Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 01:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Five-star General John Pershing had such a sweeping command

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 466

Kudos [?]: 1846 [0], given: 29

Five-star General John Pershing had such a sweeping command [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 14:06
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

45% (01:44) correct 55% (00:57) wrong based on 231 sessions
Five-star General John Pershing had such a sweeping command in World War I as no single WWII general is a correspondence to him.
(A) such a sweeping command in World War I as no single WWII general is a correspondence to
(B) such a sweeping command in World War I that no single WWII general would be a correspondence with
(C) so sweeping a command in World War I as no single WWII general would be corresponding to
(D) so sweeping a command in World War I that no single WWII general corresponds to
(E) such a sweeping command in World War I because no single WWII general corresponds with

In this sentence about Blackjack Pershing, the same root word appears in noun & verb forms (correspondence, corresponds, corresponding). For a full discussion of this frequent SC issue, as well as a complete explanation of the sentence above, see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/active-verbs-on-the-gmat/

Mike :-)
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 241

Kudos [?]: 2059 [1] , given: 677

Re: Five-star General John Pershing [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 14:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
mikemcgarry wrote:
Five-star General John Pershing had such a sweeping command in World War I as no single WWII general is a correspondence to him.
(A) such a sweeping command in World War I as no single WWII general is a correspondence to
(B) such a sweeping command in World War I that no single WWII general would be a correspondence with
(C) so sweeping a command in World War I as no single WWII general would be corresponding to
(D) so sweeping a command in World War I that no single WWII general corresponds to
(E) such a sweeping command in World War I because no single WWII general corresponds with

In this sentence about Blackjack Pershing, the same root word appears in noun & verb forms (correspondence, corresponds, corresponding). For a full discussion of this frequent SC issue, as well as a complete explanation of the sentence above, see:

with him is wrong, right is TOhim. only based on this we have A C and D

such a is wrong

would be is wrong. we are comparing X that IS Y ( a matter of fact)

D is the best

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension

TOEFL iBT
Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Five-star General John Pershing [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 14:58
I just couldn't convince myself that so sweeping was correct...that sounds terrible.
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 1846 [0], given: 29

Re: Five-star General John Pershing [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 15:30
Expert's post
skiingforthewknds wrote:
I just couldn't convince myself that so sweeping was correct...that sounds terrible.

Dear skiingforthewknds,
With all due respect, this is why it's vitally important to do high-brow reading in preparation for the GMAT. If your ear is tuned, say, to the level of grammar present in most modern media, then you are completely set up to make a sizable number of errors on the GMAT SC simply by following your ear, and many fully correct grammatical structures will sound "wrong" as well. It's very important to "re-train" your ear in correct grammar ---- the GMAT SC is designed to excoriate folks who uncritically trust what they hear in colloquial English.
Does this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Five-star General John Pershing [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 17:02
No worries Mike. I never said I was solely using my ear just that fact it sounded that bad. You can knock off a lot in various other rules its just a mind game with that worfing

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Five-star General John Pershing had such a sweeping command [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2013, 09:32
Expert's post
Bumping for review and further discussion*.

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 22

Re: Five-star General John Pershing had such a sweeping command [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2014, 06:14
skiingforthewknds wrote:

Great question!

....so sweeping.... sounds terrible for me as well (however, i'm not a native speaker, so could be wrong).
Mike, thanks for your advice re high-brow reading!

But I guess the author of this question realised this and intentionally pasted 5 different options to the second part of the sentence (correspondence with / correspondence to etc).
And four out of these five could be rather easily eliminated. So, in my opinion, this question could be answered even w/o analysing the first construction
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 41

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Five-star General John Pershing had such a sweeping command [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2014, 00:47
Got the right answer but confused by the usage of the word correspond. What does this sentence mean anyway Mike ?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 1846 [1] , given: 29

Re: Five-star General John Pershing had such a sweeping command [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2014, 10:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
himanshujovi wrote:
Got the right answer but confused by the usage of the word correspond. What does this sentence mean anyway Mike ?

Dear himanshujovi,
I'm happy to help. :-)

This is a sentence with hard vocabulary and a sophisticated meaning. It is a very hard sentence, but something like this could appear on the GMAT SC. Here's the OA, version (D):

Five-star General John Pershing had so sweeping a command in World War I that no single WWII general corresponds to him.

OK, what does this mean? First of all, "sweeping" in this context means "vast, unlimited." Having a "sweeping command" means having virtually unlimited power, having tremendous authority. Pershing was the "top dog" in the US military in WWI. That's the first fact communicated in this sentence.

Now, you asked about the word "correspond." A correspondence is a pattern of matching. X corresponds to Y if X & Y are each in their own pattern, and the two patterns match, X and Y are at matching points in the two patterns.

For example, in the US, the President, corresponds to the Prime Minister in many other countries. They have different titles but the same essential role.

The CEO of a corporation corresponds to the president or chancellor of a university.

One could say that the movements of a symphony correspond to the chapters of a book --- both play the same role of dividing the word into meaningful sections.

One could say that the Eiffel Tower, the iconic landmark of France, corresponds to the Taj Mahal, the iconic landmark of India. They both correspond to the Statue of Liberty in the USA or to the Great Wall of China. It's not clear which single German landmark or single Japanese landmark would most correspond with these.

Here, in this SC question, the pattern of matching concerns the first and the second World War.

If we ask: who was the #1 most important military leader in the US military in WWI? The answer is clearly and unambiguously John Pershing.

If we ask: who was the #1 most important military leader in the US military in WWII? Well, there's not really a clear answer. Many generals were important --- Eisenhower, Patton, Bradley, MacArthur, as well as Admiral Nimitz, etc., but there was none who stood out as the supreme leader, the way Pershing did in WWI. In other words, no WWII leader corresponds to Pershing. Pershing had a specific role in WWI, and nobody had a matching role in WWII.

Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 15

Re: Five-star General John Pershing had such a sweeping command [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2014, 07:10
mikemcgarry wrote:

pls, confirm my idea following
A. to talk of result the idiom is "such ... that" . this is not idiom
B. after "such... that" we can not use "would". PLS ADVISE WHAT TENSE WE USE IN SUCH.. THAT CLAUSE.
C. "so...that" is idiom. this is not idiom
E, the causal relation is not correct inhere

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 1846 [1] , given: 29

Re: Five-star General John Pershing had such a sweeping command [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2014, 09:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
vietmoi999 wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:

pls, confirm my idea following
A. to talk of result the idiom is "such ... that" . this is not idiom
B. after "such... that" we can not use "would". PLS ADVISE WHAT TENSE WE USE IN SUCH.. THAT CLAUSE.
C. "so...that" is idiom. this is not idiom
E, the causal relation is not correct inhere

Dear vietmoi999,
I'm happy to respond. :-) On (A) & (C) & (E), you are 100% correct. In (B), there is no rule about a "that" clause and verb tense --- we simply have to use the verb tense relevant to the situation. If we were talking hypothetically, say about a future war, then we might use "would." WWII was a long time ago, and all the achievements of those generals is well known at this point. There is absolutely nothing hypothetical, speculative, or ambiguous about what those folks accomplished. That's why "would" is wrong. Here, we are taking about a correspondence, a pattern of matching, and this pattern is something we are perceiving in the present moment, so the present tense --- "does correspond" or simply "corresponds" is perfectly correct.

Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Re: Five-star General John Pershing had such a sweeping command   [#permalink] 16 Jul 2014, 09:12