Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 13:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For all you PE junkies

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

For all you PE junkies [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2007, 23:44
Here's our target list:

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/for ... index.html

Orderd by size of recent buyout fundraising:

10. Thomas H Lee
9. Cerberus
8. Warburg Pincus
7. Apollo Advisors
6. Providence Equity Partners
5. Bain Capital
4. Texas Pacific Group
3. The Carlyle Group
2. KKR
1. The Blackstone Group
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

PE funds active in Asia [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2007, 00:57
Is there any list of PE funds active in Asia? Most of these funds have some Asian presence.

Going forward, I believe that the employment in PE would probably be in Asia...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2007, 01:08
almost all of these groups have actibity in Asia. However, that dosent mean that the top-dawgs are in asia. Most of the upper management is in US (NYC for the most part) and they have deals going on everywhere.

So I still think US is the place to join them and then work on deals in Asia, Latin America, wherever.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2007, 08:27
And I was just reading about price/earnings... to think I thought you were talking about relative multiples, but PE stood for Private Equity in this case. Ha, ha! :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2007, 09:52
10. Thomas H. Lee
Recent buyout fundraising: $7 billion

Description: Founder Tom Lee started his firm in 1974 with $150,000 - part inheritance, part loan from his brother. Lee moved to New York and left his Boston firm in 2005. Current senior partners Scott Sperling, Anthony DiNovi, and Scott Schoen continue to use his name. Lately Thomas H. Lee (the firm, not the man) has been hunting big game. Together with Bain Capital Partners and the Carlyle Group, Lee acquired Dunkin' Brands from Pernod Ricard for $2.4 billion in cash in March 2006. Again with Bain, Lee bid for Clear Channel Communications last fall. The price: $26.7 billion. With their most recent fund projected to close another $2 billion, expect to see Sperling, DiNovi, and Schoen continue to shake up the consumer, media, and business services sectors.

Boldface advisors: In October 2006 the firm hired media veteran Richard Bressler to lead its Strategic Resources Group. Bressler previously held positions at Viacom and was chairman and CEO of Time Warner Digital Media.

Fun fact: Some 30 out of 38 investment professionals are Harvard Business School alumni.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2007, 09:57
Interesting information. A good starting point for someone looking to research the area.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2007, 09:57
london is the real home to most of these PEs..nyc is no longer the finacial capital...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross, Kellogg, Darden (i/v)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2007, 23:28
fresinha12 wrote:
london is the real home to most of these PEs..nyc is no longer the finacial capital...

Even in the London offices, most people are from H/S/W - Harvard mostly, followed by Stan.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: PE funds active in Asia [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2007, 20:13
jchip wrote:
Is there any list of PE funds active in Asia? Most of these funds have some Asian presence.

Going forward, I believe that the employment in PE would probably be in Asia...

I know everyone is running to grab a stake in India currently, every big PE player wants a stake in Asia, I forsee them playing key roles even in Indonesia, Thailand Vietnam, and Korea...the biggest issues are the politics...so any country you see inviting money, you would be guess correctly to think someone is trying something

I must warn you though, read the recent economist and see the amount of shit PE guys are getting in Europe, do some research on the markets, if shit hits the fan, these guys are the Barbarians, when everything is fine and dandy, they are the miracle workers...it is all very fickle...think long term not short term.
Re: PE funds active in Asia   [#permalink] 08 Mar 2007, 20:13