Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 04:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For members of the seventeenth century Ashanti nation in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 0

For members of the seventeenth century Ashanti nation in [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2007, 21:16
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

62% (01:50) correct 38% (00:42) wrong based on 449 sessions
For members of the seventeenth century Ashanti nation in Africa, animal-hide shields with wooden frames were essential items of military equipment, a method to protect warriors against enemy arrows and spears.

A) a method to protect
B) as a method protecting
C) protecting
D) as a protection of
E) to protect

Guys, I need to know why the wrong choices are really wrong. Could you please explain your reasons of eliminating an answer choice in this case? I mean all the wrong choices.

I appreciate your inputs.

thanks
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

for every person who doesn't try because he is
afraid of loosing , there is another person who
keeps making mistakes and succeeds..

Last edited by fameatop on 22 Aug 2013, 22:50, edited 1 time in total.
OA not provided
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

Re: Ashanti tribe [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2007, 22:15
shoonya wrote:
For members of the seventeenth century Ashanti nation in Africa, animal-hide shields with wooden frames were essential items of military equipment, a method to protect warriors against enemy arrows and spears.

A) a method to protect
C) protecting
D) as a protection of
E) to protect

Guys, I need to know why the wrong choices are really wrong. Could you please explain your reasons of eliminating an answer choice in this case? I mean all the wrong choices.

thanks

C.

A) a method to protect => its not a method.
B) as a method protecting => use of as wrong.
C) protecting => participal modifier - correct for me.
D) as a protection of => same as b.
E) to protect => infinitive is wrong.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 241 [0], given: 4

[#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2007, 10:54
For members of the seventeenth century Ashanti nation in Africa, animal-hide shields with wooden frames were essential items of military equipment, protecting warriors against enemy arrows and spears.

Dependent clause, independent clause, participial phrase.

participial phrases are extremely important on the GMAT test. Once I knew what they were, I realized that many questions contain this structure.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2007, 13:29
bmwhype2 wrote:
For members of the seventeenth century Ashanti nation in Africa, animal-hide shields with wooden frames were essential items of military equipment, protecting warriors against enemy arrows and spears.

participial phrases are extremely important on the GMAT test. Once I knew what they were, I realized that many questions contain this structure.

Just out of curiousity, what other orders are possible for the three items in order for a sentence to be GMAT-ically correct? :)

Last edited by beckee529 on 31 Jul 2007, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 7

[#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2007, 13:57
beckee529 wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:

Just out of curiousity, what other orders are possible for the three items in order for a sentence to me GMAT-ically correct? :)

As far as I know, they can come in any combination, bar participal phrase cannot modify dependent clause.

Participal phrase attached to the independent clause with a comma modifies a subject of the independent clause

In the example below, "protecting blah blah...." is modifying "animal-hide shields with wooden frames".

CEO
CEO

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2007, 11:54
botirvoy wrote:
beckee529 wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:

Just out of curiousity, what other orders are possible for the three items in order for a sentence to me GMAT-ically correct? :)

Participal phrase attached to the independent clause with a comma modifies a subject of the independent clause

Someone should write down the rules for participial phrases... :evil:

Analysts blamed May's sluggish retail sales on unexciting merchandise as well as the weather, which was colder and wetter than usual in some regions, slowing sales of barbecue grills and lawn furniture.
CEO
CEO

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2007, 12:11
bmwhype2 wrote:
botirvoy wrote:
beckee529 wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:

Someone should write down the rules for participial phrases... :evil:

Analysts blamed May's sluggish retail sales on unexciting merchandise as well as the weather, which was colder and wetter than usual in some regions, slowing sales of barbecue grills and lawn furniture.

Astronomers have theorized that the Big Bang governs the behavior of interstellar dust, particles that comprise the atoms and molecules created in the progenitive explosion and persisting in even the emptiest regions of space
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge
For members of the seventeenth-century Ashanti nation in [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 09:52
For members of the seventeenth-century Ashanti nation in Africa, animal-hide shields with wooden frames were essential items of military equipment, a method to protect warriors against enemy arrows and spears.

A. a method to protect

B. as a method protecting

C. protecting

D. as a protection of

E. to protect

Last edited by mau5 on 26 Aug 2013, 01:46, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the Q,Added OA
VP
VP
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 222 [0], given: 1

Re: SC- Ashanti [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 10:03
I dont see any method in the sentence. A & B out

No need to use as. We don't have viewed X as Y or Used X as Y scenario

protecting is clear as it modifies the Animal shields

My pick C
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 3

Re: SC- Ashanti [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 10:05
I think E should be the correct answer as we have to use an infinitive here
goalsnr wrote:
For members of the seventeenth-century Ashanti nation in Africa, animal-hide shields with wooden frames were essential items of military equipment, a method to protect warriors against enemy arrows and spears.

A. a method to protect

C. protecting

D. as a protection of

E. to protect

Every Problem Has a Sloution So keep working
AB

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 2

Re: SC- Ashanti [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 10:07
IMO C , however E might have been correct if that comma was not there. any thoughts on that?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: SC- Ashanti [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 10:09

A. a method to protect
Shields are not methods....kung fu is a method :D
Shields are not methods....kung fu is a method :D
C. protecting
they do not protect them now....it was in the 17th century.
D. as a protection of
Awkward use
E. to protect
Correct

lol...I got this correct earlier on...and forgot about my fundamentls...damn....here's the reasoing from my previous post...

"Honestly it took me more than a minute to answer this. Here's my reasoning

I chose C

D was the first option that i eliminated as

, as a protection of what?? warriors ??....well we never say as a protection of who...do we?? .....nonetheless both are not idiomatic...

A and B were out because weapons are forms of self - defense and not ways/methods of self-defense. We can say Karate is method but do we say knife/gun is a method??....errrr no...

I got stuck with E, cause 'to protect someone' is grammatically correct , such as 'I want you to protect him', but the issue now comes down to modifiers. So in our previous example we would not go about writing 'I want you, to protect him' but the usage of 'x, protecting him' where protecting modifies x is the right usage. Trust me the ',' makes the difference here.... "

Its C guys!!!

Last edited by Ashwin_Mohan on 15 Jul 2008, 11:12, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

Re: SC- Ashanti [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 10:45
goalsnr wrote:

A. a method to protect

C. protecting

D. as a protection of

E. to protect

IMO C is the correct answer here
the issue with usage of E emanates from the fact that it will commit a modifier error
here is how
"Military equipments" to protect

i think this is an OG problem

The world is continuous, but the mind is discrete

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge
Re: SC- Ashanti [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 14:57
OA is C.

here is my explanation:
This SC is in the form of DC,IC,DC

"a method to protect warriors against enemy arrows and spears "- is a sentence that can standby itself. We convert the independent clause
to a subordinate clause by adding "participle" -"protecting"
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 0

Re: [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 08:42
This post received
KUDOS
To confirm:

so the participial phrase (protecting warriors against enemy arrows and spears) in our case modifies the independent clause (its subject) (animal-hide shields with wooden frames were essential items of military equipment) and not the noun (military equipment). Is that correct?

-> Would the following structure be incorrect then?
For members of the seventeenth century Ashanti nation in Africa, animal-hide shields with wooden frames were essential items of military equipment that protected warriors against enemy arrows and spears

What do you guys think?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 07:32
bmwhype2 wrote:

Hi, could anyone please explain what participle phrases/clauses mean? I am not at all clear on that concept. It'll be great if anyone could help on this. Thanks.
Expert Post
10 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 292

Kudos [?]: 672 [10] , given: 6

Re: Re: [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2011, 10:17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
deepaksharma1986 wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:

Hi, could anyone please explain what participle phrases/clauses mean? I am not at all clear on that concept. It'll be great if anyone could help on this. Thanks.

Hi deepak,

So participial phrases are basically -ING verb phrases that are separated with a comma (,) from the rest of the sentence.

So in this case, "protecting warriors against enemy arrows and spears" is the participial phrase.

What is this phrase describing? Structurally, it is positioned to describe "animal-hide shields."

If you're not sure, you can always flip it and read it like this:

"Protecting warriors against enemy arrows, animal-hide shields with wooden frames were essential items of military equipment."

Ask yourself if this makes sense.

Do "shields" "protect warriors against enemy arrows"? Sure! So you know this makes sense.

You can read more of a detailed explanation of this question here: http://www.gmatpill.com/practice-questi ... orrection/

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5.0

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 315

Re: Ashanti tribe [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2011, 02:34
This post received
KUDOS
shoonya wrote:

A) a method to protect
C) protecting
D) as a protection of
E) to protect

thanks

C, The sentence test word choice.
"animal-hide shields" is not a method => eliminate A,B
(D)" as a protection of" is wordy unessarilly
(E):"to protect" we are not talking about the purpose so to-inf is not appropriate here.

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Ashanti tribe [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2011, 00:30
Nicely explained GMAT pill. Kudos for you
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Re: Ashanti tribe [#permalink] New post 18 May 2011, 19:29
Answer C

what OG says that E could be correct if comma was not there. Is it universal rule that infinitives (to) cannot come just after comma?
Re: Ashanti tribe   [#permalink] 18 May 2011, 19:29