Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 00:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For every 100 car accidents on the road, not more than 30

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 717 [1] , given: 116

Premium Member
For every 100 car accidents on the road, not more than 30 [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 03:13
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:35) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 35 sessions
For every 100 car accidents on the road, not more than 30 are caused by female drivers. Hence it can be concluded that women are less prone to cause car accidents on the road than men are.

Which of the following, if true, would cast the most serious doubt on the conclusion drawn by the argument?

A) Female drivers on average own more expensive cars than male drivers do.

B) Male drivers are much more likely to have been using a mobile phone while causing the accident than are female drivers.

C) Male drivers take better care of their cars than do female drivers.

D) Out of all car drivers on the road, ninety percent are male.

E) Heavy vehicles such as trucks and buses are almost always driven by male drivers.

My own question.. So no OA.... Comments and Feedback are welcome.. :)

[Reveal] Spoiler:
My Answer is D

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 44

Re: For every 100 car accidents on the road, [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 03:35
MacFauz wrote:
For every 100 car accidents on the road, not more than 30 are caused by female drivers. Hence it can be concluded that women are less prone to cause car accidents on the road than men are.

Which of the following, if true, would cast the most serious doubt on the conclusion drawn by the argument?

B) Male drivers are much more likely to have been using a mobile phone while causing the accident than are female drivers.

E) Heavy vehicles such as trucks and buses are almost always driven by male drivers.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
My Answer is D

Oh! i dont understand y D?
i chose B.
I thot in this case to weaken conclusion, which is comparison here, would be to post some other reason that makes conclusion illogical.
So if Male drivers cause accidents because of mobile phone, this makes conclusion illogical.

Pls post ur comment as well!

GMAT - Practice, Patience, Persistence
Kudos if u like :)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 14

Re: For every 100 car accidents on the road, [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 06:55
It is given that 30% per cent of all car accident are caused by women.

In option D , "Out of all car drivers on the road 90% are male". So only 10% women car drivers causes 30% accidents. So the conclusion is wrong.

Regarding B. Irrespective of they use mobile phones or not while driving they are causing accidents. So it doesn't cause a doubt on the conclusion.
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 539

Kudos [?]: 2262 [0], given: 31

Re: For every 100 car accidents on the road, [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 11:12
Expert's post
MacFauz wrote:

My own question.. So no OA.... Comments and Feedback are welcome.. :)]

Dear MacFauz,
To be honest, I have a few criticisms of this question. First of all, the argument is particular short ---- you will notice that GMAT CR question prompts are typically meaty paragraphs. Few in the OG are as short as this. There are usually more factors in play.

Second, this argument treads dangerous close to territory that some people might consider offensive --- the whole "women are bad drivers" stereotype, which is contentious and which deeply offends some people. You will notice, the GMAT CR is scrupulous about avoiding topics that are likely to offend people on grounds of sexism, racism, religion, etc. etc. Whether the argument supports this stereotype or not, the fact that some people find it offensive is a very good reason to avoid it all together.

Finally, there's only really two factors under consideration --- gender and accident rate ---- and so this makes it extraordinarily easy to eliminate answer --- it's very clear that answers (A) & (B) & (C) & (E) are irrelevant. You see, if the argument mentions, say, four or five factors, then the answer can have an interesting interplay of these various factors, and it gives test taker much more to analyze.

Those are my thoughts.

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Expert Post
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 153

Kudos [?]: 1003 [0], given: 931

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: For every 100 car accidents on the road, [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 12:22
Expert's post
shanmugamgsn wrote:
MacFauz wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
My Answer is D

Oh! i dont understand y D?
i chose B.
I thot in this case to weaken conclusion, which is comparison here, would be to post some other reason that makes conclusion illogical.
So if Male drivers cause accidents because of mobile phone, this makes conclusion illogical.

Pls post ur comment as well!

Dear shanmugamgsn,

stimulus is not pointing any particular habit of men drivers. it is just saying their proportion in causing accidents is greater, whatsoever be the reasons.

Conclusion :- women are less prone to cause car accident than men are.

Evidence :- 70% of the accidents are caused by men.

Choice B :- men often use mobile phones while driving. so this may explains the cause behind greater proportion of men causing accidents than that of women. How does this choice weakens the argument? It indeed strengthens.

Choice D :- 90% of the car drivers are men which cause 70% accidents, whereas 10% of car drivers are women which causes 30% of accidents.
This clearly weakens the argument

Regards,

Abhijit.

Be the coolest guy in the MBA Forum - Be a threadmaster!

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

All MBA Resources All 'Sticky' Topics at one place

Please share your profiles for this application season: 2015 Profiles w/ Admit/Dings Results!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Next Generation GMATClub CATS with Brilliant Analytics.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: For every 100 car accidents on the road, not more than 30 [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2013, 20:42
Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

100% (01:42) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 11 sessions

I believe that is D

thanks
Re: For every 100 car accidents on the road, not more than 30   [#permalink] 06 Nov 2013, 20:42