Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 07:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For a television program about astrology, investigators went

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
For a television program about astrology, investigators went [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2004, 19:09
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
For a television program about astrology, investigators went into the street and found twenty volunteers born under the sign of Gemini who were willing to be interviewed on the program and to take a personality test. The test confirmed the investigators¡¯ personal impressions that each of the volunteers was more sociable and extroverted than people are on average. This modest investigation thus supports the claim that one¡¯s astrological birth sign influence one¡¯s personality.

Which one of the following, if true, indicates the most serious flaw in the method used by the investigators?

(A) The personality test was not administrated or scored personally by the investigators.

(B) People born under astrological signs other than Gemini have been judged by astrologers to be much less sociable than those born under Gemini.

(C) The personal impressions the investigators first formed of other people have tended to be confirmed by the investigators¡¯ later experience of those people.

(D) There is not likely to be a greater proportion of people born under the sign of Gemini on the street than in the population as a whole.

(E) People who are not sociable and extroverted are not likely to agree to participate in such an investigation.

Photovoltaic power plants produce electricity from sunlight. As a result of astonishing recent technological advances, the cost of producing electric power at photovoltaic power plants, allowing for both construction and operating costs, is one-tenth of what it was 20 years ago, whereas the corresponding cost for traditional plants, which burn fossil fuels, has increased. Thus, photovoltaic power plants offer a less expensive approach to meeting demand for electricity than do traditional power plants.

The conclusion of the argument is properly drawn if which one of the following is assumed?

(A) The cost of producing electric power at traditional plants has increased over the past 20 years.

(B) Twenty years ago, traditional power plants were producing 10 times more electric power than were photovoltaic plants.

(C) None of the recent technological advances in producing electric power at photovoltaic plants can be applied to producing power at traditional plants.

(D) Twenty years ago, the cost of producing electric power at photovoltaic plants was less than 20 times the cost of producing power at traditional plants.

(E) The cost of producing electric power at photovoltaic plants is expected to decrease further, while the cost of producing power at traditional plants is not expected to decrease.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2004, 19:44
Please separate topics in the future to ease discussion
My answers are 1-E and 2-C
1-
A) we are not interested in this
B) this actually strengthens the conclusion
C) what happens in the future is out of scope and does not pertain to the potential flaw in the current research
D) we are not interested in the sample's representativeness
E) if this is true, then how can the investigators say that other signs are less sociable than Geminis? His research would be then be biased by not including any of the other less sociable/extroverted persons

2-
A) this is explicitly mentioned in the text
B) we are not interested by the amount of electricity produced. We want to know it's viability in terms of cost
C) let's negate this. Then if technology can be transfered from photovoltaic plants to traditional ones, how can the cost of traditional plants have increased while that of photovoltaic ones decreased? C needs to hold true
D) this is a tricky one and I almost fell for it. Let's say that cost of traditional plants 20yrs ago = 1$ and cost of photovoltaic plants was 20$. Then cost of photovoltaic plant today = 20$ * 1/10 = 2$. If cost of traditional plant today is 1.50$, then this needs not be true
E) what happens in the future we are not interested in

Best Regards,

Paul

Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 72313

[#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2004, 22:45
Answers are 1. E
2.D
After posting the questions, I managed to figure out E for 1 ..but still cannot understand how answer for second can be D.
I tried calculating by assuming numbers ..but still it's unclear that D can be absolutely true.
By the way, these CR's are from LSAT material.
I took two CR exercises from LSAT materials.. I had to do 25 qns in 35 min.. I got around 85% correct in alloted time( 80% in the first one,90% in second test). Contrary to what I heard, I dont think CR was very tough here. Moroever, tougher questions were from the last 5-8 questions or so..
Also, I found that some of the question types are different from questiONS TYPES IN gmat. Iam not sure how much I should practice from these.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2004, 22:47
It was me who posted as a guest. Sorrry for the confusion.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2004, 04:12
I totally disagree with D as answer for second question. If question was "whereas the corresponding cost for traditional plants, which burn fossil fuels, has more than doubled", then, D would have been true because, according to my example, cost of traditional plants would have been more than 2$. Otherwise, my given example disproves D

Best Regards,

Paul

SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2004, 05:56
I concur with Paul on this.
What is the source of this question. ?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2004, 19:27
1. E is definitely correct.
2. darn, this is confusing. this is what I resorted...

20 yrs ago -
power plant = Y
photo = X

states: X<20Y from 'D'

present:
power: increased by some amount >Y for sure
photo: X/10

or, X/10 < 2Y ---this doesn't solve any purpose and lead to a conclusion that D may not be true. Thus D can't be the answer.

Chose C.
  [#permalink] 10 Jun 2004, 19:27