Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 05:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2010, 23:34
ohh...sorry for the first line guys...I jst saw the last post of the first page...:)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 06:20
i wrote my MGMAT diagnostic - got 30 in Verbal...
i am done with OG 12, doing OG 10 now.
just started with RC 99 and SC grail..

for me the problem is timing... wen i see the time during CAT, i panic and guess and result in low scores..

while practicing , i get around 90% in OG 12 and 10 RC passages.
CR i need to improve.. i get around 75% correct. but exam tension makes me get more wrong i feel..

gurpeet n others,

Please let me know how to improve timing and CAT strategies to improve my verbal score in timed conditions.
i will be taking my exam in Dec end.. and i have around 6 hrs /day on weekdays..
thanx in advance...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 28

Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 06:30
Hi there,
How are you doing? I took the GMATPrep today and got V34:
- RC: 11 correct/ 13 Q
- CR: 5 correct/ 11 Q
- SC: 12 correct/ 17 Q

CR is still my weakness, actually. Following your advice, I re-read CR PowerScore and studied the CR Guide written by Whiplash (this document really helped). The incorrect answers seemed to decrease, but obviously I need to improve CR so that the V score can rise to 35 or 36 :D.

I will retake on 11/29. I will try to focus on V in the coming week, especially CR and SC. Could you suggest the strategy when there's not much time left? Which material should I use to improve CR?

There can be Miracles when you believe

Manager
Manager

Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 06:46
srivicool wrote:

for me the problem is timing... wen i see the time during CAT, i panic and guess and result in low scores..

CR i need to improve.. i get around 75% correct. but exam tension makes me get more wrong i feel..

gurpeet n others,

Please let me know how to improve timing and CAT strategies to improve my verbal score in timed conditions.
i will be taking my exam in Dec end.. and i have around 6 hrs /day on weekdays..
thanx in advance...

Obviously, the "enemy" is not GMAT, but YOURSELF :P. Don't get panic.
Actually, there is a huge difference between practising on papers and taking the CAT. Everyone has timing problems, the only way is to practise and practise, then you will have a sense of how much time you will need to spend on 1 problem, and when you will have to make educated guess and move on. I myself have read many timing strategies posted by high-score test takers, then I will find which best works for me. During my practise, I used GMAT Timer gmat-timer-56014.html created by Walker and found that this stuff really helped. Well, no special strategy, just practise :D

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 101

GMAT Tests User
Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2010, 06:59
good one, i am in
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2010, 07:42
windofchange wrote:
srivicool wrote:

gurpeet n others,

thanx in advance...

Obviously, the "enemy" is not GMAT, but YOURSELF :P. Don't get panic.
Actually, there is a huge difference between practising on papers and taking the CAT. Everyone has timing problems, the only way is to practise and practise, then you will have a sense of how much time you will need to spend on 1 problem, and when you will have to make educated guess and move on. I myself have read many timing strategies posted by high-score test takers, then I will find which best works for me. During my practise, I used GMAT Timer gmat-timer-56014.html created by Walker and found that this stuff really helped. Well, no special strategy, just practise :D

thanx for sharing the timer... i will practice more CATs..
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 15

Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2010, 12:26
Could you recommend any GMAT practice tests (full, real score based test)?
I have done GMAT prep.. (from MBA com), and GMAT POWERPREP... since i have done thgem for several times, i remember all the topics and answers, thus can't see any improvement... Can i do ANYTHING ELSE?

thanks
Intern
Intern

Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2010, 12:50
I have done GMAT prep.. (from MBA com), and GMAT POWERPREP... since i have done thgem for several times, i remember all the topics and answers, thus can't see any improvement... Can i do ANYTHING ELSE?

thanks
Intern
Intern

Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2010, 12:53

thanks
Intern
Intern
WE 1: Business Development Manger
WE 2: Assistant Manager-Carbon Trading
WE 3: Manager-Carbon Trading

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 08:02
Hey guys I am having a hrad time too with verbal.I score constanly bad on verbal sections I did kaplan test and scored 530 with V23 and q 34.I need help if someone can explain how do I improve on RC and Sc my weakest part on GMAT verbal.I have read Manhattan SC guide and Have done OG 10 and 12 but no help till know .Can someone give me some tips my exam is scheduled next month and I am very nervous.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 101

GMAT Tests User
Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 08:12
rite2deepti wrote:
Hey guys I am having a hrad time too with verbal.I score constanly bad on verbal sections I did kaplan test and scored 530 with V23 and q 34.I need help if someone can explain how do I improve on RC and Sc my weakest part on GMAT verbal.I have read Manhattan SC guide and Have done OG 10 and 12 but no help till know .Can someone give me some tips my exam is scheduled next month and I am very nervous.

for rc go through rhymes strategy i followed rhymes & found improvement. for s.c refer aristotle along with manhattan s.c.
i think you are making mistake same like me, quality is more important then quantity go through basics & you will find improvement
Manager
Manager

Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 09:30
natato wrote:

thanks

Many test takers agree that Quality is MUCH more IMPORTANT than the Quantity. Trying to take as many practice tests as possible without knowing why you got wrong doesn't help. One of the learning methods is to learn from our own mistakes. You should keep track of your errors by maintaining the error log or by creating your own notes and you should usually revise your mistakes.

When you take the GMATPrep, google the incorrect answers in the Internet. It often shows the link to ManhattanGMAT, BeatTheGMAT or GMATClub. In MGMAT, the questions are clearly explained by the experts, who help you a lot to learn new concepts and especially to understand why you got wrong. If you have time, try to google ALL the answers, just make sure that you did not get 1 problem right by chance and that you truly know the solution to that problem.

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 36

Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 11:14
I am not able to improve my RC
also anyone can improve SC just Practice ,practice and more practice also remember your previous mistake and don't repeat them...

I will give a Fight till the End

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."
- Bernard Edmonds

A person who is afraid of Failure can never succeed -- Amneet Padda

Don't Forget to give the KUDOS

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 36

Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 11:16
Manhattan tests and GMAT club tests are a really good you can try them....

I will give a Fight till the End

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."
- Bernard Edmonds

A person who is afraid of Failure can never succeed -- Amneet Padda

Don't Forget to give the KUDOS

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 2 IT
WE 2: 4 Software Analyst

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 18:02
RC99 has a wide array of passages from low/med/high difficulty, not a bad source for some practice.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth, Columbia, Kellogg,INSEAD, LBS
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 1

Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 06:19
gtr022001 wrote:
RC99 has a wide array of passages from low/med/high difficulty, not a bad source for some practice.

+1

RC99 is an excellent book.

I can personally vouch for its effectiveness

Rgds

My 760 debrief

Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 329

Kudos [?]: 1336 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 13:42
Unorthodox tip: Buckle up and buy the Aristotle Prep SC Grail. Read through that first and then go through MGMAT SC where you think that the Grail lacks. Especially for non-native speakers, I think that this book offers just the right amount of grammar you need to know and categorizes the sentence errors into overall topics and then groups them as "Ways you can be tested on this error".

Personally, this book helped me go from a 39-40 on the Verbal section in MGMAT to a 47 in the GMAT Prep. Of course, I haven't actually taken the GMAT yet and won't be doing that for a while, but I definitely felt that it was a good resource. If you cannot afford to spend more money on books, get the free version of the SC document available on the Manhattan Review website. It's like 100 pages of information presented in a crisp manner. It might do a lot of you some good :)
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 1.3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2010, 11:17
hi guys ,im having trouble with cr although my accuracy seems good around 75-85% i always take more than 2mns /question,how should i improve.Also,i purchased manhattan cr as i couldnt find powerscore cr in shops,is manhattan cr sufficient to improve my cr timing strategy
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 175

Kudos [?]: 890 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2010, 22:25
Just to update you guys:

670 Q49 V31 is my official Gmat-score.

I would definitely retake after a long break.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, HEC, Said
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2010, 22:48
Congrats Gurpreet It is good score. would like to hear from you regarding your experience of actual GMAT.

Definitely you can improve upon this wish you all the best for the same.
Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight   [#permalink] 25 Nov 2010, 22:48