Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 04:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

"Fly-in" students

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

"Fly-in" students [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2007, 11:49
I was reading up on UCLA's FEMBA program and it mentions that some students fly down to Los Angeles from the Bay Area every weekend to attend classes. They would leave early Saturday morning and return home later in the evening. Is this common for other part-time programs that offer weekend courses?

I might consider doing this myself, but I can't ignore the possible downsides. It seems that the potential social disconnect between a "fly-in" student and the rest of his/her fellow students is quite probable. For example, you will only be able to attend social events that occur when you are in town. Also, given the current security of the country and unpredictable weather that may occur, it seems that over the course of three years you are bound to miss a flight or two. Does anyone have any insight that they dont mind sharing?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2007, 12:22
Anderson is my #1 choice and I'd be a fly-in. Its very manageable. I did the open house in March as a fly-in then came back to SJC with a group of P/Ters as well!

I have spoken with a few alums about this and they all stated that over the course of 3 years the definitely got to know the Anderson Bay Area folks, but it did take some time/effort.

Personally, I know there will be times when I stay the weekend, or fly in Friday at Noon for an evening event. I accept this going in, and if it means going to the school with the best fit for me takes a few stays at a Holiday Inn, so be it.

In the end, it comes down to you. If you've got the will, there is a way.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Are all classes held on Saturday? [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2007, 20:17
On the website it mentions that classes are not only held on Saturday. Classes are held on weekday evenings also.

Can all the classes be managed only through Saturday fly-ins?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2007, 23:00
the ucla FEMBA is not good for fly-ins but their EMBA program is ok for fly ins since class is only on fri/sat every other week.

RVD.
  [#permalink] 05 Oct 2007, 23:00