Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 07:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Following are a few questions where it will be great to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Following are a few questions where it will be great to [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2010, 10:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:34) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions
Following are a few questions where it will be great to discuss why exactly is the answer crossed out is wrong. Thats the one I picked and perhaps many others getting it wrong may pick. The correct answer is also marked.

Q. Today’s technology allows manufacturers to make small cars more fuel-efficient now than at any time in their production history.
A. small cars more fuel-efficient now than at any time in their
B. small cars that are more fuel-efficient than they were at any time in their
C.small cars that are more fuel-efficient than those at any other time in -- Correct answer
D. more fuel-efficient small cars than those at any other time in their ---X
E. more fuel-efficient small cars now than at any time in

Q. Under high pressure and intense heat, graphite, the most stable form of pure carbon, changes into the substance commonly referred to as diamond and remaining this way whether or not the heat and pressure are removed.
A. remaining this way whether or not
B. remaining like that even as
C. remaining as such whether or not
D. remains in this way although --Correct answer
E. remains thus even when ---X

Q. One of every two new businesses fail within two years.
(A) fail
(B) fails--- X
(C) should fail
(D) may have failed
(E) has failed -- Correct answer

Q. The commission has directed advertisers to restrict the use of the word “natural” to foods that do not contain color or flavor additives, chemical preservatives, or nothing that has been synthesized.
(A) or nothing that has been
(B) nor anything that was
(C) and nothing that is
(D) or anything that has been -- Correct answer
(E) and anything ---X
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Why is this wrong - SC [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2010, 10:49
This post received
KUDOS
For the first question, I think the "their" is ambiguous. It can refer both to cars and manufacturers.

For the second, the statement is a general statement. It's stated as a fact. When it comes to facts, GMAT uses simple present tenses. Using 'has failed' is wrong for this case.

For the third, using 'and' means that the ban only applies to foods that contain ALL of these restrictions. Using 'or' is correct and idiomatic in this case. (I believe you got this in OG12)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Why is this wrong - SC [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2010, 10:50
RGM wrote:
For the first question, I think the "their" is ambiguous. It can refer both to cars and manufacturers.

For the second, the statement is a general statement. It's stated as a fact. When it comes to facts, GMAT uses simple present tenses. Using 'has failed' is wrong for this case.

For the third, using 'and' means that the ban only applies to foods that contain ALL of these restrictions. Using 'or' is correct and idiomatic in this case. (I believe you got this in OG12)

Didn't mean only GMAT uses simple present tenses. It's the correct verb tense for expressing facts.
Re: Why is this wrong - SC   [#permalink] 11 Jul 2010, 10:50