Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 16:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Focusing while Studying

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.78
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Focusing while Studying [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 02:23
How does one stay focused for long periods of time, 1 hr, 2-4. The good study posts say study for 4 hrs a day, I find that if I sit down for a three hour study only .5 hrs gets dedicated to studying!?! How does one instill discipline and self-confidence without caffeine. Thanks
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 05-01-2013
GPA: 3.57

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: Focusing while Studying [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 06:40
Sounds like how i used to be, i couldn't focus to save my live. i recently saw a psychiatrist and he prescribed medicine to help with concentration - it definitely helps but the side effects are awful so if you can get into a routine without needing medication i think that is the way to go.

when you have ADD-like symptoms, you have to be very disciplined. here are some of my tips i use:

1. seclude yourself. you have to remove all distractions. either go to a library or find a desk/table in a quiet secluded place away from people. do not bring your cell phone. try to avoid using your computer unless doing online practice problems. GMAT studying requires a lot of concentration and any distractions can completely throw you off.

2. make a plan. this is what i find most helpful. i have trouble organizing my thoughts in my head, so i make a list to plan my day of studying, and i stick to it. for example, i will set specific goals such as "do 30 problem solving questions", "take notes on chapter 5", etc. i feel guilty when i can't check something off of my to-do list at the end of the day.

3. take notes. when reading, it is easy to let your mind wander and suddenly you are not retaining what your eyes are reading. if you take notes while reading, it will help to keep you on task and will help your brain retain the information.

4. eat healthy, get enough sleep, exercise. a healthy mind requires a healthy body. healthy food will give your body the fuel it needs to keep you focused and feeling good. exercise works wonders for thought clarity.

5. tape a photo of your dream school logo near your study station. when you find yourself getting distracted, look at the logo and remind yourself of why you have to do this. a little motivation can make a world of difference!
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 295

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 6

Re: Focusing while Studying [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 12:54
Expert's post
Policarpa wrote:
How does one stay focused for long periods of time, 1 hr, 2-4. The good study posts say study for 4 hrs a day, I find that if I sit down for a three hour study only .5 hrs gets dedicated to studying!?! How does one instill discipline and self-confidence without caffeine. Thanks

Make sure your study environment is conducive to good studying.

If you're studying on the computer - make sure you remove all chat windows, etc. Turn off your cell phone if you need to. Remove all distractions.

When you attempt each question, pretend you are actually sitting in the testing center and staring at the real GMAT test question. If you psychologically create this urgency in your head, you'll treat the study session more seriously and get more done.

Remember, the study process IS like a marathon, so you need to prepare psychologically for this long journey.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.78

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Focusing while Studying [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 05:46
Thanks so much for the insight, I have 4 months till test day and I want to make the most of it but there seems to be so much to cover. Plus it seems that the lists that I make are way too long, so I need to work on realistic goals, but then all the posts that say go though all the MGMAT books twice, tests twice, OGuides, that takes at least 5-6 months or more?
Re: Focusing while Studying   [#permalink] 25 Mar 2013, 05:46