is repeated in D.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - living creatures [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2010, 22:38
noboru wrote:
kanhaiya, Werewolf.- please, provide your reasoning. If not, is better to say nothing.

Thanks.

The concept and reasoning behind the correct answer were very well explained by Tommy Wallach, a Manhattan instructor. I feel that he has covered all aspects and there are other quality discussions as well that talk about several different aspects of the problem. So I felt that I didn't need to add anything from my side.

Since i am fast approaching my test date, I left a comment in this thread so that I will know in the future that I have already come across and solved this question. Is that a problem? I'm new to forums and I don't know all the rules. Am I not allowed to post only the answer?

thanks!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 42 [1] , given: 12

Re: SC-- Different species [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 23:14
This post received
KUDOS
Between option (B) and option (E)

Tricky one - not able to figure out any other possible reasons other than one specified above about "the" - definite article.

If that's true, then option (E)
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 952 [0], given: 376

Re: SC-- Different species [#permalink] New post 31 May 2011, 04:06
mba4viplav wrote:
Between option (B) and option (E)

Tricky one - not able to figure out any other possible reasons other than one specified above about "the" - definite article.

If that's true, then option (E)

Good remark. It's the absence of "the" that changes the meaning of the sentence in B.

E: conforms to the original sentence that there were only 500M species initially.

Ans: "E"

~fluke

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 2

Re: SC-- Different species [#permalink] New post 31 May 2011, 20:08
This post received
KUDOS
I would have chosen E but I cannot seem to find a logical explanation to eliminate B other than the fact that it does not contain "have appeared". Can someone clarify if my reasoning is correct..
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: SC-- Different species [#permalink] New post 31 May 2011, 20:09
Quick question.. is this an official problem just curious..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: SC-- Different species [#permalink] New post 31 May 2011, 21:14
confused between B and E, like every one else. I think B is very straight forward and concise , hence B.
Math Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 952 [0], given: 376

Re: SC-- Different species [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2011, 00:20
deepamangmat wrote:
I would have chosen E but I cannot seem to find a logical explanation to eliminate B other than the fact that it does not contain "have appeared". Can someone clarify if my reasoning is correct..

Yes, that is another good reason that suggests E is better.

have appeared - means the species are still appearing
appeared - means they appeared once and don't appear anymore.
two different meanings.

Also, mba4viplav made a good point about the article "the"
absence of "the" changes the meaning.

I ate the 10 chocolates someone gave me. -- Here someone gave EXACTLY 10 chocolates.
I ate 10 chocolate someone gave me. -- Someone may have given me more than 10 chocolates and I ate 10 out of that.

Likewise,
Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures -- there are TOTAL 500M different species. No more, no less.
Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures -- TOTAL may be more than 500M.

~fluke

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 18

Re: SC-- Different species [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2011, 16:26
I picked B. Can some one explain why article 'The' is required. It should be '500 million', not 'the 500 million'.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: SC-- Different species [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2011, 17:17
I take B,
my reasoning is correct usage of verb tense and usage of participle. we are talking about species that appeared till now. so this whole appearance happened in the past from the author's perspective. additionally the disappearance has started to happen sometimes in the past and it is continuing and its effect is continuing [the disappearance of what that have disappeared is continuing]. so the appearing should have past tense and disappearing should be used as a participle.
because of same reasoning all the other answer choices are wrong.
just my thought...
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 109

Re: SC - living creatures [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2011, 15:08
+1 E

B changes the meaning. It seems to indicate that maybe there are more than 5 hundred million species.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75

Kudos [?]: 643 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Five hundred million different species of living creatures [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2012, 07:14
Expert's post
Calling all experts!!!
Agree to all the explanations provided regarding the usage of "the" above. But my question is that shouldn't we stick ourselves to the intended meaning, which says that there were more than five hundred million different species.....?

Please help me resolve this issue.
Metallicafan, Tommy, noburu please help

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V24
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 4: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User
Five hundred million different species of living creatures h [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2013, 12:44
Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.

A. Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.
B. Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth have vanished.
C. Vanished are nearly 99 percent of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth.
D. Of five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them have vanished.
E. Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished.

Please share your though process.

Last edited by Zarrolou on 03 Jun 2013, 12:54, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question, merged topics.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 57

Re: Five hundred million different species of living creatures [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2013, 20:05
I go for E.

The problem with B is that "have" is used for 99% of the species. Isn't this a S-V error?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 27

Re: Five hundred million different species of living creatures [#permalink] New post 22 May 2014, 22:05
Hey the OA is E and not B!! some confusion here.

Hope to clear it this time!!
GMAT 1: 540
Preparing again :(

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 67

Re: Five hundred million different species of living creatures [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2014, 23:51
I request some expert to give views on this question : though I agree with E option as correct answer.

Present perfect tense is needed, also option B distorts the original meaning. It states that of the 99% of 5 million different species have disappeared. There could be possibility of having greater number of different species. Whereas, original question states that of the 5 million different 99% have disappeared. This is a definitive quantity.
To keep the meaning intact I will go for option E.
Re: Five hundred million different species of living creatures   [#permalink] 06 Jun 2014, 23:51