Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 12:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Florida s Gainesville-Hawthorne State Trail, a mixed-use

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Feb 2011
Posts: 89
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 43

Florida s Gainesville-Hawthorne State Trail, a mixed-use [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 16:50
1
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (02:04) correct 36% (01:05) wrong based on 98 sessions
Florida’s Gainesville-Hawthorne State Trail, a mixed-use recreation trail paved over an old rail bed, is a curious paradox: it is not only completely man-made but also designed exclusively for human use, yet is classified as a state park.

A is not only completely man-made but also designed exclusively for human use, yet is

B not only is completely man-made but also exclusively designed for human use, yet it is

C is completely man-made but also exclusively designed for human use, yet

D is completely man-made but also has been designed exclusively for human use, yet is

E is not only completely man-made but also is exclusively designed for human use, yet


could someone break down how they thought of this question? it's little difficult to believe it has been thought of like that
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

We appreciate your kudos'

4 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 1693
Followers: 388

Kudos [?]: 1533 [4] , given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: Florida’s Gainesville-Hawthorne State Trail, a mixed-use rec [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 10:57
4
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
manimgoindowndown wrote:
Florida’s Gainesville-Hawthorne State Trail, a mixed-use recreation trail paved over an old rail bed, is a curious paradox: it is not only completely man-made but also designed exclusively for human use, yet is classified as a state park.
(A) is not only completely man-made but also designed exclusively for human use, yet is
(B) not only is completely man-made but also exclusively designed for human use, yet it is
(C) is completely man-made but also exclusively designed for human use, yet
(D) is completely man-made but also has been designed exclusively for human use, yet is
(E) is not only completely man-made but also is exclusively designed for human use, yet

I'm happy to help with this. :-) This is a great question --- MGMAT really writes good questions!

The basic issue in this one is --- where the common words fall when you have parallel elements in a "not only ... but also" structure. Here's a blog that addresses this issue:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/common-par ... orrection/

Consider the following abstract structure involving "not only ... but also" or any similar correlative structure.

blah blah blah not only blah blah blah but also blah blah blah

I am going to call the purple part "outside" the "not only ... but also" structure, and the green part "inside" the structure. The BIG IDEA is that any common word that applies to both the parallel terms inside the structure can appear
(a) one outside the structure
or
(b) twice inside the structure, once before each term

For example, this is legal:
blah blah blah COMMON not only blah blah blah but also blah blah blah

This is also legal:
blah blah blah not only COMMON blah blah blah but also COMMON blah blah blah

But this is illegal:
blah blah blah not only COMMON blah blah blah but also blah blah blah
and this is similarly illegal:
blah blah blah not only blah blah blah but also COMMON blah blah blah
Those have the common term once inside only. A favorite illegal pattern, very common the GMAT SC, is this:
blah blah blah COMMON not only blah blah blah but also COMMON blah blah blah
the good old "once outside, once inside" mistake --- they love this one!

In this MGMAT SC question, the simple word "is" the common word that applies to both parallel terms.
(A) correctly has the word appear once outside the "not only ... but also" structure --- this is correct.
(B) has the word "is" once inside, in front of the first term, omitted from the second term
(C) & (D) don't have the not only at all, just the but also --- the structure is incomplete
(E) ah, the classic "once outside, once inside" mistake

Here's another practice SC question exploring some of the same ideas:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3290
When you submit your answer to that question, the next page will have a full video explanation.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Feb 2011
Posts: 89
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 43

Re: Florida’s Gainesville-Hawthorne State Trail, a mixed-use rec [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 19:09
Took a little to understand but I think it's a GREAT way to think of idiomatic expressions (not only...but also) being thrown in with other modifiers. I actually found A awkward initially while reading the sentence and by process of elimination thought B was the best choice even though according to your rule and observation it is incorrect.

B also isn't a parallel construction like you observed.


As always thanks !
_________________

We appreciate your kudos'

Manager
Manager
Joined: 20 Sep 2008
Posts: 71
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

Reviews Badge
Re: Florida’s Gainesville-Hawthorne State Trail, a mixed-use rec [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 21:19
mikemcgarry wrote:
manimgoindowndown wrote:
Florida’s Gainesville-Hawthorne State Trail, a mixed-use recreation trail paved over an old rail bed, is a curious paradox: it is not only completely man-made but also designed exclusively for human use, yet is classified as a state park.
(A) is not only completely man-made but also designed exclusively for human use, yet is
(B) not only is completely man-made but also exclusively designed for human use, yet it is
(C) is completely man-made but also exclusively designed for human use, yet
(D) is completely man-made but also has been designed exclusively for human use, yet is
(E) is not only completely man-made but also is exclusively designed for human use, yet

I'm happy to help with this. :-) This is a great question --- MGMAT really writes good questions!

The basic issue in this one is --- where the common words fall when you have parallel elements in a "not only ... but also" structure. Here's a blog that addresses this issue:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/common-par ... orrection/

Consider the following abstract structure involving "not only ... but also" or any similar correlative structure.

blah blah blah not only blah blah blah but also blah blah blah

I am going to call the purple part "outside" the "not only ... but also" structure, and the green part "inside" the structure. The BIG IDEA is that any common word that applies to both the parallel terms inside the structure can appear
(a) one outside the structure
or
(b) twice inside the structure, once before each term

For example, this is legal:
blah blah blah COMMON not only blah blah blah but also blah blah blah

This is also legal:
blah blah blah not only COMMON blah blah blah but also COMMON blah blah blah

But this is illegal:
blah blah blah not only COMMON blah blah blah but also blah blah blah
and this is similarly illegal:
blah blah blah not only blah blah blah but also COMMON blah blah blah
Those have the common term once inside only. A favorite illegal pattern, very common the GMAT SC, is this:
blah blah blah COMMON not only blah blah blah but also COMMON blah blah blah
the good old "once outside, once inside" mistake --- they love this one!

In this MGMAT SC question, the simple word "is" the common word that applies to both parallel terms.
(A) correctly has the word appear once outside the "not only ... but also" structure --- this is correct.
(B) has the word "is" once inside, in front of the first term, omitted from the second term
(C) & (D) don't have the not only at all, just the but also --- the structure is incomplete
(E) ah, the classic "once outside, once inside" mistake

Here's another practice SC question exploring some of the same ideas:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3290
When you submit your answer to that question, the next page will have a full video explanation.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Mike :-)


Mike, thank you for the grammar lesson. Could you also give some pointers to the "yet is..." usage? I guess the lack of a pronoun "it" bugs me. Thanks!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Feb 2011
Posts: 89
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 43

Re: Florida’s Gainesville-Hawthorne State Trail, a mixed-use rec [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 21:29
stoy4o wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:
manimgoindowndown wrote:
Florida’s Gainesville-Hawthorne State Trail, a mixed-use recreation trail paved over an old rail bed, is a curious paradox: it is not only completely man-made but also designed exclusively for human use, yet is classified as a state park.
(A) is not only completely man-made but also designed exclusively for human use, yet is
(B) not only is completely man-made but also exclusively designed for human use, yet it is
(C) is completely man-made but also exclusively designed for human use, yet
(D) is completely man-made but also has been designed exclusively for human use, yet is
(E) is not only completely man-made but also is exclusively designed for human use, yet

I'm happy to help with this. :-) This is a great question --- MGMAT really writes good questions!

The basic issue in this one is --- where the common words fall when you have parallel elements in a "not only ... but also" structure. Here's a blog that addresses this issue:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/common-par ... orrection/

Consider the following abstract structure involving "not only ... but also" or any similar correlative structure.

blah blah blah not only blah blah blah but also blah blah blah

I am going to call the purple part "outside" the "not only ... but also" structure, and the green part "inside" the structure. The BIG IDEA is that any common word that applies to both the parallel terms inside the structure can appear
(a) one outside the structure
or
(b) twice inside the structure, once before each term

For example, this is legal:
blah blah blah COMMON not only blah blah blah but also blah blah blah

This is also legal:
blah blah blah not only COMMON blah blah blah but also COMMON blah blah blah

But this is illegal:
blah blah blah not only COMMON blah blah blah but also blah blah blah
and this is similarly illegal:
blah blah blah not only blah blah blah but also COMMON blah blah blah
Those have the common term once inside only. A favorite illegal pattern, very common the GMAT SC, is this:
blah blah blah COMMON not only blah blah blah but also COMMON blah blah blah
the good old "once outside, once inside" mistake --- they love this one!

In this MGMAT SC question, the simple word "is" the common word that applies to both parallel terms.
(A) correctly has the word appear once outside the "not only ... but also" structure --- this is correct.
(B) has the word "is" once inside, in front of the first term, omitted from the second term
(C) & (D) don't have the not only at all, just the but also --- the structure is incomplete
(E) ah, the classic "once outside, once inside" mistake

Here's another practice SC question exploring some of the same ideas:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3290
When you submit your answer to that question, the next page will have a full video explanation.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Mike :-)


Mike, thank you for the grammar lesson. Could you also give some pointers to the "yet is..." usage? I guess the lack of a pronoun "it" bugs me. Thanks!



So 1. you check the idiomatic construction like Mike did 2. The parallelism with yet has to do with what is before and after it being the same since the 'common' or 'it' as mike said is outside of the conjunction.

It's just the same concept applied again. Do you understand it? Or am I wrong here Mike, and the 'common' can only apply to idioms?

Another reason why I would see no problem with just having is, in addition to the it already being stated is, what would that it be referring to? That would be ambiguous
_________________

We appreciate your kudos'

Manager
Manager
Joined: 20 Sep 2008
Posts: 71
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

Reviews Badge
Re: Florida’s Gainesville-Hawthorne State Trail, a mixed-use rec [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 21:48
Quote:
So 1. you check the idiomatic construction like Mike did 2. The parallelism with yet has to do with what is before and after it being the same since the 'common' or 'it' as mike said is outside of the conjunction.

It's just the same concept applied again. Do you understand it? Or am I wrong here Mike, and the 'common' can only apply to idioms?

Another reason why I would see no problem with just having is, in addition to the it already being stated is, what would that it be referring to? That would be ambiguous


I see what you're saying and I may be wrong, but I don't think the same inside/outside common rule that Mike explained about the idiomatic expression applies here. Having "it" next to "yet" would refer to the same subject to which "IT is not only..." refers to (aka. "Trail" - the only subject). My only reasoning for why "yet is ..." is correct is that "yet it is..." makes the clause independent. In this case it is not gramatically correct to connect independent clauses with a comma.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 288
Location: India
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 75

Re: Florida s Gainesville-Hawthorne State Trail, a mixed-use [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 02:14
Florida’s Gainesville-Hawthorne State Trail, a mixed-use recreation trail paved over an old rail bed, is a curious paradox: it is not only completely man-made but also designed exclusively for human use, yet is classified as a state park.

A is not only completely man-made but also designed exclusively for human use, yet is

B not only is completely man-made but also exclusively designed for human use, yet it is. distorts parallelism in two places. 1: in Not only..but also . 2. It (<--Non parallel part in non-underline portion) it is...doesn't make sense

C is completely man-made but also exclusively designed for human use, yet. distorts parallelism

D is completely man-made but also has been designed exclusively for human use, yet is. distorts parallelism

E is not only completely man-made but also is exclusively designed for human use, yet
distorts parallelism
_________________

YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 2266
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 239

Kudos [?]: 1169 [1] , given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Florida s Gainesville-Hawthorne State Trail, a mixed-use [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 10:46
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The golden rule to follow the correlative conjunction parallelism in such cases as --- (not only….. but also), (both ---- and) etc is this. Simply ensure that what are on the right- hand side of these two conjunctions are both in the same structure or part of speech. As per the tenets of this creed,
(A) is not only completely man-made but also designed exclusively for human use, yet is ---- perfect bet; and correct choice
(B) not only is completely man-made but also exclusively designed for human use, yet it is --- //ism problem
(C) is completely man-made but also exclusively designed for human use, yet --- not only is missing
(D) is completely man-made but also has been designed exclusively for human use, yet is --- not only is missing
(E) is not only completely man-made but also is exclusively designed for human use, yet--- //ism problem
A special note on “not only--- but also”. It is not imperative that when you use not only, you have to necessarily use ‘but also’ You can be content with ‘not only--- but’ and leave out the ‘also’. But such a phenomenon is rare in GMAT domain. Just keep it in your memory bank. But if you uses - but also- , you must necessarily have - not only - in the first arm. You can not dispense with -not only-, in such cases.

Some theory about yet. Yet is one of the FANBOYS (For, And, Not, But, Or, Yet and So) coordinating conjunctions. A coordinating conjunction can perfectly merge two ICS with just a comma. But you must ensure that the conjunction is necessarily there.

I ran fast, for I wanted the catch the train.
I ran fast, and (I) caught the train
I am not running fast, nor do I intend to
I ran fast but (I) missed the train
I have to run fast, or I will miss the train
I ran fast, yet (I) missed the train
I ran fast, so I caught the train
In some cases you may repeat the subject or simply ignore it; still the sentences make sense
As per this maxim, yet preceded by a comma can join two independent clauses. But using just yet without a verb will break the //ism. You cannot combine a clause and a phrase.
Re: Florida s Gainesville-Hawthorne State Trail, a mixed-use   [#permalink] 01 Mar 2013, 10:46
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
New posts Trailing Partners aaudetat 8 28 Dec 2006, 17:36
New posts Florida cruiser 3 24 Sep 2007, 19:43
Popular new posts 5 Mixture Problem (Trail Mix) milanproda 12 20 Jul 2011, 21:53
New posts Florida State University Profile Evaluation arod7533 0 16 Nov 2011, 13:43
New posts Florida s Gainesville-Hawthorne State Trail, a mixed-use shikhar 9 20 Jan 2013, 01:53
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Florida s Gainesville-Hawthorne State Trail, a mixed-use

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.