Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 10:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For many people, household labor remains demanding even if

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

For many people, household labor remains demanding even if [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2003, 10:47
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
For many people, household labor remains demanding even if able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle.
(A) even if able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle
(B) despite being able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle
(C) even if they can afford household appliances their grandparents would have found miraculous
(D) although they could afford household appliances their grandparents would find miraculous
(E) even if they are able to afford household appliances which would have been a miracle to their grandparents
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2003, 10:56
C and D are the only options. Others are poorly worded: be able to afford.
Among what is left C is the best.

Chihao, is that a real picture of yours? u love baseball?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2003, 11:08
vaka wrote:
C and D are the only options. Others are poorly worded: be able to afford.
Among what is left C is the best.

Chihao, is that a real picture of yours? u love baseball?

Hi Vaka
Of course, I'm fanastic fan for baseball......
In country,Taiwan,the baseball is very popular and common~~~
That picture isn't me, and is a baseball star coming from Japense......

your answer is right!
I have question for "even if" and "although"
How to judge the difference both?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2003, 11:20
Read this,
though you shouldn't even touch E, since it contains unnecessary <be able>

тАЬCONTRASTтАЭ CONJUNCTIONS тАУ ALTHOUGH,
INSPITE OF, DESPITE, BUT
We have seen previously how to use the contrast conjunction тАЬbutтАЭ in order to express a contrasting
situation. тАЬI took the GMAT but I did not apply to a Graduate School of Business.тАЭ The normal expectation
is that if one takes the GMAT, then one applies to the Graduate School of Business.
тАЬBUTтАЭ tells us that the normal expectation was belied in the situation described.
Consider another example:
тАЬChinese Scientists had long known that the flow of blood was a continuous circle controlled by the heart,
BUT the discovery was unnoticed in the west.тАЭ
The contrast described is that the phenomenon was known in one part of the world but the other part of the
world was completely oblivious of it.
In some sentences, we will be required to express a positive or a negative contrast.
ALTHOUGH is a conjunction used to express a positive outcome in the face of a negative quality.
EVEN THOUGH is an extreme although. тАЬAlthough it was raining, we went to the movies.тАЭ тАЬEven though it
was snowing heavily and the roads were treacherous, we went to the movies.тАЭ Do you see the extreme
situation presented in the sentence using тАШeven thoughтАЩ?
DESPITE or INSPITE OF is used to express a negative outcome in the face of a positive quality.
EXAMPLES:
Although I did not prepare well for the test, I received a very high score in the 90 th percentile.
Although Chimpanzees have only half the human intelligence, they are remarkably perceptive.
Notice the тАЬalthough a negative, a positiveтАЭ
aspect to the above sentences.
Let us see how тАЬdespiteтАЭ or тАЬinspite ofтАЭ is correctly used.
EXAMPLE:
тАЬDespite its enormous resources, the United States lags the third world countries in grade school
education.тАЭ
тАЬDespite the fact that we started early, we arrived at the destination very late.тАЭ
тАЬDespite their intelligence and advanced education, terrorists use their knowledge for evil purposes.тАЭ
Notice the тАЬdespite a positive, a negativeтАЭ aspect
to the above examples.
CAVEAT: GMAT answer choices do not normally use тАЬdespiteтАЭ correctly. Before you are tempted to pick
an answer choice using тАЬDespiteтАЭ or тАЬdespite havingтАЭ forms, check to see whether these expressions are
indeed used to express a negative outcome in the face of a positive quality. :wink:
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2003, 12:26
The uniform, clearly, is issued by the Yomiuri Giants, Hideki Matsui's former team.

As an American, I think that Japanese baseball logos are some of the world's coolest consumer art...
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2003, 05:09
once I had a chance to watch the game of white sox and cubs in Chicago. I believe those teams are among the strongest in US?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2003, 18:13
stoolfi wrote:
The uniform, clearly, is issued by the Yomiuri Giants, Hideki Matsui's former team.

As an American, I think that Japanese baseball logos are some of the world's coolest consumer art...

Hi stoolfi
I have interesting in your comment that "Japanese baseball logos are some of the world's coolest consumer art"..........
Do you often watch Japense baseball game?
Although I'm not Japense, but Taiwanese, I still love their baseball game... :) :)
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2003, 07:50
Chihao,

I watch Japanese baseball every time it's on TV, about three or four times yearly. I like the style of play a lot-- it's more of a speed game than the US version, and everyone has a real forkball (unlike the US where only three or four non-japanese pitchers throw a real forkball).

Taipei always fields a good little league team, no?

And I want some of these logos on posters so I can decorate with them:
http://www.logoserver.com/Japan.html

If you go to business school in the US, and get in somewhere other than Boston/NY/Chicago/California, you'll be able to watch a lot of baseball, in person, cheaply. Have you thought about Carey or Wharton?
CEO
CEO
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 252 [0], given: 4

[#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 14:43
OA is C.
  [#permalink] 25 Aug 2007, 14:43