Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 02:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Oct 2012
Posts: 16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 13:02
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (medium)

Question Stats:

51% (03:34) correct 48% (03:22) wrong based on 186 sessions
For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets to a group of 30 people every 5 minutes from 9:00 in the morning to 5:55 in the afternoon, inclusive. The price of a regular admission ticket was $10 and the price of a student ticket was $6. If on one day 3 times as many regular admission tickets were sold as student tickets, what was the total revenue from ticket sales that day?

A. $24960
B. $25920
C. $28080
D. $28500
E. $29160
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 2289
Followers: 230

Kudos [?]: 1975 [0], given: 669

Re: GMATPrep question pack 1 problem [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 14:45
Expert's post
this problem was tough even translating each phrase at time :( the only thing to be able was strategic guess

after the first phrase we have that : A + S = 2850 (total of tickets)

then: 10A + 6S = X(this is the last unknown we want)

and we know that for each ticket A we sold 3 times S ticket A = 3S

At this point looking at the answer choice a guess E and is correct, but i was not able to solve it. something is unclear :(

Hoping in a Mod advice :help2
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition

TOEFL iBT
Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 18514
Followers: 3195

Kudos [?]: 21377 [2] , given: 2546

Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 04:13
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
clarkkent0610 wrote:
For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets to a group of 30 people every 5 minutes from 9:00 in the morning to 5:55 in the afternoon, inclusive. The price of a regular admission ticket was $10 and the price of a student ticket was $6. If on one day 3 times as many regular admission tickets were sold as student tickets, what was the total revenue from ticket sales that day?

A. $24960
B. $25920
C. $28080
D. $28500
E. $29160


From 9:00 in the morning to 5:55 in the afternoon, inclusive there are 9*12=108 five-minute intervals, thus total of 108*30 tickets were sold.

Say x student and 3x regular tickets were sold, then x+3x=108*30 --> x=27*30 and 3x=3*(27*30)=27*90.

Therefore, the total revenue from ticket sales that day was 27*30*6+27*90*10=$29,160.

Answer: E.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 2289
Followers: 230

Kudos [?]: 1975 [0], given: 669

Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 11:58
Expert's post
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 18514
Followers: 3195

Kudos [?]: 21377 [0], given: 2546

Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 12:26
Expert's post
carcass wrote:
Sorry Bunuel but our statement say: 9 Am to 5.55 PM so we have 12*8 = 96 + 11 (and not 12 because the museum sells tickets untill 5.55 PM) so = 107

Thi poin is still unclear for me. :wall :wall



From 9:00 in the morning to 5:55 in the afternoon, inclusive there are are 9*12=108 five-minute intervals, the same way as from 9:00 to 9:55 there are 12 five-minute intervals:
9:00
9:05
9:10
9:15
9:20
9:25
9:30
9:35
9:40
9:45
9:50
9:55

Hope it's clear.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2012
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 12:33
If you assume they sell the first batch of tickets at 9:00 AM then you get to 108..... although they do not make this very clear in the question.
Expert Post
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 2289
Followers: 230

Kudos [?]: 1975 [0], given: 669

Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 13:29
Expert's post
Bunuel wrote:
carcass wrote:
Sorry Bunuel but our statement say: 9 Am to 5.55 PM so we have 12*8 = 96 + 11 (and not 12 because the museum sells tickets untill 5.55 PM) so = 107

Thi poin is still unclear for me. :wall :wall



From 9:00 in the morning to 5:55 in the afternoon, inclusive there are are 9*12=108 five-minute intervals, the same way as from 9:00 to 9:55 there are 12 five-minute intervals:
9:00
9:05
9:10
9:15
9:20
9:25
9:30
9:35
9:40
9:45
9:50
9:55

Hope it's clear.


:roll: :roll:
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition

TOEFL iBT
Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2011
Posts: 66
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 13:08
Hi Bunuel,

I just want to understand the following explanation. I have this particular doubt on this question.

Bunuel wrote:
From 9:00 in the morning to 5:55 in the afternoon, inclusive there are 9*12=108 five-minute intervals, thus total of 108*30 tickets were sold.


As you have explained that 9 * 12 = 108. Why we are not taking 8 hrs 55 mins ? After calculating, 12 * 8 = 96+11 (last 55 mins interval) = 107.
Then 107 *30 = 3210, and this differs the answer.

Please clarify.

Thanks & Regards
Vinni
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2011
Posts: 66
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 13:13
Its Okay. I have got it.

Regards
Vinni
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Aug 2012
Posts: 464
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.23
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 08:53
the 5-minute interval got me too :(
_________________

Impossible is nothing to God.

Director
Director
avatar
Status: Gonna rock this time!!!
Joined: 22 Jul 2012
Posts: 550
Location: India
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 10:02
Bunuel wrote:
carcass wrote:
Sorry Bunuel but our statement say: 9 Am to 5.55 PM so we have 12*8 = 96 + 11 (and not 12 because the museum sells tickets untill 5.55 PM) so = 107

Thi poin is still unclear for me. :wall :wall



From 9:00 in the morning to 5:55 in the afternoon, inclusive there are are 9*12=108 five-minute intervals, the same way as from 9:00 to 9:55 there are 12 five-minute intervals:
9:00
9:05
9:10
9:15
9:20
9:25
9:30
9:35
9:40
9:45
9:50
9:55

Hope it's clear.


Bunuel,
From 9:00 to 9: 55 there are 11 intervals.. not 12 .. what am I missing?
_________________

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 18514
Followers: 3195

Kudos [?]: 21377 [0], given: 2546

Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 10:28
Expert's post
Sachin9 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
carcass wrote:
Sorry Bunuel but our statement say: 9 Am to 5.55 PM so we have 12*8 = 96 + 11 (and not 12 because the museum sells tickets untill 5.55 PM) so = 107

Thi poin is still unclear for me. :wall :wall



From 9:00 in the morning to 5:55 in the afternoon, inclusive there are are 9*12=108 five-minute intervals, the same way as from 9:00 to 9:55 there are 12 five-minute intervals:
9:00
9:05
9:10
9:15
9:20
9:25
9:30
9:35
9:40
9:45
9:50
9:55

Hope it's clear.


Bunuel,
From 9:00 to 9: 55 there are 11 intervals.. not 12 .. what am I missing?


Check again:
1. 9:00
2. 9:05
3. 9:10
4. 9:15
5. 9:20
6. 9:25
7. 9:30
8. 9:35
9. 9:40
10. 9:45
11. 9:50
12. 9:55
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Gonna rock this time!!!
Joined: 22 Jul 2012
Posts: 550
Location: India
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 18:30
1
This post received
KUDOS
From 9 until 5:55 , we have 11 intervals..

9:00
1
9:05
2
9:10
3
9:15
4
9:20
5
9:25
6
9:30
7
9:35
8
9:40
9
9:45
10
9:50
11
9:55
_________________

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Expert Post
8 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4519
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1013

Kudos [?]: 4328 [8] , given: 161

Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 19:48
8
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Sachin9 wrote:
From 9 until 5:55 , we have 11 intervals..

9:00
1
9:05
2
9:10
3
9:15
4
9:20
5
9:25
6
9:30
7
9:35
8
9:40
9
9:45
10
9:50
11
9:55


Yes, we do but the tickets are not sold during the intervals; they are sold at 9:00 am, then at 9:05 am, then at 9:10 am etc...

Read the question stem again:
" a museum sold admission tickets to a group of 30 people every 5 minutes from 9:00 in the morning to 5:55 in the afternoon, inclusive."

Take an example.
What does this mean: "I will message you every 5 mins starting from 9:00 in the morning to 5:55 in the evening, inclusive"?
It means I will message at 9:00, at 9:05, at 9:10 and so on till 5:55.

It's exactly the same concept here. The museum sells tickets at 9:00, then at 9:05 etc. When you think of selling tickets, don't think of a long queue moving forward one person at a time, think of tons of people requesting for a ticket at the kiosks and the museum printing 30 tickets every 5 mins.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Director
Director
avatar
Status: Gonna rock this time!!!
Joined: 22 Jul 2012
Posts: 550
Location: India
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 04:59
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Sachin9 wrote:
From 9 until 5:55 , we have 11 intervals..

9:00
1
9:05
2
9:10
3
9:15
4
9:20
5
9:25
6
9:30
7
9:35
8
9:40
9
9:45
10
9:50
11
9:55


Yes, we do but the tickets are not sold during the intervals; they are sold at 9:00 am, then at 9:05 am, then at 9:10 am etc...

Read the question stem again:
" a museum sold admission tickets to a group of 30 people every 5 minutes from 9:00 in the morning to 5:55 in the afternoon, inclusive."

Take an example.
What does this mean: "I will message you every 5 mins starting from 9:00 in the morning to 5:55 in the evening, inclusive"?
It means I will message at 9:00, at 9:05, at 9:10 and so on till 5:55.

It's exactly the same concept here. The museum sells tickets at 9:00, then at 9:05 etc. When you think of selling tickets, don't think of a long queue moving forward one person at a time, think of tons of people requesting for a ticket at the kiosks and the museum printing 30 tickets every 5 mins.


you rock! I envy you! :wink:
_________________

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Feb 2011
Posts: 196
Schools: ABCD
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 78

GMAT Tests User
Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2013, 11:33
1
This post received
KUDOS
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Sachin9 wrote:
From 9 until 5:55 , we have 11 intervals..

9:00
1
9:05
2
9:10
3
9:15
4
9:20
5
9:25
6
9:30
7
9:35
8
9:40
9
9:45
10
9:50
11
9:55


Yes, we do but the tickets are not sold during the intervals; they are sold at 9:00 am, then at 9:05 am, then at 9:10 am etc...

Read the question stem again:
" a museum sold admission tickets to a group of 30 people every 5 minutes from 9:00 in the morning to 5:55 in the afternoon, inclusive."

Take an example.
What does this mean: "I will message you every 5 mins starting from 9:00 in the morning to 5:55 in the evening, inclusive"?
It means I will message at 9:00, at 9:05, at 9:10 and so on till 5:55.

It's exactly the same concept here. The museum sells tickets at 9:00, then at 9:05 etc. When you think of selling tickets, don't think of a long queue moving forward one person at a time, think of tons of people requesting for a ticket at the kiosks and the museum printing 30 tickets every 5 mins.


Karishma,
Do we have to assume that as soon as the clock ticks 9:00:00, 30 tickets are sold? That sounds bizarre. Realistically, I would think that 30 tickets will be sold between 9:00 and 9:05. Isn't it? Your above example of sending message(s) is different because a message can be sent at a particular time "x." However, sending 30 messages exactly at "x" moment doesn't sound realistic. Do we have to assume that the GMAT thinks that such a case is realistic? I am still not clear ...how will I distinguish between the two facts:-


fact a- tickets sold between 9:00 and 9:05
fact b- tickets sold at 9:00 and 9:05.

Please help?

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 380
Location: India
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2013, 19:58
Bunuel and Karishma,

The problem does not make it very clear which of the following is the case:

1. Sold 30 tickets starting at 9:00 and 30 tickets starting at 9:05 and so on
2. Sold 30 tickets between 9:00 and 9:05 and so on

I guess one would normally interpret what is said in the problem as meaning the second case. When you say every five minutes we assume it is the interval unlike when you say "every fifth minute" when you assume it is at that point in time.
_________________

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep
http://www.sravna.com/courses.php

Classroom Courses in Chennai

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Apr 2013
Posts: 214
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 40

Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2013, 20:37
The key word is "inclusive"

Just like there are three integers between two and four, inclusive (2,3,4), there are twelve five minute intervals between 9:00 and 9:55, inclusive.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4519
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1013

Kudos [?]: 4328 [1] , given: 161

Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2013, 20:42
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
voodoochild wrote:
Karishma,
Do we have to assume that as soon as the clock ticks 9:00:00, 30 tickets are sold? That sounds bizarre. Realistically, I would think that 30 tickets will be sold between 9:00 and 9:05. Isn't it? Your above example of sending message(s) is different because a message can be sent at a particular time "x." However, sending 30 messages exactly at "x" moment doesn't sound realistic. Do we have to assume that the GMAT thinks that such a case is realistic? I am still not clear ...how will I distinguish between the two facts:-


fact a- tickets sold between 9:00 and 9:05
fact b- tickets sold at 9:00 and 9:05.

Please help?

Thanks


It's not unrealistic at all. Think of a batch job - a machine takes first 30 requests and processes them together at some particular time. It could take a machine a few secs or a minute to spew out the 30 tickets.
But anyway, we don't have to assume that it must sell all the tickets at that instant. What we do know is that selling 30 tickets takes less than or maximum 5 mins since after 9:00, tickets will be sold at 9:05 again and so on. It's clear from the question that 30 tickets will be sold at 5:55 (whatever time it may take after that) since the word 'inclusive' is given in the question. I can understand a bit of confusion and it may take a few secs extra to understand the question. Please note that it is a GMAT Prep question (according to the tag) and hence it's official. I can only try to explain what the question setter might have imagined when he made this question.
Take solace in the fact that every live GMAT question is closely monitored and if it causes undue confusion, it is removed.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 380
Location: India
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2013, 20:56
dave785 wrote:
The key word is "inclusive"

Just like there are three integers between two and four, inclusive (2,3,4), there are twelve five minute intervals between 9:00 and 9:55, inclusive.


Dear Dave785,

That exactly is the source of confusion. When you say 30 tickets are sold every five minutes it suggests that interval should be taken but when you see the word "inclusive" it suggests that a point of time should be taken. A GMAT question should not give room for such an ambiguity.
_________________

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep
http://www.sravna.com/courses.php

Classroom Courses in Chennai

Re: For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets   [#permalink] 20 Apr 2013, 20:56
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 In 1985 the city s Fine Arts Museum sold 30,000 single-entry PUNEETSCHDV 2 29 Aug 2012, 09:05
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic A museum sold 30 tickets on Saturday. Some of the tickets BDSunDevil 5 11 Jun 2012, 07:14
A certain student sold exactly 40% of all the tickets sold AnkitK 3 15 Jun 2011, 10:26
It is characteristic of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, as macca 5 11 Sep 2005, 11:36
Art Museums..... perezhan 5 17 Feb 2005, 19:12
Display posts from previous: Sort by

For a certain art exhibit, a museum sold admission tickets

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 44 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.