Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 03:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Five hundred million different species of living creatures

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Five hundred million different species of living creatures [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2005, 20:28
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

43% (01:46) correct 58% (00:50) wrong based on 120 sessions
Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.

A. Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.

B. Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth have vanished.

C. Vanished are nearly 99 percent of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth.

D. Of five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them have vanished.

E. Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 03 Jun 2013, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA.
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Species [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2005, 21:25
A and C are awakward.

B. Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth have vanished. A and C are out. B is also out because of use of apeared.

E. Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished. It is also out because it says 99% only. it is not what is 99%?

D. Of five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them have vanished. The only remaining is D, which is correct.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2005, 06:27
Yes E makes sense in having present perfect because it is still contiuing having started some time in the past.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Species [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2005, 13:33
MA wrote:
A and C are awakward.

B. Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth have vanished. A and C are out. B is also out because of use of apeared.

E. Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished. It is also out because it says 99% only. it is not what is 99%?

D. Of five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them have vanished. The only remaining is D, which is correct.

Ma, can you explain why 'that appeared' in B is wrong.
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Species [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2005, 17:22
rthothad wrote:
MA wrote:

Ma, can you explain why 'that appeared' in B is wrong.

In my opinion, that refers to "Five hundred million different species of living creatures" (that) appeared on Earth have vanished. i mean all creatures have vanished. but this not true. if all creatures were vanished, then what we are left?
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Species [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2005, 17:47
nocilis wrote:
Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.

A. Five hundred million different species of living creatures have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them vanishing.

B. Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth have vanished.

C. Vanished are nearly 99 percent of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth.

D. Of five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent of them have vanished.

E. Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have
appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished.

This has been previously discussed with no conclusion so I am posting it again.

I will go with E.

as the use of present perfect "have appeared" is in line with the original sentence, making the fact that 'they appeared' relevant at present time.

Please explain your answer.

I go with B.

In E, the usage of two present perfect verb tense is inappropriate.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Species [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2005, 18:34
chunjuwu wrote:
I go with B.

I have lived in this place for five years and have worked at the same company" -> Uses two Present perfect and is a perfectly correct sentence.
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck'08
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 23:07
I go for E

A is akward, use of ING for "vanishing" and no link between the 2 main clauses.B. Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth have vanished.
Suggest that there may be more than 500M different species
Akward construction
I have hesitation with this one but it is not clear if there exists more than 500M different species. It is just said "Of 500M" and not "Of the 500M"
E. Of the five hundred million different species of living creatures that have appeared on Earth, nearly 99 percent have vanished.
Ok
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Species [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2005, 23:57
nocilis wrote:
chunjuwu wrote:
I go with B.

I have lived in this place for five years and have worked at the same company" -> Uses two Present perfect and is a perfectly correct sentence.

nocilis:
I think the sentence you gave above is different from the one in question. In your example, you are joining two independent clauses using the conjugation "and" where in, both the clauses NEED to be in the same tense.
But, in the question - the first part of the sentence is a dependent clause (without the main clause "nearly 99% vanished", we would have a sentence fragment) and hence I agree with what chunjwu says..
Answer should be B

Gurus pl. correct me if I am wrong :dunnow
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2005, 00:10

- awkward phrasing.

- 'have vanised' is the wrong tense. Suggests 'vanishing' is still occuring today

- awkward phrasing

- 'of five hundered' --> disjointed

Go with E for this one.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2005, 00:14
ywilfred wrote:

- awkward phrasing.

- 'have vanised' is the wrong tense. Suggests 'vanishing' is still occuring today
- awkward phrasing

- 'of five hundered' --> disjointed

Go with E for this one.

Can you explain the above contradiction (in RED)?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2005, 00:23
hmmm.. . didn't see that .. let me try again.. :oops:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2005, 09:02
I agree with Antmavel's analysis. B would be correct if it had the word "the". "have vanished" is correct.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2005, 10:11
i ll go with E

one problem, what i notice in B is the usage of "appeared" . it should be "have appeared" with the change in the sentence construction.

B- Nearly 99 percent of five hundred million different species of living creatures that appeared on Earth have vanished.

the relative clause "that appeared on earth" modifies "living creatures"

living creatures is the whole group (100%) out of which 99% have vanished.
so-- "living creatures that appeared on earth"-- would suggest that not a single specie of the 500 million diff species EXISTS (appear) at present, but in fact 1% of them are still in existence.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2005, 10:16
I disagree. I believe both past tense and present perfect tense can be used for this case. "appeared" means "came into existence". The 5 mil species came into existence in the past. It doesn't matter it they are still here today or not.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Species [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 05:54
nocilis wrote:
chunjuwu wrote:
I go with B.

Hi, in your case, the two actions have the same time order. So, two perfect tenses are correct.

But in the original question, it must 'appear' first and then 'vanished'.
So, two perfect tenses cannot tell which one happened first.

In choice E, if they have appeared on the earth, how come they vanished? Again, it must 'appeared' first and then 'have vanished now'.

So, I stick with B.

OA, please
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 16:36
Sorry guys don't have the OA. I picked this question from GMAT club in another thread.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 16:57
Sorry for the late reply. I've been meaning to re-work this question, but I've been bogged down with office work. Anyway, here are my thoughts on this question.

- A is wrong. 'have appeared on earth' suggests new creatures are still appearing today. 'nearly 99% of them vanishing' is also disjointed from the earlier part of the sentence.

- 99% of the species that appeared -> correct, past tense suggests that the creatures have already appeared
- 'have vanished' suggests that the species are still dying out today.

- 'Vanished are early 99%' -> sounds strange. Beginning with a verb (vanish) that does not modify anything.

- same as for A (have appeared)

- same as for A (have appeared)

I'll take B.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2005, 16:58
HongHu wrote:
But B is missing a word "the".

Does indeed sounds strange without a 'the', but clarity of the sentence is still maintained even without the word.
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck'08
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2005, 01:35
nocilis wrote:
Sorry guys don't have the OA. I picked this question from GMAT club in another thread.

Terrible :? Is there any way someone can get the OA ? Even if you do not have the OA, do you have the source Nocilis ?
  [#permalink] 30 Mar 2005, 01:35