Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 14:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Following are my scores in SC section of these paper tests:

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Following are my scores in SC section of these paper tests: [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2012, 10:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions

Test code 31: 16 out of 22 (72% correct)
Test code 42: 16 out of 22 (72% correct)
Test code 48: 19 out of 22 (86% correct)
Test code 52: 14 out of 22 (63% correct)
Test code 55: 17 out of 22 (77% correct)

For some reason, the scores are quite inconsistent and I am finding they test rules that are mainly exceptions to the normal rules.

Would like to know, how sentence correction in these paper tests represent the current actual GMAT test? I would ideally like to score over 80% to support my weak CR and RC.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Following are my scores in SC section of these paper tests: [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2012, 10:04
Guys, please reply...I'm confused how competitive are these scores :?

mikeworld wrote:

For some reason, the scores are quite inconsistent and I am finding they test rules that are mainly exceptions to the normal rules.

Would like to know, how sentence correction in these paper tests represent the current actual GMAT test? I would ideally like to score over 80% to support my weak CR and RC.
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 486

Kudos [?]: 1980 [0], given: 29

Re: Following are my scores in SC section of these paper tests: [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2012, 14:48
Expert's post
mikeworld wrote:

I'm happy to help with this. :-)

First of all, I suggest that you post some specific examples of SC question you thought were based on "exceptions to the normal rules." After all, it could be argued that much of English grammar itself, even the English language itself, is little more than a collection of "exceptions" --- clearly, grammar is not nearly as neat & regular as, say, mathematics. I guess I wonder what kinds of things you are calling "exceptions to the normal rules." Expectations of "normal" can be significant here.

As for your plan to use strong SC to pull up CR & RC --- that's dubious only because the V section (like the Q section) is Computer Adaptive. See this blog for more info:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/computeriz ... mat-score/

You see, the questions on the V section come in batches; 3-4 of one of the three question types, then 3-4 of the next, then 3-4 of the next, etc.

Let's say the first few were CR --- if you are poor on CR, you would get more wrong than right, and then you would get successively easier question from the CAT --- by the time you were 3-4 question into it, and moved, say, to SC, you would start with relatively easy SC question, and then getting those right, the difficulty levels would rise --- let's assume, hypothetically, that you get every SC right --- then the difficulty level would be up to good-n-hard by the time the question type switched from SC to RC. You would be enter a weaker area, RC, at the harder end of the spectrum.

If this were an ordinary standard point test, each problem worth the same, then using one problem type to pull up weakness in the other two might be valid plan. With the CAT, though, there are multiple problems. Getting an easy question right is worth less than getting a hard question right, and if you are getting most of the non-SC questions wrong, you will always enter the SC section at the easy level, so getting those questions right will not be worth as much. Furthermore, every time you switched away from SC to another type, you would be faced with a comparatively difficult question in one of your weaker areas. You would be always entering your strength at the easy end (which is worth less) and always entering your weakness at the difficult end. Do you see what I mean?

I would highly recommend to do what you can to get ALL of your Verbal up to speed. Here are a couple blogs you may find helpful:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/save-time- ... questions/
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-readi ... ully-once/

In fact, in case you find it helpful, here's a free GMAT ebook ---
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-ebook/

I hope all this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Re: Following are my scores in SC section of these paper tests:   [#permalink] 23 Oct 2012, 14:48