Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 22:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For a trade embargo against a particular country to succeed,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
For a trade embargo against a particular country to succeed, [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2012, 11:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

54% (02:07) correct 46% (01:29) wrong based on 134 sessions
For a trade embargo against a particular country to succeed, a high degree of both international accord and ability to prevent goods from entering or leaving that country must be sustained. A total blockade of Patria's ports is necessary to an embargo, but such an action would be likely to cause international discord over the embargo.
The claims above, if true, most strongly support which of the following conclusions?
(A) The balance of opinion is likely to favor Patria in the event of a blockade.
(B) As long as international opinion is unanimously against Patria, a trade embargo is likely to succeed.
(C) A naval blockade of Patria's ports would ensure that no goods enter or leave Patria.
(D) Any trade embargo against Patria would be likely to fail at some time.
(E) For a blockade of Patria's ports to be successful, international opinion must be unanimous.

whats wrong with option B.
If international opinion is in favour of blockade of patrias ports , then no damage for international discord and trade embargo is likely to succeed
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 670 Q42 V40
GPA: 3.47
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: inference [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2012, 11:30
Quote:
For a trade embargo against a particular country to succeed, a high degree of both international accord and ability to prevent goods from entering or leaving that country must be sustained. A total blockade of Patria's ports is necessary to an embargo, but such an action would be likely to cause international discord over the embargo.
The claims above, if true, most strongly support which of the following conclusions?
(A) The balance of opinion is likely to favor Patria in the event of a blockade.
(B) As long as international opinion is unanimously against Patria, a trade embargo is likely to succeed.
(C) A naval blockade of Patria's ports would ensure that no goods enter or leave Patria.
(E) For a blockade of Patria's ports to be successful, international opinion must be unanimous.

If international opinion is in favour of blockade of patrias ports , then no damage for international discord and trade embargo is likely to succeed

I liked D because I think B & E are similarly worded and are too extreme - unanimous seems to be too strong
A & C seem irrelevant.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 29

Re: inference [#permalink] New post 29 Feb 2012, 10:50
D, for sure.

Conclusion-. A total blockade of Patria's ports is necessary to an embargo, but such an action would be likely to cause international discord over the embargo.

Hence we have to find an answer choice that strengthens the conclusion i.e why the embargo is likely to fail or cause discord.Only option D helps to explain this.

Option B does not help to strengthen the conclusion. It just restates a fact in the argument.

Hope my explanations clears your doubt.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: inference [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2012, 07:48
Are you sure that last sentence "A total blockade of Patria's ports is necessary to an embargo, but such an action would be likely to cause international discord over the embargo" is conclusion. I think all the sentences in the argument are just premises.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 41

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: inference [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2012, 22:14
TomB wrote:

This is conclusion type. Embargo need International Accord (1)+ Ability to prevent good entering or leaving (2)
Patria's port have only (2). Choice B is wrong because whether the discord unanimous or not, this thing does not affect to the (1). So, its wrong.

Because Partria's port lack of (2), so its embargo possibly fails

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V19
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: inference [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2012, 22:59
Question Stem : we need to find the conclusion drawn from above premises and last line is main premise to draw the conclusion that every embargo is likely to fail at some point of time.

D

The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V32
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 4

Re: For a trade embargo against a particular country to succeed, [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2012, 01:02
This post received
KUDOS
TomB wrote:

Question Stem
Inference Question. So the answer MUST BE TRUE.

Argument

My Understanding of the Argument
Successful Trade Embargo needs both 1) high degree of international accord 2) ability to prevent goods from entering or leaving that country.
BUT blocking Paricia's ports is likely to cause international discord over the embargo.

Pre-thinking
Embargo may not be successful in Patricia

Answer Choices
(A) The balance of opinion is likely to favor Patria in the event of a blockade
INCORRECT ANSWER - Whether the balance of opinion will favor or not favor is not discussed in the passage. Out of Scope

INCORRECT ANSWER - Two conditions are necessary for an embargo. In this option, nothing about the condition 2 (ability to prevent goods from entering or leaving that country) is mentioned

INCORRECT ANSWER - Not Sure if sea is only way in which goods enter Patricia . Goods could enter the country through other routes as well. We can not say that this is true.

CORRECT ANSWER - As the trade blockade would like to cause international discord (which is condition 1 for an embargo to be successful), there is a likelihood that the embargo will fail at some point in time

INCORRECT ANSWER - "unanimous" - nothing mentioned. May be a majority would do. The passage does not lead us to believe this option

Regards,
gmatsuperstar

VP
VP
Followers: 210

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: For a trade embargo against a particular country to succeed, [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2013, 20:13
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: For a trade embargo against a particular country to succeed,   [#permalink] 23 Nov 2013, 20:13