Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 09:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For a set of 3 numbers, assuming there is only one mode,

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 May 2009
Posts: 204
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
For a set of 3 numbers, assuming there is only one mode, [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2009, 21:36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (01:24) wrong based on 5 sessions
For a set of 3 numbers, assuming there is only one mode, does the mode equal the range?

(1) The median equals the range
(2) The largest number is twice the value of the smallest number
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

GMAT is not a game for losers , and the moment u decide to appear for it u are no more a loser........ITS A BRAIN GAME

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Aug 2009
Posts: 290
Location: India
Concentration: General Management
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: For a set of 3 numbers, assuming there is only one mode, [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2009, 00:17
xcusemeplz2009 wrote:
For a set of 3 numbers, assuming there is only one mode, does the mode equal the range?
1 The median equals the range
2 The largest number is twice the value of the smallest number

A) Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.
B) Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.
C) BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient.
D) EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.
E) Statement (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient to answer the question asked, and additional data are needed.


The question stem says " assuming there is only one mode" so we need to consider sets where Mode is well defined [ I hope my understanding is correct]
A
stmnt 1 - median is equal to range
lets consider a set { 0,2,2}. here we have median is equal to range. mode[2] is also equal to range
lets consider the set { 2,2,4} here we median is equal to range but mode is equal to range. hence suff

stmnt2 - lets consider a set { 2,2,4}. here 4 = 2* 2(smallest number) and mode[2] is equal to range[2].
lets consider a set { 5,10,10} here 10 = 2* 5(smallest number) but mode[10] is not equal to range[5].
hence insuff

PS: What is the source of this question?
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 19050
Followers: 3370

Kudos [?]: 24524 [0], given: 2680

Re: For a set of 3 numbers, assuming there is only one mode, [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2009, 01:05
Expert's post
kp1811 wrote:
The question stem says " assuming there is only one mode" so we need to consider sets where Mode is well defined [ I hope my understanding is correct]
A
stmnt 1 - median is equal to range
lets consider a set { 0,2,2}. here we have median is equal to range. mode[2] is also equal to range
lets consider the set { 2,2,4} here we median is equal to range but mode is equal to range. hence suff

stmnt2 - lets consider a set { 2,2,4}. here 4 = 2* 2(smallest number) and mode[2] is equal to range[2].
lets consider a set { 5,10,10} here 10 = 2* 5(smallest number) but mode[10] is not equal to range[5].
hence insuff

PS: What is the source of this question?


I think that above solution is correct and the answer is A, though there is one case missing.

Set can be of a form:
A. {X,Y,Y}
B. {X,X,Y}
OR
C. {XXX}

Basically telling us that there is only one mode, stem is saying that we do not have three distinct numbers in the set.

(1) The median equals the range:

A. {X,Y,Y} --> Y=Y-X --> X=0 --> Set: {0,Y,Y}. Mode=Y, Range=Y-0=Y, --> Y=Y. True.
B. {X,X,Y} --> X=Y-X --> 2X=Y --> Set: {X,X,2X}. Mode=X, Range=2X-X=X --> X=X. True.
C. {XXX} --> X=X-X --> X=0 --> Set: {0,0,0}. Mode=0, Range=0 --> 0=0. True.

Sufficient.

(2) The largest number is twice the value of the smallest number:

A. {X,Y,Y} --> Y=2X --> Set: {X,2X,2X}. Mode=2X, Range=2X-X=X, --> 2X equals to X only if X=0 (set: {0,0,0}), but we don't know that. Not always true. For example we can have set: {1,2,2} Mode=2, but range=1, 2#1.
B. {X,X,Y} --> Y=2X --> Set: {X,X,2X}. Mode=X, Range=2X-X=X --> X=X. True.
C. {XXX} --> X=2X --> X=0 --> Set: {0,0,0}. Mode=0, Range=0 --> 0=0. True.

Two different answers (cases B and C always true, A not always).

Not sufficient.

Answer: A.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 May 2009
Posts: 204
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: For a set of 3 numbers, assuming there is only one mode, [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2009, 01:21
thanks bunuel for the soln..
_________________

GMAT is not a game for losers , and the moment u decide to appear for it u are no more a loser........ITS A BRAIN GAME

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 May 2009
Posts: 204
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: For a set of 3 numbers, assuming there is only one mode, [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2009, 01:25
kp1811 wrote:
xcusemeplz2009 wrote:
For a set of 3 numbers, assuming there is only one mode, does the mode equal the range?
1 The median equals the range
2 The largest number is twice the value of the smallest number

A) Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.
B) Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.
C) BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient.
D) EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.
E) Statement (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient to answer the question asked, and additional data are needed.


The question stem says " assuming there is only one mode" so we need to consider sets where Mode is well defined [ I hope my understanding is correct]
A
stmnt 1 - median is equal to range
lets consider a set { 0,2,2}. here we have median is equal to range. mode[2] is also equal to range
lets consider the set { 2,2,4} here we median is equal to range but mode is equal to range. hence suff

stmnt2 - lets consider a set { 2,2,4}. here 4 = 2* 2(smallest number) and mode[2] is equal to range[2].
lets consider a set { 5,10,10} here 10 = 2* 5(smallest number) but mode[10] is not equal to range[5].
hence insuff

PS: What is the source of this question?

thanks for the expln
OA is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A


source-http://www.takegmat.com/
_________________

GMAT is not a game for losers , and the moment u decide to appear for it u are no more a loser........ITS A BRAIN GAME

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2004
Posts: 618
Location: PA
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: For a set of 3 numbers, assuming there is only one mode, [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2010, 06:04
For a set of 3 numbers, assuming there is only one mode, does the mode equal the range?


s1 The median equals the range

s2 The largest number is twice the value of the smallest number


can some one list all the properties of range / SD / median

for EG: SD can never be negative or SD = 0 if all memberes of sets are =

thanks
_________________

If the Q jogged your mind do Kudos me : )

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 19050
Followers: 3370

Kudos [?]: 24524 [0], given: 2680

Re: For a set of 3 numbers, assuming there is only one mode, [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2010, 06:35
Expert's post
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Apply - Last Chance
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Joined: 17 Jul 2010
Posts: 693
Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: For a set of 3 numbers, assuming there is only one mode, [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2010, 11:17
Bunuel
Can you please explain this about mode? I believe it is the number that occurs most frequently in the set? So in this case if all 3 numbers were different then would the mode be 0? Mode 1 means a number repeats more than once? Can there be mode 2 or 3?

Posted from my mobile device Image
_________________

Consider kudos, they are good for health

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 19050
Followers: 3370

Kudos [?]: 24524 [0], given: 2680

Re: For a set of 3 numbers, assuming there is only one mode, [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2010, 12:18
Expert's post
mainhoon wrote:
Bunuel
Can you please explain this about mode? I believe it is the number that occurs most frequently in the set? So in this case if all 3 numbers were different then would the mode be 0? Mode 1 means a number repeats more than once? Can there be mode 2 or 3?

Posted from my mobile device Image


The mode is the number that occurs the most frequently in a data set. For example mode of the set {2, 3, 4, 4} is 4.

Set can have more than one mode, for example set {2, 2, 3, 3, 5} has 2 modes 2 and 3.

If every number in the set occurs an equal number of times, then the set has no mode. For example set {1, 2, 3} has no mode.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

GMAT Instructor
avatar
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 967
Location: Toronto
Followers: 253

Kudos [?]: 653 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: For a set of 3 numbers, assuming there is only one mode, [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2010, 13:26
xcusemeplz2009 wrote:
For a set of 3 numbers, assuming there is only one mode, does the mode equal the range?
1 The median equals the range
2 The largest number is twice the value of the smallest number


We don't really need to consider cases for Statement 1. We have one mode, so at least two of our elements are equal. So our set is {a, a, b}, where b could be anything. Whether b is greater than, equal to, or less than a, a is going to be the median, so median=mode. If from S1, median=range, then mode=range.

S2 is not sufficient, as seen above; your set can be {a, a, 2a} or {a, 2a, 2a}, and the answer might be yes or no respectively.
_________________

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Re: For a set of 3 numbers, assuming there is only one mode,   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2010, 13:26
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 For a set of 3 numbers, assuming there is only one mode, AnkitK 3 23 Jul 2011, 01:29
2 set containng only one element tejal777 3 09 Oct 2009, 00:19
For diagram- assume a number line shaded from -5 through 3 beatgmat 2 02 Sep 2007, 19:05
What will be the mode of following set ( 1, 2, 3, 4,5) 2. davvy75 3 26 Jul 2006, 00:34
Set S =(-6,-5,-3,-2,-1) Set T=(-2,-1,0,1,2,3) One number is krishrads 5 27 May 2005, 06:39
Display posts from previous: Sort by

For a set of 3 numbers, assuming there is only one mode,

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.