Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 11:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For all his professed disdain of such activities, Auden was

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 881
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
For all his professed disdain of such activities, Auden was [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2007, 10:59
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
302. For all his professed disdain of such activities, Auden was an inveterate literary gossip.
(A) For all his professed disdain of such activities
(B) Having always professed disdain for such activities
(C) All such activities were, he professed, disdained, and
(D) Professing that all such activities were disdained
(E) In spite of professions of disdaining all such activities


I got this one wrong, because I did not understand the meaning. For example, if Auden is the name of a person, how can it be gossip?

Would appreciate some clarifications as to the meaning of the sentence.

Last edited by seofah on 21 Jul 2007, 08:30, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2004
Posts: 1474
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: 1000 SC #302 [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2007, 11:04
botirvoy wrote:
302. For all his professed disdain of such activities, Auden was an inveterate literary gossip.
(A) For all his professed disdain of such activities
(B) Having always professed disdain for such activities
(C) All such activities were, he professed, disdained, and
(D) Professing that all such activities were disdained
(E) In spite of professions of disdaining all such activities


I got this one wrong, because I did not understand the meaning. For example, if Auden is the name of a person, how can it be gossip?

Would appreciate some clarifications as to the meaning of the sentence.


It means Auden used to gossip. Here gossip is used as an adjective descibing Auden - not as a noun (gossip).
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Feb 2006
Posts: 908
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 1000 SC #302 [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2007, 11:22
botirvoy wrote:
302. For all his professed disdain of such activities, Auden was an inveterate literary gossip.
(A) For all his professed disdain of such activities
(B) Having always professed disdain for such activities
(C) All such activities were, he professed, disdained, and
(D) Professing that all such activities were disdained
(E) In spite of professions of disdaining all such activities


I got this one wrong, because I did not understand the meaning. For example, if Auden is the name of a person, how can it be gossip?

Would appreciate some clarifications as to the meaning of the sentence.


I take A on this one.

Auden could be a matter of discussion. therefore because of all his professed disdain of such activities, Auden was a matter of gossip among literary people.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 881
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2007, 08:32
Thanks for explanations!

OA is A.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2770
Location: New York City
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: 1000 SC #302 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2007, 09:35
dwivedys wrote:
botirvoy wrote:
302. For all his professed disdain of such activities, Auden was an inveterate literary gossip.
(A) For all his professed disdain of such activities
(B) Having always professed disdain for such activities
(C) All such activities were, he professed, disdained, and
(D) Professing that all such activities were disdained
(E) In spite of professions of disdaining all such activities


I got this one wrong, because I did not understand the meaning. For example, if Auden is the name of a person, how can it be gossip?

Would appreciate some clarifications as to the meaning of the sentence.


It means Auden used to gossip. Here gossip is used as an adjective descibing Auden - not as a noun (gossip).


I disagree.

inveterate
is an adjective and literary gossip is a noun phrase.
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2770
Location: New York City
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 220 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2007, 09:50
1
This post received
KUDOS
For all means despite.

There is an element of contrast in this sentence.

Despite X, Y occurred.
Despite his professed disdain of such activities, Auden was an inveterate literary gossip.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2004
Posts: 1474
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: 1000 SC #302 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2007, 10:28
bmwhype2 wrote:
dwivedys wrote:
botirvoy wrote:
302. For all his professed disdain of such activities, Auden was an inveterate literary gossip.
(A) For all his professed disdain of such activities
(B) Having always professed disdain for such activities
(C) All such activities were, he professed, disdained, and
(D) Professing that all such activities were disdained
(E) In spite of professions of disdaining all such activities


I got this one wrong, because I did not understand the meaning. For example, if Auden is the name of a person, how can it be gossip?

Would appreciate some clarifications as to the meaning of the sentence.


It means Auden used to gossip. Here gossip is used as an adjective descibing Auden - not as a noun (gossip).


I disagree.

inveterate
is an adjective and literary gossip is a noun phrase.


yup...thanks for pointing that out. Literary gossip is a noun phrase indeed.

Literary gossip is a predicate nominative that stands in for the subject Auden.
Re: 1000 SC #302   [#permalink] 31 Jul 2007, 10:28
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
10 Experts publish their posts in the topic For all his professed disdain of such activities, Auden was jade3 30 17 Nov 2009, 01:41
For all his professed disdain of such activities, Auden was lordw 2 04 Aug 2008, 08:31
For all his professed disdain of such activities, Auden was nakib77 6 29 Oct 2005, 05:04
1 For all his professed disdain of such activities, Auden was Antmavel 7 28 Sep 2005, 20:58
3) For all his professed disdain of such activities, Auden pmohu 2 10 Sep 2004, 03:51
Display posts from previous: Sort by

For all his professed disdain of such activities, Auden was

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.