Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2015, 14:52
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For all integers n, the function f is defined by f(n)=a^n

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

For all integers n, the function f is defined by f(n)=a^n [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2009, 09:26
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (01:54) correct 32% (00:55) wrong based on 159 sessions
For all integers n, the function f is defined by \(f(n) = a^n\), where \(a\) is a constant. What is the value of f(1) ?

(1) f(2) = 100
(2) f(3) = –1,000

OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: for-all-integers-n-the-function-f-is-defined-by-f-n-97735.html
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 116 [1] , given: 15

Re: For all integers n, the function f is defined by f(n)=a^n [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2009, 10:12
This post received
KUDOS
square root of any number can be either positive or negative, but cube root of any number will always have the same sign as the number itself.

stmt 1 only gives us the absolute value of a, but not the sign
Stmt 2 alone gives us both, the value and sign, ie a = -10

So B
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: For all integers n, the function f is defined by f(n)=a^n [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2009, 12:46
nice and simple explanation right off the bat. thanks
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 83

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: For all integers n, the function f is defined by f(n)=a^n [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2015, 11:14
AT FIRST I GOT IT ALL WRONG !!! :shock: square-root will yield two possible values
1) f(2)=100=a^2
so a=+/_ sqrt 50 , Insufficient because two values are possible.

2) a^3=-1000
a=-10 , Sufficient

Hence the answer is B

gmatraj wrote:
For all integers n, the function f is defined by \(f(n) = a^n\), where \(a\) is a constant. What is the value of f(1) ?

(1) f(2) = 100
(2) f(3) = –1,000

Official Guide 12 Question

GMAT Official Guide 12

Question: 36
Page: 276
Difficulty: 600

Find All Official Guide Questions

Video Explanations:

"Arise, Awake and Stop not till the goal is reached"

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Followers: 131

Kudos [?]: 835 [0], given: 53

Re: For all integers n, the function f is defined by f(n)=a^n [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2015, 16:33
Expert's post
Hi All,

The concept of "squared terms" is something you'll see repeatedly in the Quant section of the GMAT. Since math rules don't change, part of your practice should be based on learning how to "respond" to a piece of information when it shows up in a question. When I see ANY exponents, I immediately think of the handful of exponent rules that they GMAT COULD test me on. When I see a squared term, I immediately think "there's MORE than one answer." In this way, before I start doing any of the *real* work that is required to answer the question, I have the idea in mind (and I can jot it down on my pad) so I won't miss that question for a silly reason.

During your studies, you're not just trying to answer an individual question correctly, you should also be trying to build up your memory, pattern-matching ability, etc. so that when those same patterns occur again, you'll be able to answer the question correctly (and likely faster).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Official Guide 2016 Question Breakdown:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/empowergmat-blog-198415.html#p1527977

Rich Cohen
Rich.C@empowergmat.com
http://www.empowergmat.com

GMAT Club Verified Reviews for EMPOWERgmat & Special Discount

EMPOWERgmat Podcast - A Wild Secret About The GMAT Algorithm

Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 4576

Kudos [?]: 47178 [0], given: 7108

Re: For all integers n, the function f is defined by f(n)=a^n [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2015, 04:42
Expert's post
For all integers n, the function f is defined by f (n) = a^n, where a is a constant. What is the value of f (1)?

\(f(1)=a^1=a\), so basically the question is: what is the value of \(a\)?

(1) f(2) = 100 --> \(f(2)=100=a^2\) --> \(a=10\) or \(a=-10\). Two answers, not sufficient.

(2) f(3) = -1,000 --> --> \(f(3)=-1,000=a^3\) --> only one solution: \(a=-10\). Sufficient.

Answer: B.

OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: for-all-integers-n-the-function-f-is-defined-by-f-n-97735.html

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis ; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) ; 12. Tricky questions from previous years.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Re: For all integers n, the function f is defined by f(n)=a^n   [#permalink] 02 Jan 2015, 04:42