Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 01:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 9

Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2013, 21:17
Actually the word "inclusive" doesn't seem to help much. It might still mean the intervals starting from the interval 9:00 to 9:05 and ending at the interval 5:50 to 5:55.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep
http://www.sravna.com/courses.php

Classroom Courses in Chennai

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 40

Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2013, 21:34
I can definitely see how there might have been some confusion.

This actually is due to a very subtle English language issue that would be difficult even for the best testers at sentence correction.

If it was saying "a museum was selling admission tickets..." then this would imply that each interval counts.

It didn't say that though... it said "a museum sold..."

The difference between the past tense and the past perfect tense (if that's what it's called?) is that the former implies an action that happened at only one specific point in time.

This means that the tickets were sold AT and ONLY at 9:00 for that interval, and that the last tickets were sold AT and ONLY AT 5:55 for that 5 minute interval that would have ended at 6:00. This gives us 108.

If the question had instead asked "a museum was selling..." then we would have had 107 because the interval from 5:55 to 6:00 would not have counted.
Manager
Manager

Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2013, 22:05
just realized what the error was after rereading and edited my last response as to why it's 108 instead of 107
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2013, 22:42
dave785 wrote:

This actually is due to a very subtle English language issue that would be difficult even for the best testers at sentence correction.

If it was saying "a museum was selling admission tickets..." then this would imply that each interval counts.

The difference between the past tense and the past perfect tense (if that's what it's called?) is that the former implies an action that happened at only one specific point in time.

This means that the tickets were sold AT and ONLY at 9:00 for that interval, and that the last tickets were sold AT and ONLY AT 5:55 for that 5 minute interval that would have ended at 6:00. This gives us 108.

If the question had instead asked "a museum was selling..." then we would have had 107 because the interval from 5:55 to 6:00 would not have counted.

Dear Dave,

Why should not the statement "a museum sold admission tickets to 30 people every five minutes", be taken to assume, that the period of selling is a 5 minute interval?

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep

Manager
Manager

Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2013, 23:11
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
dave785 wrote:

Dear Dave,

Why should not the statement "a museum sold admission tickets to 30 people every five minutes", be taken to assume, that the period of selling is a 5 minute interval?

It means the opposite - that every five minutes, 30 tickets are sold. This is not an ongoing process over the five minutes, but rather somethign that happens at one specific time. Therefore, we include all 30 tickets sold at 9:00, since that is one of the specific times, and we also include 30 tickets sold at 5:55, because that is another of the specific times.

Let me rephrase the question:

If someone rings a bell every five minutes, starting at 9:00 and ending at 5:55, how many times will the bell have rung?

To answer that correctly, i don't even need to use the word "Inclusive..." including it is just a courtesy to prevent any mix ups.

Compare that to "someone plays a song with a duration of five minutes, starting at 9:00 and ending at 5:55, how many times will the song have played?"

That answer will be one less than the bell ringing one, because the song has duration.

Past tense "sold" implies an act that happened once and that has no duration.
Past perfect "was selling" implies an act that was ongoing in the past and that had duration.

That's where the mixup is coming in.

As for why it should mean what it means... that's a pretty deep question. The manhattan sentence correction guide does a great job of breaking down the difference between past tense and past perfect (or is it past imperfect?) tense... but I think this is one question that is pretty biased towards US-born English speakers. That's just how we interpret that wording... but while it might be biased, it's also the grammatically correct way to interpret it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2013, 00:04
What about this? The company sold 30 cars every 30 days. Should it be taken to mean that the company sold the cars at a particular point of time only?

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep

Manager
Manager

Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2013, 00:16
SravnaTestPrep wrote:
What about this? The company sold 30 cars every 30 days. Should it be taken to mean that the company sold the cars at a particular point of time only?

Yes, although a lot of people make that grammatical mixup. The correct idiom would be "The company could sell 30 cars over 30 days" if it wasn't all 30 at once.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2013, 00:27
dave785 wrote:
SravnaTestPrep wrote:

Literally? Yes. The correct idiom would be "The company sold 30 cars over 30 days" if it wasn't all 30 at once.

I could also say that " the company sold 30 cars every month, starting from January and ending in December both inclusive."

I think demanding subtle language skills from the student for solving a math problem, is being unduly biased.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2013, 01:17
dave785 wrote:

It is called past continuous and it is not used in the way you seem to suggest.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep

Manager
Manager
Schools: Duke '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 76

Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 14:36
it took me 16minutes and i still got it wrong. N it says 9-5:55 so why are we looking at the intervals between 9 and 9 55 only?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 07 May 2013, 19:48
I guess this is not a great question. The only thing to do is guess towards the end.

If you work with the logic that there are 11 intervals in the last hour (which is what most of us did), then you reach a total value of 3210 for the number of tickets. When you try and solve for the number of regular and student tickets, you get answers in decimals, which is not possible as the number of tickets have to be integers.

At that point, there are two options:

1) Realize that there are indeed 12 intervals in the last hour as the only other possibility.

2) Carry on with the calculation which gives an answer of something around $28,845. As this falls between D and E, you guess on one and the probability of getting the question right is 50/50. Still better than nothing.

Although, the takeaway for this question is the keyword "inclusive". This word is more common when we deal with sets of consecutive integers or evenly spaced sets and are able to deal with it more easily there. But from now on, we will just have to pay more attention to it when we see it in other question types
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1013

Kudos [?]: 4317 [0], given: 161

Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 07:56
Expert's post
madzstar wrote:
it took me 16minutes and i still got it wrong. N it says 9-5:55 so why are we looking at the intervals between 9 and 9 55 only?

The intervals from 9 to 9:55 have been shown only to demonstrate that every hour will have 12 intervals. There are 9 such hours. So total intervals will be 12*9

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V27
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.27
WE: Operations (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 8

Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2014, 02:52
hi everyone, today this question really got me confused.
and not by the "interval" nor the "inclusive" parts,

but it is the "If on one day 3 times as many regular admissions tickets were sold as student tickets" part,
my interpretation of that part means that for each regular tickets there three students tickets sold, not the other way around.
am I the only one here that got this wrong in this part?
and can someone help explain the logic in that sentence.

thanks
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1013

Kudos [?]: 4317 [0], given: 161

Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2014, 20:25
Expert's post
sayno wrote:
hi everyone, today this question really got me confused.
and not by the "interval" nor the "inclusive" parts,

but it is the "If on one day 3 times as many regular admissions tickets were sold as student tickets" part,
my interpretation of that part means that for each regular tickets there three students tickets sold, not the other way around.
am I the only one here that got this wrong in this part?
and can someone help explain the logic in that sentence.

thanks

Consider this:
You are 3 times as smart as me.

Who is smarter - you or me? You are smarter, right?

Similarly, "3 times as many regular admissions tickets were sold as student tickets"
Regular tickets sold were more or student tickets?
Regular tickets sold were 3 times so regular tickets sold were more. So there were 3 regular tickets sold for each student ticket.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 3.53
WE: Analyst (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 6

CAT Tests
Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2014, 21:30
Took me a little longer than I wished on this one, but here's how I came up with it:

Step 1 --> Set up the equation for total tickets sold.

Each hour has 12 intervals to sell tickets, with a total time to sell tickets of 9 hours. 9*12=108 separate intervals to sell 30 tickets, so 30*108=3,240 total tickets.

Step 2 --> Set up the equation for ticket prices.

Based on a ration of 3:1 I wanted to come up with an average ticket selling price. So I took (10+10+10+6)/4=9 because for every three adult tickets sold, we also sold one student ticket. On average the theater sold tickets for $9.00 each.

Step 3 --> Apply the two to one another.

3,240 total tickets * $9.00 average ticket price = $29,160

:-D
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2014, 14:57
Let us just assume that the ticket sales was done for one hour from 9.00 AM to 10. AM - both times included.
Sales happened every 5 minutes

In the above example the number of times sale happened would be 12 + 1 = 13.

Many students would forget to add the 1 at the end and hence the GMAT question setting authority had indicated that the last sale happened at 5.55 instead of at 6.00 PM.

They are really testing how quickly we can do the multiplication and splitting the total time in the ratio of 1:3 etc.

Hope this helps
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 08 May 2014, 05:54
Another way to solve is.
First intervals 60/5=12intervals per hour.
Now, from 9 to 5.55 we have 9 of such intervals hence total intervals 9*12 = 108

Then, weighted average 10$ tx and 6$ tx are in the ratio 3:1 hence weighted avg is 9$.

Hence answer will be multiple of 9, (A,D are out at this point).

9*108*30=29,160.

Answer: E
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 28

Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2014, 10:45
Sad that the math portion of the exam is becoming less about actual math and becoming a verbal section. Down right shameful

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2014, 09:35
Bunuel wrote:
clarkkent0610 wrote:
For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets to a group of 30 people every 5 minutes from 9:00 in the morning to 5:55 in the afternoon, inclusive. The price of a regular admission ticket was $10 and the price of a student ticket was $6. If on one day 3 times as many regular admission tickets were sold as student tickets, what was the total revenue from ticket sales that day?

A. $24960
B. $25920
C. $28080
D. $28500
E. $29160

From 9:00 in the morning to 5:55 in the afternoon, inclusive there are 9*12=108 five-minute intervals, thus total of 108*30 tickets were sold.

Say x student and 3x regular tickets were sold, then x+3x=108*30 --> x=27*30 and 3x=3*(27*30)=27*90.

Therefore, the total revenue from ticket sales that day was 27*30*6+27*90*10=$29,160.

Answer: E.

Hope it's clear.

Where did you get x = 27 * 30 from? and also 3x = 3* (27 * 30)? Are you factoring here?
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3189

Kudos [?]: 21283 [0], given: 2543

Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2014, 09:39
Expert's post
sagnik2422 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
clarkkent0610 wrote:
For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets to a group of 30 people every 5 minutes from 9:00 in the morning to 5:55 in the afternoon, inclusive. The price of a regular admission ticket was $10 and the price of a student ticket was $6. If on one day 3 times as many regular admission tickets were sold as student tickets, what was the total revenue from ticket sales that day?

A. $24960
B. $25920
C. $28080
D. $28500
E. $29160

From 9:00 in the morning to 5:55 in the afternoon, inclusive there are 9*12=108 five-minute intervals, thus total of 108*30 tickets were sold.

Say x student and 3x regular tickets were sold, then x+3x=108*30 --> x=27*30 and 3x=3*(27*30)=27*90.

Therefore, the total revenue from ticket sales that day was 27*30*6+27*90*10=$29,160.

Answer: E.

Hope it's clear.

Where did you get x = 27 * 30 from? and also 3x = 3* (27 * 30)? Are you factoring here?

x+3x=108*30 --> 4x=108*30 --> reduce by 4: x=27*30 --> multiply by 3: 3x=3*(27*30)=27*90.

I think you need to brush up fundamentals...

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets   [#permalink] 04 Jul 2014, 09:39