Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 14:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For each of the following statements, select True if the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3495

Kudos [?]: 26279 [0], given: 2708

For each of the following statements, select True if the [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 05:54
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Attachment:
Table.png
Table.png [ 13.59 KiB | Viewed 1764 times ]
For each of the following statements, select True if the statement can be verified as true based on the information in the table. Otherwise select False

True False
The proportion of museums in D related to Science, History and Archaeology is greater than the proportion of museums in F devoted to the same

The ratio of public museums to private museums is greatest for C

There is a positive correlation between the number of public museums and the number of visitors per year.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 14

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: For each of the following statements, select True if the [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 09:03
Bunuel wrote:
Attachment:
Table.png
For each of the following statements, select True if the statement can be verified as true based on the information in the table. Otherwise select False

True False
The proportion of museums in D related to Science, History and Archaeology is greater than the proportion of museums in F devoted to the same

There is a positive correlation between the number of public museums and the number of visitors per year.

The answers according to me would be, True, False, False.

Statement 1. By the proportion, I believe the question refers to the ratio of 'Museums in Science, History and Archaeology' to the total number. The ratio comes to be: D - 780/1173 ~ 0.66 and F - 498/775 ~ 0.64 (The calc is prity close so I didn't go for an approximations and went for exact values)

Statement 2: The ratio is greatest in B 220:1.
Statement 3: this was confusing since I had no idea regarding 'positive correlation', and simply used the idea of 'number of public museums' being directly proportional to the number of visitors. In that case, clearly, the increase in the number of public museums does not ensure increase in visitors. Hence, I think it might be false. Please verify! :)

Regards,
Arpan

Feed me some KUDOS! :) :) *always hungry*

My Thread : Recommendation Letters

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: For each of the following statements, select True if the [#permalink] New post 09 May 2013, 01:33
Without calculator - i really cannot tell, the ratios seem almost equal.
False: B has highest ratio.
Flase: compare A and B, there is one order of magintude difference in number of visitors althoug number of puplic museums is only 10% different. Similar story for G and H.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 70

Re: For each of the following statements, select True if the [#permalink] New post 10 May 2013, 00:17
1. The proportion of museums in D related to Science, History and Archaeology is greater than the proportion of museums in F devoted to the same

Without calculator:
D: 780/1173 ~ 750/1150 = 15/23 = 45/69
F: 498/775 ~ 500/775 = 100/155 ~ 100/150 = 2/3 = 26/45

With calculator: (Calculator will be available during exam)
D: 780/1173 = 0.66
F: 498/775 = 0.64

So the statement is true.

2. The ratio of public museums to private museums is greatest for C

From a quick glance, it is visible that highest ratio is with the country B.

So the statement is false.

3. There is a positive correlation between the number of public museums and the number of visitors per year.

To answer this question, we need to sort the data on the column public (GMAT IR section provides teh sorting feature)
After the sorting, the data can be found as follows

Number of public museums -**- Visitors per year
163 -********************************- 2058817
203 -*******************************- 11579900 -**- increase in number of visitors
220 -********************************- 2427703 -**- decrease in number of visitors
615 -*******************************- 10123438 -**- increase in number of visitors
713 -*******************************- 19648000 -**- increase in number of visitors
960 -*******************************- 12627700 -**- decrease in number of visitors
973 -*******************************- 56065370 -**- increase in number of visitors
1053 -******************************- 40469600 -**- decrease in number of visitors

Thus, it is evident that number of public museums does not have positive correlation with number of visitors per year.

So the statement is false.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 17

Re: For each of the following statements, select True if the [#permalink] New post 17 May 2013, 12:01
Excel format of the table attached.

St1: The proportion of museums in D related to Science, History and Archaeology is greater than the proportion of museums in F devoted to the same
% for D = 0.66
% for F = 0.64
TRUE

St2:The ratio of public museums to private museums is greatest for C
Ratio for C = 2.67
Ratio for E is greater than 9
hence C is not the greatest.
FALSE

St3: There is a positive correlation between the number of public museums and the number of visitors per year.
Out of 8 countries, 5 show an increase in visitors with increase in # public museums.
I would take that as a sign of POSITIVE correlation since majority is showing a +ve corr. It is not necessary that each country must show this +ve relationship (at least that's my understanding that if we plot this line on a graph with # public museums on X asis and Visitors per year on Y axis, if the slope is up, that's +ve correlation. A positive correlation can co-exist with some elements in the set that might be negatively correlated).
TRUE

Any expert comments would be much apprciated for the 3rd part.
Attachments

Museums IR.xlsx [8.39 KiB]
Downloaded 134 times

To download please login or register as a user

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 40

Re: For each of the following statements, select True if the [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2013, 14:13
Umm.. that is most definitely a positive correlation for part C, although not a very strong one.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: For each of the following statements, select True if the [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 11:19
dave785 wrote:
Umm.. that is most definitely a positive correlation for part C, although not a very strong one.

Yes I agree.

I had T, F, T.

KUDOS please if my post was useful!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: For each of the following statements, select True if the [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2013, 03:15
experts!...pls throw some light on..."positive co relation"

Thnks
A
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: For each of the following statements, select True if the [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2013, 06:47
aniketmunshi wrote:
experts!...pls throw some light on..."positive co relation"
Thnks
A

I'm no expert, but I do pretty well on IR. My understanding of positive correlation is: can you infer from the data that a relatively large value on one axis is likely to correspond to a relatively large value on the other axis?

So in the scope of this question, if I ask you to estimate the visitors per year for:

(1) 300-museum country, and

(2) 800-museum country,

Are you going to guess a larger value for the second option?

Then there's probably a positive correlation. (Of course, this is assuming a strictly increasing/decreasing line/curve of best fit; this is going to get more complicated if the data follows a parabolic trend or something.)

Hope that helps a bit.

KUDOS please if my post was useful!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Healthcare
GMAT Date: 03-03-2014
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: For each of the following statements, select True if the [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2013, 18:37
IMO:
True
False
False

Thanks
crazy4priya
GMATPrep 1 710/Q49/V38
GMATPrep 2 690/Q49/V34
Veritas Prep 700/Q50/V36/IR5
MGMT Test 1 700/Q51/V35/IR3

Re: For each of the following statements, select True if the   [#permalink] 08 Aug 2013, 18:37