Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 04:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For every positive even integer n, the function h(n) is

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 27

Re: For every positive even integer n, the function h(n) is [#permalink] New post 04 May 2014, 21:27
hi

i did the same thing as karishma and when i got 2551, i thought that cannot be correct as the answer mentions above 40, so my solution must be wrong :(.. anyway i clicked e and it turned out right.

Bunnel & Karishma: how can u guys solve all qs so easily?

Hope to clear it this time!!
GMAT 1: 540
Preparing again :(

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
For every positive even integer n, the function h(n) is defi [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2014, 08:35
For every positive even integer n, the function h(n) is defined to be the product of all the even integers from 2 to n, inclusive. If p is the smallest prime factor of h(100) + 1, then p is

A. between 2 and 10
B. between 10 and 20
C. between 20 and 30
D. between 30 and 40
E. greater than 40
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3611

Kudos [?]: 28882 [0], given: 2859

Re: For every positive even integer n, the function h(n) is [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2014, 08:39
Expert's post
Game wrote:
For every positive even integer n, the function h(n) is defined to be the product of all the even integers from 2 to n, inclusive. If p is the smallest prime factor of h(100) + 1, then p is

A. between 2 and 10
B. between 10 and 20
C. between 20 and 30
D. between 30 and 40
E. greater than 40

Merging similar topics. Please refer tot he discussion on page 1.

Check questions about various functions in Special Questions Directory

Operations/functions defining algebraic/arithmetic expressions
Symbols Representing Arithmetic Operation
Rounding Functions
Various Functios

Hope it helps.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

BSchool Forum Moderator
Affiliations: PMI
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE: Project Management (Other)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 423

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: For every positive even integer n, the function h(n) is [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2014, 21:10
imadkho wrote:
Thanks Bunuel. It was very helpful. This was my 3rd question on the practice test, I spent a minute without even knowing where to start from, so I made a random guess and moved on. I got 13 incorrect questions out of the 37, but I managed to score 48. thanks again

Q48 with 13 incorrect! you must have had a great start and screwed up towards the end, I guess... :|
'coz I scored a Q50 with 7 wrong answers which were evenly spread .. :?

Was I helpful? Shower some kudos... :) Feeling sick with all that boring education or the stressful applications.?! Follow me I'll throw you some stressbusters.. ;)

LBS Research made easy - Check it out.
Check out for quick info about Tuck - Why Tuck? EA Round Pros & Cons. Admission Process and Tips.

Bored of all the GMAT and MBA stuff? Check this page out - Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA - it might give you something to laugh on or may be to be hopeful about... :)

Raves, rants and war stories of First Year MBA Students

Received an offer? Congrats! You might want to 'Negotiate the Offer'.

Be a sport. Update your profile here.

"GMAT conquered. Let's talk about applications..."
Persistence is the key. And I'm gonna make through...

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: For every positive even integer n, the function h(n) is [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2014, 01:06
hifunda wrote:
Thanks for the explanation. I also got this as my 3rd question, couldn't figure it out, ended up guessing and moving on. Surprising that GMATPrep throws you such hard questions early.

I have the same observation. Is this the case in actual GMAT as well ? I also scored 48 on my quant inspite of a few incorrect answers. How will the real GMAT be ?

The verbal was quite difficult as well in the GMATPrep exam
BSchool Forum Moderator
Affiliations: PMI
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE: Project Management (Other)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 423

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: For every positive even integer n, the function h(n) is [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2014, 01:41
himanshujovi wrote:
I have the same observation. Is this the case in actual GMAT as well ? I also scored 48 on my quant inspite of a few incorrect answers. How will the real GMAT be ?

Hi Himanshu
I found quant pretty easy. If you have appeared for CAT and scored well there (I'm talking 95 percentile+), then you'll be at ease here as well.
In case you're not comfy with verbal, then I strongly suggest that you take the free sessions from e-GMAT. They also have quite a lot free resource on GMATClub. I used their free stuff for my practice & doubt clearance and was able to score V41. To me it doesn't sound like a coincidence. :)

Cheers to you and all the best. :-D

Was I helpful? Shower some kudos... :) Feeling sick with all that boring education or the stressful applications.?! Follow me I'll throw you some stressbusters.. ;)

LBS Research made easy - Check it out.
Check out for quick info about Tuck - Why Tuck? EA Round Pros & Cons. Admission Process and Tips.

Bored of all the GMAT and MBA stuff? Check this page out - Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA - it might give you something to laugh on or may be to be hopeful about... :)

Raves, rants and war stories of First Year MBA Students

Received an offer? Congrats! You might want to 'Negotiate the Offer'.

Be a sport. Update your profile here.

"GMAT conquered. Let's talk about applications..."
Persistence is the key. And I'm gonna make through...

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1156

Kudos [?]: 5374 [0], given: 165

Re: For every positive even integer n, the function h(n) is [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2014, 20:32
Expert's post
himanshujovi wrote:
hifunda wrote:
Thanks for the explanation. I also got this as my 3rd question, couldn't figure it out, ended up guessing and moving on. Surprising that GMATPrep throws you such hard questions early.

I have known people, who expect to score around 650, to get stuck on first or second question - not many but some. So be prepared for anything. Don't worry much about number of incorrect responses. GMAT will be able to judge your ability as long as you don't mislead it by wasting too much time on 1 or 2 questions or making too many careless mistakes.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 5374 [1] , given: 165

Re: For every positive even integer n, the function h(n) is [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2014, 23:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
enigma123 wrote:
For every positive even integer n, the function h(n) is defined to be the product of all the even integers from 2 to n, inclusive. If p is the smallest prime factor of h(100) +1, then p is?

A. Between 2 and 20
B. Between 10 and 20
C. Between 20 and 30
D. Between 30 and 40
E. Greater than 40

Responding to a pm:
Quote:
The question boil downs to this equation:

2^50*50!

Now, let's assume this number is n. We know this number is even. So n+1 will have no factors common to n except 1.

But how can we say that n+1 will have factors greater than factors of n?
In this question we say that since n has prime factors from 2 to 47, n+1 will have prime factors greater than 47. This part of the solution has left me stumbled.

Let me quote an example:
for eg. 34 & 35

34 = 17*2
35 = 5*7

Even though 35 does not share any common factors with 34, it has prime factors less than the largest prime factor of 34 i.e. 17.

So how can we be sure and say 2^2*50!+1 will have the least prime factor greater than 47?

As per my understanding, since 2^50*50! has eaten up all the prime factors from 2 to 47, the only possible factors left for 2^50*50!+1 are greater than 47. Otherwise, 2^50*50!+1 it will end up having prime factors common to 2^50*50!, which is not possible.

Can you help me ensure that my understanding is correct?

You are comparing factors of n with factors of (n+1). You actually have to compare factors of n! with factors of n! + 1.

Say n = 4.

n! = 1*2*3*4 = 24
n! + 1 = 25
Will 25 have any factors common with n!? No, because n! has all factors from 1 to n.
n! + 1 has 5 as a factor which is larger than n.

Similarly, say n = 5

n! = 1*2*3*4*5 = 120
n! + 1 = 121

Will 121 have any factors from 1 to 5? No. All these numbers are factors of n! so they cannot be factors of n!+1.

Does this make sense?

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: For every positive even integer n, the function h(n) is [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2014, 21:21
Shouldn't 1 be the smallest prime factor of h(100) +1?

Cheers
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 5374 [0], given: 165

Re: For every positive even integer n, the function h(n) is [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2014, 21:46
Expert's post
annie2014 wrote:
Shouldn't 1 be the smallest prime factor of h(100) +1?

Cheers

1 is not a prime number. The smallest prime number is 2.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: For every positive even integer n, the function h(n) is   [#permalink] 20 Oct 2014, 21:46