For memebers of the seventeenth-century Ashanti nation in : GMAT Sentence Correction (SC)
Check GMAT Club App Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases http://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 11 Dec 2016, 02:18
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For memebers of the seventeenth-century Ashanti nation in

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 208
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

For memebers of the seventeenth-century Ashanti nation in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2006, 18:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

For memebers of the seventeenth-century Ashanti nation in Africa, animal-hide shields with wooden frames were essential items of military equipment, a method to protect warriors against enemy arrows and spears.

b. as a method protecting
c. protecting
d. as protection of
e. to protect

please explain.
Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 17 Sep 2005
Posts: 924
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

Re: SC- Ashanti nation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2006, 19:23
shampoo wrote:
For memebers of the seventeenth-century Ashanti nation in Africa, animal-hide shields with wooden frames were essential items of military equipment, a method to protect warriors against enemy arrows and spears.

b. as a method protecting
c. protecting
d. as protection of
e. to protect

please explain.


I think it's C.
'animal-hide shields with wooden frames' can not be referred as method.

Regards,
Brajesh
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2006
Posts: 231
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: SC- Ashanti nation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2006, 19:50
b14kumar wrote:
shampoo wrote:
For memebers of the seventeenth-century Ashanti nation in Africa, animal-hide shields with wooden frames were essential items of military equipment, a method to protect warriors against enemy arrows and spears.

b. as a method protecting
c. protecting
d. as protection of
e. to protect

please explain.


I think it's C.
'animal-hide shields with wooden frames' can not be referred as method.

Regards,
Brajesh


just like the statement above, the 'animal hide shields..' is a weapon.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 1737
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2006, 20:50
Will go with E here.

Animal hide shields were considered essential to protect warriors.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 5062
Location: Singapore
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 349 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2006, 01:17
C is the best choice.

A,B --> 'method' is redundant
D --> 'of' is wrong
E --> to infinitive not appropriate here
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 22 May 2005
Posts: 141
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2006, 01:43
Yep .. by process of elimination .. c is the best choice .. its not a method (A and B), of is definitely not making any sense (D)...to is not needed and improper (E)..thus C..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 445
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2006, 01:46
No doubt , C it is

E is wrong, since the comma breaks the clause and introduces the modifier. Hence the infinitive to protect could be used to
show the intention of something given in the clause, which is obviously not the case here.

Moreover, if to protect were used to modify the adjective essential , it should be used as close to it as possible othervise
it could be considered a misplaced modifier. So even if you omit the comma, using to protect after the word equipment is grammatically incorrect.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2005
Posts: 1131
Location: India
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 1

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2006, 01:59
deowl wrote:
No doubt , C it is

E is wrong, since the comma breaks the clause and introduces the modifier. Hence the infinitive to protect could be used to
show the intention of something given in the clause, which is obviously not the case here.

Moreover, if to protect were used to modify the adjective essential , it should be used as close to it as possible othervise
it could be considered a misplaced modifier. So even if you omit the comma, using to protect after the word equipment is grammatically incorrect.


Wow!! :idea:
What an explaination.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 208
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2006, 07:13
OA is C.

thanks for the explanation deowl.
  [#permalink] 23 May 2006, 07:13
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
For members of the seventeenth-century Ashanti nation in miaojunmaggie 0 11 Oct 2016, 19:35
1 For members of the seventeenth-century Ashanti nation in ugimba 4 02 Apr 2009, 06:47
For members of the seventeenth-century Ashanti nation in goalsnr 0 26 Aug 2013, 01:43
For members of the seventeenth-century Ashanti nation in gmatcrook 4 28 Jun 2008, 11:50
3 For members of the seventeenth-century Ashanti nation in tarek99 5 17 Jan 2008, 12:00
Display posts from previous: Sort by

For memebers of the seventeenth-century Ashanti nation in

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.