Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 18:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Following several years of declining advertising sales, the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Following several years of declining advertising sales, the [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2008, 09:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

29% (03:09) correct 71% (02:41) wrong based on 22 sessions
Following several years of declining advertising sales, the Greenville Times reorganized its advertising sales force. Before reorganization, the sales force was organized geographically, with some sales representatives concentrating on city-center businesses and others concentrating on different outlying regions. The reorganization attempted to increase the sales representatives' knowledge of clients' businesses by having each sales representative deal with only one type of industry or of retailing. After the reorganization, revenue from advertising sales increased.

In assessing whether the improvement in advertising sales can properly be attributed to the reorganization, it would be most helpful to find out which of the following EXCEPT?

1) Two years ago, what proportion of the Greenville Time's total revenue was generated by advertising sales

2) Has the circulation of the Greenville Times increased substantially in the last two years

3) Has there been a substantial turnover in personnel in the advertising sales force over the last 2 years

4) Before the reorganization, had sales representatives found it difficult to keep up with relevant developments in all types of businesses to which they are assigned?

5) Has the economy in Greenville and the surrounding regions been growing rapidly over the last two years?
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 39 [1] , given: 20

Re: Following several years of declining advertising sales, the [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2012, 22:05
This post received
KUDOS
bigfernhead wrote:
Following several years of declining advertising sales, the Greenville Times reorganized its advertising sales force. Before reorganization, the sales force was organized geographically, with some sales representatives concentrating on city-center businesses and others concentrating on different outlying regions. The reorganization attempted to increase the sales representatives' knowledge of clients' businesses by having each sales representative deal with only one type of industry or of retailing. After the reorganization, revenue from advertising sales increased.

In assessing whether the improvement in advertising sales can properly be attributed to the reorganization, it would be most helpful to find out which of the following EXCEPT?

1) Two years ago, what proportion of the Greenville Time's total revenue was generated by advertising sales

2) Has the circulation of the Greenville Times increased substantially in the last two years

3) Has there been a substantial turnover in personnel in the advertising sales force over the last 2 years

4) Before the reorganization, had sales representatives found it difficult to keep up with relevant developments in all types of businesses to which they are assigned?

5) Has the economy in Greenville and the surrounding regions been growing rapidly over the last two years?

I go with E because, if E is true, then internal reorganization impact on increased sales would be zero or minimal.

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Following several years of declining advertising sales, the [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2012, 20:36
Clear E
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IE '15 (M)
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Following several years of declining advertising sales, the [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 05:54
I would go with "A" --> OA?

It does not make any difference whether i know the proportion or not. However it does make a difference to know whether the economy has been grown or not.
Intern
Intern

Re: Following several years of declining advertising sales, the [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 06:50
I go with B!! In A if we know the proportion of Advertisment to total revenue increased ,it shows the reorganization has been successful

Posted from my mobile device Image
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 286 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Following several years of declining advertising sales, the [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 08:09
Chembeti wrote:
bigfernhead wrote:

I go with E because, if E is true, then internal reorganization impact on increased sales would be zero or minimal.

So isn't it that E is worth knowing because the information of E makes us aware that the increased sales is because of Economy growth or because of internal reorg impact.....If E being true or false had no impact on the assessment then i would have agreed with E.
IMO B because this information has no impact on the assessment ....
correct me if i am wrong.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Intern
Intern

Re: Following several years of declining advertising sales, the [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 12:31
OMG,I just want to correct my post!! I said B,but I overlooked the common mistake that by having the information about the proportion alone, we can't evaluate anything because it is not clear wether the increase caused by decrease of total revenue or by increase of advertisment!!so I guess A is the answer!!but still not sure about B!A is more compelling but why not B?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: Following several years of declining advertising sales, the [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 21:25
i am confused between B and E. In E why cant the increase in economy be due to the increase in sales ?? If so E cannot be the answer .

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Following several years of declining advertising sales, the [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 23:19
+1 B
Intern
Intern

Re: Following several years of declining advertising sales, the [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2012, 07:44
Hi, I would go with A as the correct option.

As is clearly stated, " following years of declining advertising sales ", it is good to assume that revenue was declining year by year ( and not revenue / total revenue, i.e. percentage ).

Hence, if revenue increased, it is an improvement for sure, as an increased revenue over the past years revenue which was lesser compared to the year before that, knowing the %age change is irrelevant.

regarding E, this is important to know, as if people have more power to purchase, that might be an important factor in the increased revenue and changes in organisation might not have played that important a role.

hope the above helps.
Re: Following several years of declining advertising sales, the   [#permalink] 26 Jan 2012, 07:44