Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 19:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD, RSM, HEC, St. Gallen, IF, IESE
WE 1: Finance 6 years
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2010, 08:28
Hello Guys - I'm new to this forum and want to share my experience till date.

I started my GMAT preparation on 20th, December 2010. I got all the necessary MGMAT/Powerscore books required to conquer GMAT.

My plan is as follows:

December 2010: I will devote this month to grasp the basics of quantitative section as well as English grammar. This strategy will help me to learn English grammar from scratch whilst learning key concepts and tricks for quant section.

In order to build English grammar knowledge i relied on GMAT Club's Ultimate Grammar book. I will suggest this book to anyone who struggles or not confident about basic concepts of grammar. This book covers every aspect of english grammar tested in GMAT, and it also has plenty of additional questions to practise newly learnt concept.

I'm using this book and really hope that it will make difference to my GMAT verbal score.

By end of December 2010, i aim to achieve Q50 and thorough understanding of grammar.

January 2010: By 1st January 2010, I would have completed GMAT ultimate grammar book.

Week 1: I will start with MGMAT SC book to understand/practise tricks and strategies, which are must to conquer GMAT.
Week 2: I will start with Powerscore CR along with Powerscore SC.
Week 3:I will follow Powerscore RC to learn new skills and tricks.
Week 4: I will start taking at least two GMAT club's verbal test every week, and 1 GMAT club Quant test every week.

Feb 2010: its all about taking GMAT practise test.

guys, please let me know your thoughts. I appreciate your help in advance.

Chao

Pavinator

My aim is to get Q50 V45; i know it is possible and i will achieve it.

Well, good luck to everyone out there and it's time for me to get back to work.

In The World Full Of Duplicates,, I Am The Only Masterpiece..
Girl Power
beat-the-beast-with-non-native-speaker-108349.html

Last edited by tirupatibalaji on 27 Jan 2011, 08:11, edited 1 time in total.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2010, 08:30
tirupatibalaji wrote:
Hello Guys - I'm new to this forum and want to share my experience till date.

I started my GMAT preparation on 1st, December 2010. I got all the necessary MGMAT/Powerscore books required to conquer GMAT.

My plan is as follows:

December 2010: I will devote this month to grasp the basics of quantitative section as well as English grammar. This strategy will help me to learn English grammar from scratch whilst learning key concepts and tricks for quant section.

In order to build English grammar knowledge i relied on GMAT Club's Ultimate Grammar book. I will suggest this book to anyone who struggles or not confident about basic concepts of grammar. This book covers every aspect of english grammar tested in GMAT, and it also has plenty of additional questions to practise newly learnt concept.

I'm using this book and really hope that it will make difference to my GMAT verbal score.

By end of December 2010, i aim to achieve Q50 and thorough understanding of grammar.

January 2010: By 1st January 2010, I would have completed GMAT ultimate grammar book.

Week 1: I will start with MGMAT SC book to understand/practise tricks and strategies, which are must to conquer GMAT.
Week 2: I will start with Powerscore CR along with Powerscore SC.
Week 3:I will follow Powerscore RC to learn new skills and tricks.
Week 4: I will start taking at least two GMAT club's verbal test every week, and 1 GMAT club Quant test every week.

Feb 2010: its all about taking GMAT practise test.

guys, please let me know your thoughts. I appreciate your help in advance.

Chao

Pavinator

My aim is to get Q50 V45; i know it is possible and i will achieve it.

Well, good luck to everyone out there and it's time for me to get back to work.

My diagnostic test result was Q35 V32

Girl Power

Manager
Manager

Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 07:34
Hey guys i want to add another point for exponential improvement in GMAT verbal score.

try solving 20-30 SC questions on Verbal forum, and use the timer.

Cheer!!

Girl Power

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 38

Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2010, 16:20
@gurpreetsingh: You came so close to that magical figure....of 7+
what do you think went wrong since u were aiming for 7+
by any chance will you be writing debrief......????

I will give a Fight till the End

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."
- Bernard Edmonds

A person who is afraid of Failure can never succeed -- Amneet Padda

Don't Forget to give the KUDOS

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2010, 02:22
HII ... :)
i m new to this forum..
find it intresting.. :!:

would like to know :?: whether there is any better book other than MGMAT SC..
Kindly help.. :wink:
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2010, 02:34
hii balaji..
as you have said prior that you will complete math part by Dec'2010. So I guess you might have successfully completed math part and i would appreciate if could please debrief your study plan for math that you have been working out for a month.

thank U!! :)
Manager
Manager

Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2011, 09:07
VANQUISH9 wrote:
hii balaji..
as you have said prior that you will complete math part by Dec'2010. So I guess you might have successfully completed math part and i would appreciate if could please debrief your study plan for math that you have been working out for a month.

thank U!! :)

Hello guys,

Sorry for late response. I was extremely busy with my work commitments. I thought to formulate my strategy for coming week , whilst waiting for my flight to london. It will be nice to be back home after 2 weeks in Zurich.

Any ways, lets get to the point.

As per my study plan, i have successfully completed MGMAT series (all the 8) & GMAT Club's Verbal book. I also devoted sometime over GMAThack's 1000 questions (quant Qs). Those questions really helped me to build my confidence in each section. On 23rd Jan, i did GMAT prep1, and scored Q44. However, i didn't touch the verbal section, as advised by some experienced members of this forum.

Last Monday i did GMATclubs M01; i scored 29/37. I guess i am on right track.

Well now my focus is entirely on Verbal section.

As i mentioned it before, I have finished all the MGMAT books. and now it's time for question practise.

Target V40:

Weekdays: I will try to do at least 20SC, 20CR, 2RC questions per day. During lunch break, i will do some odd questions on quant, from GMATclub's forum.

Weekends: Try to do as many as questions possible. and on Sunday i will take MGMAT 01

Oh well i guess i have to run now.

Will edit this blog later..........

In mean time if you guys have any suggestions then please feel free to share.
Cheers!!

Girl Power

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 2 IT
WE 2: 4 Software Analyst
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 57

Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2011, 12:03
tirupatibalaji wrote:

i would not use that to gauge your verbal performance, you should really go thru a CAT to see if your verbal has improved
Manager
Manager

Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2011, 05:14
gtr022001 wrote:
tirupatibalaji wrote:

i would not use that to gauge your verbal performance, you should really go thru a CAT to see if your verbal has improved

You are right i cannot use this score against my GMAT verbal performance but surely i can against GMAT quant performance.

Today's update

In the morning i did 30 questions of CR from OG12 (31-60) , and as expected i had only 2 incorrect. But i think OG12 is not difficult, especially questions from 1 till 60, as i got only 3 incorrect in first 60 questions. Any ways i am happy with the progress i have made. I will strongly recommend Powerscore Bible CR and Bang Bang CR guide.
Although, i am struggling with SC, as my accuracy has been 65%. I think i have to go through the strategies mentioned in MGMAT SC, again.

Regarding RC: I will be doing at least 2 RCs per day. I will update about my progress in few days time.

Guys, i will appreciate it, if you can share your GMAT journey or be a companion to motivate others.

PS: I will be writing MGMAT 01 this weekend and i will update this post with my score.....

Girl Power

CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 182

Kudos [?]: 989 [0], given: 235

Reviews Badge
Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 03:38
I m about to join my new company in few days, so I m not sure how much time I would be able to devote to the Gmat.

But I will start soon with the verbal-especially RC and reading. I have heard good views about rc99 and would be starting soon.

I will update my progress of RC.

8-) PS: its my second inning.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Manager
Manager

Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 08:44
I am back in the game after agonising 4 days, as i have bruised my thumb whilst playing badminton.

I have been doing some CRs & RCs for past few days. My accuracy is almost 70% on CR question from 83-124 OG12. And on RC i am following RC99. so far so good. Accuracy rate in RC has been 85%.

But i am SUPER confused whether to pursue the quest of doing 1000s CR questions or not. I read few negative comments about it.

Can anyone reflect their thoughts about it?

And, also if someone can let me know any other practice material available for CR.

As per SC is concerned i have changed my strategy and i will religiously follow OGs, Aristotle's 100SC & brutal SC. doing questions apart from those, mentioned above, is shear waste of time.

I can be wrong?

Guys please suggest if any other material for SC i could follow, in addition to the list mentioned above.

Girl Power

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 2 IT
WE 2: 4 Software Analyst

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 57

Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 10:08
tirupatibalaji wrote:
I am back in the game after agonising 4 days, as i have bruised my thumb whilst playing badminton.

I have been doing some CRs & RCs for past few days. My accuracy is almost 70% on CR question from 83-124 OG12. And on RC i am following RC99. so far so good. Accuracy rate in RC has been 85%.

But i am SUPER confused whether to pursue the quest of doing 1000s CR questions or not. I read few negative comments about it.

Can anyone reflect their thoughts about it?

And, also if someone can let me know any other practice material available for CR.

As per SC is concerned i have changed my strategy and i will religiously follow OGs, Aristotle's 100SC & brutal SC. doing questions apart from those, mentioned above, is shear waste of time.

I can be wrong?

Guys please suggest if any other material for SC i could follow, in addition to the list mentioned above.

LSAT is pretty good, but some can be very challenging, practice on assumption and infer/conclusion/MustBeTrue questions

you might want to search up some of Ron's posts on how to study the og after you have tackled all of the problems, you will find his posts in the "other forum", hint "BTG".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 48

Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2011, 12:35
For those who did not get the hint - try What should I do next?

Actually, Ron gives exactly the same advice as Jess Sackmann does in his free advices. The idea is not just to hit (by luck) the correct answer, but to arrive at that answer with 200% confidence within 2 minutues. That said, I have difficulties to apply the concept for RC questions: unlike quant or SC, there is not that much 'take-away' you can carry from one problem to another.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 07:00
The thread is gr8; verbal needs some boosting; I am trying to solve some LSAT passages to get RC in the bag.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 07:21
Has anybody found that the last 20 ques of OG12 CR are extremely tough; I got only 8 of them correct, very frustrating!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2011, 14:10
hey gusy just wanted to let you know that his post is very usefull... Im also a non native and I am having a hard time with verbal... I scored a 22 in the exam... and hoping to improve.

Ive bought the SC from MGMAT and the powerscore CR and bought the aristotle RC problems..

Ive read the SC but found it very hard to digest... the powerscore CR is great... I took a 800score examen and got a 29... an improvement but i am aiming at 35... I got wrong like 60 % of reading comp... so i have to practive that a lot.

I just wanted to let you guys know that i`m also in this to the end!!!
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3.75 IT
WE 2: 1.0 IT

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 5

Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2011, 03:45
Hey guys..

Nice thread going on.. I’m also a non native and having a hard time with verbal..I have scored 26 in verbal in GMAT Prep Diagnostic test.. Have studied for GMAT before but couldn't give test due to work and other personal commitments..

Here is my plan for the GMAT:
I'm planning to read the list of GMAT fiction books suggested by BB and spend an entire month on improving my Quant.. Will be going through all 5 MGMAT books..
From mid of next month will be focusing on completely on Verbal.. And will follow the tips given by u guys..

Any advice or suggestion is welcomed..

Cheers,
Varun

If you like my post, give me KUDOS!!

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 102 [1] , given: 48

Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2011, 05:46
This post received
KUDOS
Slow, painful, but excellent solution for mastery after you're done with MGMAT SC book:

Log into MGMAT forum, find GMATPrep-Verbal question topics and smoke through all Ron's explanations.
Manager
Manager

Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 01:47
Vorskl: I know it is slow and painful solution but guess that is the only way to improve the Verbal. :-D
Will be reading books suggested by BB only after work hours, so guess won't be losing much of study time.. 8-) Thanks for the tip for verbal questions.. :)
How are the sessions given by Ron?? And do u guggest studing Aristotle Prep SC Grail before MGMAT SC?? :?:

Cheers,
Varun

Manager
Manager

Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 01:48
Vorskl: I know it is slow and painful solution but guess that is the only way to improve the Verbal.
Will be reading books suggested by BB only after work hours, so guess won't be losing much of study time.. Thanks for the tip for verbal questions..
How are the sessions given by Ron?? And do u suggest studing Aristotle Prep SC Grail before MGMAT SC??

Cheers,
Varun

Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight   [#permalink] 20 Apr 2011, 01:48