Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Nov 2014, 11:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For many people, household labor remains demanding even if

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 12

For many people, household labor remains demanding even if [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2011, 06:45
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (02:11) correct 50% (01:15) wrong based on 94 sessions
For many people, household labor remains demanding even if able to afford household
appliances their grandparents would find a miracle
(A) even if able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle
(B) despite being able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a
miracle
(C) even if they can afford household appliances their grandparents would have found
miraculous
(D) although they could afford household appliances their grandparents would find
miraculous
(E) even if they are able to afford household appliances which would have been a miracle
to their grandparents
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: Meaning [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2011, 06:57
The SC is checking for tense, pronoun ambiguity.

B goes out for "being".
E - "which" spoiler
"find" is present tense - A and D gone.

C remains.

whichscore wrote:
For many people, household labor remains demanding even if able to afford household
(A) even if able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle
(B) despite being able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a
miracle
(C) even if they can afford household appliances their grandparents would have found
miraculous
(D) although they could afford household appliances their grandparents would find
miraculous
(E) even if they are able to afford household appliances which would have been a miracle
to their grandparents
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 12

Re: Meaning [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2011, 08:12
i didnt got why "find" is present tense...
Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 275

Kudos [?]: 1771 [6] , given: 249

Re: Meaning [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2011, 08:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Between “would find” and “would have found” the difference lies in that, “would find” denotes a definite future possibility, but one that has still not started to exist, while “would have found” points to something that started in the past and that might well carry into the future. Hence given that it is grandparents who are involved, “would have found” fits in more aptly than “would find”.

Hence we have to drop choices A, B and D. Between C and E, the passive expression “they are able” is an inferior one to the more dynamic and active “they can”. C is the decisive winner.

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 5

Re: For many people, household labor remains demanding even if [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2012, 19:55
whichscore wrote:
miracle
miraculous
miraculous
to their grandparents

Can some one explain me they and their (pronoun) reflect to People or to the labor?
How one can find out tense problem is there in the sentence?
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 179 [1] , given: 50

Reviews Badge
Re: For many people, household labor remains demanding even if [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2012, 20:36
This post received
KUDOS
jitgoel wrote:
whichscore wrote:
miracle
miraculous
miraculous
to their grandparents

Can some one explain me they and their (pronoun) reflect to People or to the labor?
Allways pay attention to the logical antecedent for the pronoun. Here they/their definitely refer to people. If it refers to labor it does not make any sense (labor dont have grandparents). Ex- The car hits the tree and its engine is damaged. (Here it refers to car, and not tree. Tree dont have engine)
How one can find out tense problem is there in the sentence?

Clause 1: For many people, household labor remains demanding (Independent) Tense is present
Clause 2: even if able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle. (Dependent with contrast) the subject "they" is misssing here.

(A) even if able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle. Subject is missing- dont know who can afford
(B) despite being able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle. Subject is missing- Dont now about the subject.
(C) even if they can afford household appliances their grandparents would have found miraculous. Correct Choice- Usage of Can (present tense). The main/Principal clause is in present.
(D) although they could afford household appliances their grandparents would find miraculous. Wrong tense used "could"
(E) even if they are able to afford household appliances which would have been a miracle to their grandparents. Usage of which without comma

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

CEO
CEO
Followers: 304

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: For many people, household labor remains demanding even if [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2014, 05:25
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: For many people, household labor remains demanding even if   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2014, 05:25