Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7797 [51]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [14]
Given Kudos: 130
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [6]
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: For farmers in the Salinas Valley, the vegetable growing business has [#permalink]
Option C is having "being" which should be avoided, it makes the sentence wordy.

Option D looks good. Them refers to "crops".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
Re: For farmers in the Salinas Valley, the vegetable growing business has [#permalink]
C: being caused by unfavorable weather that killed or ripened crops.
Being caused by doesn't make any sense, at all, if you think of it a little carefully.

Two possibilities:-
Being: A State of "Being", right? or..
Being: As in HUMAN BEING.

So, when you say "....usuallly being caused by" --> What it actually means is that Something is already in the state of being, or there is someother person who was caused by? both these meanings dont make sense.

Lastly, concision - Caused by is consice and nice looking, although it is passive, I guess in this sentence it is required. Because if you say "the downs....because of..." it sounds like a fragment. So, caused by completes the idea nicely in D.

PS: Please underline the portion correctly when posting questions just as you would see it in the Exam prompt.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2093 [2]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Kudos
+1 D

You should avoid use being & try to generally look at it as a last option
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V47
WE:Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
eybrj2 wrote:
For farmers in the Salinas Valley, the vegetale growing business has always been one of economic ups and downs, the downs usually because of ubfavorable weather that killed crops, or they ripened too quickly.

a)

b) because of unfavorable weather kinlling or ripening crops.

c) being caused by unfavorable weather that killed or ripened crops.

d) caused by unfavorable weather that kills crops or ripens them

e) caused by unfavorable weather killing crops, ot that they ripen

What's wrong with c?

And I think that "them" in d is redundant or awkward. Why is it ok?

"them" is necessary to refer to "crops", so D is right. Please underline the portion of the sentence as in the original question and if you're too lazy to do that at least retype this portion on A to help other people to help you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 473 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Send PM
stuck between B and D can someone throw some light on that please.

thnx
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
eybrj2 wrote:
What's wrong with c? And I think that "them" in d is redundant or awkward. Why is it ok?

For farmers in the Salinas Valley, the vegetable growing business has always been one of economic ups and downs, the downs usually because of unfavorable weather that killed crops, or they ripened too quickly.
(A) because of unfavorable weather that killed crops, or they ripened
(B) because of unfavorable weather killing or ripening crops
(C) being caused by unfavorable weather that killed or ripened crops
(D) caused by unfavorable weather that kills crops or ripens them
(E) caused by unfavorable weather killing crops, or that they ripen

Problem #1 with C
the phrase "being caused" is very awkward ---- the phrase "being" + participle of a verb is almost never correct on GMAT SC. Whenever you even see the word "being", your hackles should go up and you should be highly suspicious.
Problem #2 with C
by cramming the two verbs so close together, the adverb "too quickly" will apply to both of them. It is a problem that they ripen too quickly. The problem is not that that the crops are killed "too quickly", but simply that they were killed at all. The adverb "too quickly" should just modify the "ripen" verb, not the "kill" verb. (That's also a problem with B)

D is not redundant because there is a parallel structure between the two verbs, "kills" and "ripens" --- both are followed by direct object. It would be redundant, or awkwardly wordy, to say: ". . . that kills crops or ripens crops too quickly." In other words, it would sound funny to use the word "crops" twice. That's why it's perfectly acceptable to use the pronoun "them" for the crops after the second verb: ". . . that kills crops or ripens them too quickly." That's perfect. Grammatically correct, not awkward, not redundant.

Does all this make sense?

It's sounds like you need some help in understanding the rules of grammar and what constitutes redundant and/or awkward constructions. I would like to recommend Magoosh test prep. We have over 200 lesson videos that deliver all the content and strategy for the GMAT, as well as 800+ practice questions, each with it's own video explanation. Here's a sample lesson for SC.
https://gmat.magoosh.com/lessons/599-int ... correction
Here's a sample SC question:
https://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/1120
When you submit your answer, the following page will have the video explanation.

I hope all this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mike :)

@MIKE

Could you please comment on B. I cant differentiate between B and D.

THANX
Manager
Manager
Status:I will not stop until i realise my goal which is my dream too
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools: Johnson '15
Send PM
+1 to Mike...i would go with D too for the same reason
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
kraizada84 wrote:
@MIKE

Could you please comment on B. I cant differentiate between B and D.

THANX

Well, it's subtle ---

(B) the downs usually because of unfavorable weather killing or ripening crops too quickly.

One problem is what I mentioned in my above post --- if the verbs ("killing" & "ripening") are this closely joined, then the adverb "quickly" applies to both them. The adverb "quickly" is only supposed to apply to the verb "ripening" --- while it's fine for plants to ripen, it's a problem if they ripen too quickly. The adverb "quickly" is not supposed to apply to "killing" --- it's bad for the weather to kill the plants, and whether it does so quickly or slowly doesn't matter. That is the biggest obvious problem with (B).

Even more subtle --- I can't quite explain why, but "the downs usually caused by unfavorable weather . . ." sounds more natural than the "downs usually because of unfavorable weather . . ." Using some form of the verb "cause" is usually more direct than using the words "because of."

In this sense, this question is not really a solid GMAT SC question, because aside from that relatively subtle thing about the adverb "quickly", there's no real glaring mistake with (B). Here, (D) is right because it has absolutely no mistake, but on the real GMAT, the wrong answers will be more obviously wrong.

Does this make sense? Let me know if you have any questions.

@ Mike,

That was helpful.

I think B and D also has a difference, please comment on the difference i have drawn out below:

My thoughts:

--> Can we also say B is flawed because the use of -ing verb i.e. unfavorable weather is not restricted here. It just conveys if unfavorable weather--> crops killed and ripened ?

--> the use "that" here makes it more accurate by restricting the "unfavorable weather", i.e. not all 100 unfavorable weather kills/ripens but out of 100 some like 30-40 kills/ripens. Because its never true whenever there is unfavorable weather then crops get killed/ripened.
hence D goes best.

Am i correct in drawing out the difference? Is this difference worth differentiating the correct answer?

thanx
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Why I have eliminated D because it has construction "because of....or...."
i guess this is grammatically incorrect. it should be "because of....or because of....".

correct me if i am wrong.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [3]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
kraizada84 wrote:
I think B and D also has a difference, please comment on the difference i have drawn out below:

My thoughts:

--> Can we also say B is flawed because the use of -ing verb i.e. unfavorable weather is not restricted here. It just conveys if unfavorable weather--> crops killed and ripened ?

--> the use "that" here makes it more accurate by restricting the "unfavorable weather", i.e. not all 100 unfavorable weather kills/ripens but out of 100 some like 30-40 kills/ripens. Because its never true whenever there is unfavorable weather then crops get killed/ripened.
hence D goes best.

Am i correct in drawing out the difference? Is this difference worth differentiating the correct answer?

thanx

Well, the -ing phrases in B are used correctly. I'm not sure what you mean by "restricted", but the noun "unfavorable weather" is correctly modified by the participles "killing" and "ripening". For example, in the sentence:

Unfavorable weather killing crops and giving livestock diseases is a big problem for farmers in the Midwest.

That sentence is perfectly correct grammatically, with the parallel participial phrases "killing crops" and "giving livestock diseases" both modifying the noun "unfavorable weather." Does that make sense?

In general, you can modify either with a participial phrase ("unfavorable weather killing crops") or a dependent clause ("unfavorable weather that kills crops"). Both are perfectly correct. In general, participial phrases are often a little shorter and less "clunky" then subordinate clauses, but it all depends on wording and context.

If the role of participial phrases vs. subordinate clauses is unfamiliar, I highly recommend Magoosh. We have 200+ lesson videos, including videos that explain all the grammar on the GMAT. Here's a sample lesson:

https://gmat.magoosh.com/lessons/615-modifiers-i

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [2]
Kudos