Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 14:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For decades Surgeon Generals have warned that smoking

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
BSchool Thread Master
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 76

GMAT Tests User
For decades Surgeon Generals have warned that smoking [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 08:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:56) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
For decades Surgeon Generals have warned that smoking increases the risk of lung diseases, including lung cancer and emphysema, and can complicate pregnancy, and increases the risk of low birth weight.
(A) can complicate pregnancy, and increases the risk of low birth weight
(B) can complicate pregnancy, and increases low birth weight risks
(C) can complicate pregnancy, increasing the risks of low birth weight
(D) can complicate pregnancy by increasing the risks of low birth weight
(E) complicating pregnancy by increasing the risks of low birth weight

OA later.

Last edited by cano on 22 May 2010, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Surgeon Generals [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 09:20
cano wrote:
For decades Surgeon Generals have warned that smoking increases the risk of lung diseases, including lung cancer and emphysema, and can complicate pregnancy, and increases the risk of low birth weight.
(A) can complicate pregnancy, and increases the risk of low birth weight
(B) can complicate pregnancy, and increases low birth weight risks
(E) complicating pregnancy by increasing the risks of low birth weight

OA later.

Parallel form : Smoking can increase + can complicate
E: is out

A and B: These options treats "risk of low birth rates" as one MORE disease/effect.
A and B : Also not parallel, if these options treats "risk of low birth rates" as one MORE disease/effect.

C: "increasing" improperly modifies the complete clause "smoking increases the risk of lung diseases, including lung cancer and emphysema, and can complicate pregnancy"....increase in risk should only modify "pregnancy"

D: Correct.

OA plz.
BSchool Thread Master

GMAT Tests User
Re: Surgeon Generals [#permalink] New post 23 May 2010, 17:33
OA is D.

Last edited by cano on 24 May 2010, 07:14, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Surgeon Generals [#permalink] New post 23 May 2010, 22:39
cano wrote:
OA is C.

Can you please post the Official explanation (OE) for C and D.
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 711 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: Surgeon Generals [#permalink] New post 23 May 2010, 23:04
C and D are close.

In C: increasing the risks of low birth weight - an explainatory clause modifies the noun, pregnancy.

In D: This seems to be a passive construction. I have doubt on part with BY. The construction by increasing the risks of low birth weight says that smoking by increasing the risks of low birth weight can increase...and can complicate...:

For decades Surgeon Generals have warned that smoking [increases the risk of lung diseases and can complicate pregnancy] by increasing the risks of low birth weight.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

BSchool Thread Master

GMAT Tests User
Re: Surgeon Generals [#permalink] New post 23 May 2010, 23:17
nverma wrote:
cano wrote:
OA is C.

Can you please post the Official explanation (OE) for C and D.

Uhh, I just noticed that I did a big mistake. Sorry guys for that. I posted several questions from Kaplan the other day, and I must have confused it. I'll have to review the other questions as well. Sorry for the inconveniences.

Official Answer follows:

The original sentence has an unnecessary and before can complicate, but its larger problem is that the final item, increases the risk of low birth weight, should be subordinated to the previous, can complicate pregnancy, since the two problems are related. Choices (C), (D), and (E) all subordinate the final section by using a participle (increasing). (C) loses out in comparison to (D) and (E) since increasing is less clear than by increasing. (D) is better than (E). (E) wrongly subordinates can complicate pregnancy by replacing it with complicating pregnancy. The change makes no sense because, by subordinating this phrase to the previous one, (E) suggests that pregnancy complications are a type of lung disease. (D) it is.

Last edited by cano on 23 May 2010, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Surgeon Generals [#permalink] New post 23 May 2010, 23:19
So, you mean to say D is the OA or C?

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 6

Re: Surgeon Generals [#permalink] New post 26 May 2010, 07:16
can someone explain what is gramatically wrong in option (C)????

C: "increasing" improperly modifies the complete clause "smoking increases the risk of lung diseases, including lung cancer and emphysema, and can complicate pregnancy"....increase in risk should only modify "pregnancy"

>>> I thought "increasing the risks of low birth weight" correctly modifies only "can complicate pregnancy" because this clause (can complicate pregnancy) is separated by commas.....am I wrong in my analysis?
BSchool Thread Master

GMAT Tests User
Re: Surgeon Generals [#permalink] New post 26 May 2010, 07:22
seekmba wrote:
can someone explain what is gramatically wrong in option (C)????

>>> I thought "increasing the risks of low birth weight" correctly modifies only "can complicate pregnancy" because this clause (can complicate pregnancy) is separated by commas.....am I wrong in my analysis?

The OE only says that C loses out in comparison to D and E since increasing is less clear than by increasing. I hope this is helpful.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Surgeon Generals [#permalink] New post 26 May 2010, 07:30
Though I marked C, but I when I later ponder over it, D really makes sense.
You may find the attached explanation useful.

Attachment:
Surgeons.JPG
Surgeons.JPG [ 28.71 KiB | Viewed 928 times ]

Re: Surgeon Generals   [#permalink] 26 May 2010, 07:30