Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 18:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For MBA Applicants, Final-Round Blues

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
For MBA Applicants, Final-Round Blues [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 07:33
For MBA Applicants, Final-Round Blues

The MBA application process is down to the wire. How competitive will the final round be? Should you wait until next year? Experts weigh in

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/co ... =rss_daily

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Fuqua '11
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: For MBA Applicants, Final-Round Blues [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 10:48
I think I've posted this before, but the adcom reps from Harvard and Kellogg who came to the info sessions in Charlotte in the fall explicitly discouraged people from waiting until R3 to apply, because they know they cannot give you as fair a look as they do candidates in R1 and R2.

Obviously for people who want to join the MBA class of 2011, at this point R3 is all you have going for you. But it is a very tough round -- you really have to make yourself stand out to get an admit.
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: For MBA Applicants, Final-Round Blues [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2009, 04:33
Must be a slow news day over at BW if they ran an article saying that R3 is ultracompetitive. Just about every admissions director I've heard or school website I've read has strongly encouraged people to apply in earlier rounds, because by the time the final round arrives most of the class has been filled already.

Sure, applying in R3 gives you a slightly higher chance of getting in than not applying at all, but I'd think twice about applying in R3 if I'd have to write a reapplicant essay for class of 2012 saying how my candidacy has improved in the past 5 months.

Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: For MBA Applicants, Final-Round Blues [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2009, 08:44
i am going to be testing this theory..i am applying R3 to W/H/S

i am confused..are the numbers up or down????

i seriously doubt that a lot of applicants are applying to b-school this year..what are they going to do 2 years out from now??
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: For MBA Applicants, Final-Round Blues [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2009, 09:04
FN wrote:
i am going to be testing this theory..i am applying R3 to W/H/S

i am confused..are the numbers up or down????

i seriously doubt that a lot of applicants are applying to b-school this year..what are they going to do 2 years out from now??

What are you going to do 2 years from now?
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: For MBA Applicants, Final-Round Blues [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2009, 11:45
i already have a job after I graduate, I am going to join my non-profit full time..
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: For MBA Applicants, Final-Round Blues [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2009, 12:48
FN wrote:
i already have a job after I graduate, I am going to join my non-profit full time..

Seriously?

Are they paying for your MBA then? If not, why would you go that route?

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: For MBA Applicants, Final-Round Blues [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2009, 19:07
yeah man, you only live once and this non-profit has become my life passion..so i want to give it my best shot..acquire the skills i need, hopefully attract some fellow students to join me..
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua '11
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: For MBA Applicants, Final-Round Blues [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2009, 10:25
FN wrote:
yeah man, you only live once and this non-profit has become my life passion..so i want to give it my best shot..acquire the skills i need, hopefully attract some fellow students to join me..

That's pretty admirable, dude!

As far as what we'll be doing 2 years out -- the same thing anyone with an MBA does, for the most part. Wall Street jobs are pretty much gone and hiring is down in other traditional post-MBA functions and industries a bit, but I think it's easy to overstate how bad things are. People are getting jobs. HBS just released a post saying 77% of the Class of 2009 have offers. Talking to people at Fuqua, about 2/3 had offers as of two weeks ago. That is down from past years (which were boom years, not average), and for int'ls I suspect it is harder than for domestic students.

So some folks will move from Wall St ambitions to corporate finance, some people will drop from consulting to GM, etc., but there are still jobs to be had. Have to be smart and set realistic expectations, but it's not like half of every class is going to be unemployed.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: For MBA Applicants, Final-Round Blues [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2009, 11:15
I agree - I think we are going to see a different set of goals for people obtaining an MBA. Just try to look at the downturn as a lower opportunity cost for leaving work. If only tuition went down based on the economy we'd be in a great condition.
Re: For MBA Applicants, Final-Round Blues   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2009, 11:15