Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 00:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For a local government to outlaw all strikes by its workers

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

For a local government to outlaw all strikes by its workers [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2005, 03:33
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

37% (03:01) correct 63% (02:02) wrong based on 131 sessions
For a local government to outlaw all strikes by its workers is a costly mistake, because all its labor disputes must then be settled by binding arbitration, without any negotiated public-sector labor settlements guiding the arbitrators. Strikes should be outlawed only for categories of public-sector workers for whose services no acceptable substitute exists.

The statements above best support which of the following conclusions?

(A) Where public-service workers are permitted to strike, contract negotiations with those workers are typically settled without a strike.

(B) Where strikes by all categories of pubic-sector workers are outlawed, no acceptable substitutes for the services provided by any of those workers are available.

(C) Binding arbitration tends to be more advantageous for public-service workers where it is the only available means of settling labor disputes with such workers.

(D) Most categories of public-sector workers have no counterparts in the private sector.

(E) A strike by workers in a local government is unlikely to be settled without help from an arbitrator.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2005, 08:25
This one is hard. My guess is C by process of elimination. I think the other ones either are out of scope or aren't necessarily supported by the information in the passage.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2005, 09:44
A covers only one aspect
B is also extreme.. Although it is mentioned in the argument but not for all categories....
C look good
D is out of scope
E also covers one aspect.

C it is..
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2005, 11:52
One more for C
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 0

For a local government to outlaw all strikes by its workers [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2005, 13:10
20. For a local government to outlaw all strikes by its workers is a costly mistake, because all its labor disputes must then be settled by binding arbitration, without any negotiated public-sector labor settlements guiding the arbitrators. Strikes should be outlawed only for categories of public-sector workers for whose services no acceptable substitute exists.
(A) Where public-service workers are permitted to strike, contract negotiations with those workers are typically settled without a strike.
(B) Where strikes by all categories of pubic-sector workers are outlawed, no acceptable substitutes for the services provided by any of those workers are available.
(C) Binding arbitration tends to be more advantageous for public-service workers where it is the only available means of settling labor disputes with such workers.
(D) Most categories of public-sector workers have no counterparts in the private sector.
(E) A strike by workers in a local government is unlikely to be settled without help from an arbitrator.

hey ya......

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2005, 16:43
I'm awful at these but I like C in this case.

The passage states that it would be costly for a local government to disallow the striking rights of public sector workers because there is no governmental entity involved in the binding arbitration process. This suggests that there is better representation on the public workers side creating an advantage in arbitration process.....please God be right :roll:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2005, 19:04
I vote for C.

A - Out of scope. Contract negotiations??
B - Incorrect. This only a suggestion in the argument.
C - Costly mistake for local goverment.Hence correct.
D - Incorrect. Argument is not talking og the public sector
E - Incorrect. Assumes that the local goverment has already outlawed the strikes.

What is the OA??
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2005, 19:23
Are we going to get an answer for this?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2005, 22:25
a) Out of scope
b)
c) No
d) Out of scope
e) Out of scope

Best answer is B. The stimulus concludes that strikes should be outlawed for public sector workers who have no substitutes. The extension to this conclusion is B.
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck'08

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2005, 22:30
Between A and B for me
I would go for A
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck'08

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2005, 22:31
double post..sorry
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2005, 01:21
I would go for C
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2005, 08:50
C

"Costly Mistake" is the key here. It means that the other party benefits.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2005, 21:19
good job once again OA is C.

hey ya......

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

For a local government to outlaw all strikes by its workers [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2006, 06:22
For a local government to outlaw all strikes by its workers is a costly mistake, because all its labor disputes must then be settled by binding arbitration, without any negotiated public-sector labor settlements guiding the arbitrators. Strikes should be outlawed only for categories of public-sector workers for whose services no acceptable substitute exists.

Please explain your answer.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2006, 10:15
Is it A? Really confusing! :shock:
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2006, 10:36
I pick E.

My reasoning is that statement concludes that strikes should only be outlawed for public sector workers. If strikes are outlawed for public sector workers, then all labor disputes are settled by outside arbitrators.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2006, 10:43
I’m leaning towards C or B. But I’ll go with C.

A – nothing is stated to support this. Instead, it states that only when strikes are banned must workers negotiate via binding arbitration (a form of court, I guess).

B – Supported by the last sentence. Could be this one as well… Not sure.

C – The first sentence explains that outlawing strikes is a costly mistake for the reason that the dispute would then have to be settled by binding arbitration. So C can be inferred from this, i.e. binding arbitration is advantageous when it’s the only available means of settling the dispute.

D – Private sector is irrelevant here.

E – workers in local government is out of scope.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2006, 10:57
I will go for B.

The evidence provided in the text does not talk about "advatages".
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Re: CR strike [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2006, 11:01
C. becasue it is the only choice that supports the conclusion. Rest all either donot support or related to the conclusion.
Re: CR strike   [#permalink] 05 Apr 2006, 11:01