Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 06:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For most consumers, the price of automobile insurance

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 881
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 148 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
For most consumers, the price of automobile insurance [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2007, 13:19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
307. For most consumers, the price of automobile insurance continues to rise annually, even if free of damage claims and moving violations.
(A) even if
(B) despite being
(C) even if they are
(D) although they may be
(E) even if remaining

I hate this question. All the answer choices look meaningless.
Anyone thinks otherwise?
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2770
Location: New York City
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: 1000 SC #307 [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2007, 13:26
botirvoy wrote:
307. For most consumers, the price of automobile insurance continues to rise annually, even if free of damage claims and moving violations.
(A) even if
(B) despite being
(C) even if they are
(D) although they may be
(E) even if remaining

I hate this question. All the answer choices look meaningless.
Anyone thinks otherwise?


is the answer B? I've read despite + (gerund/noun) and although + (clause)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 May 2007
Posts: 252
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2007, 13:27
if this wasnt for GMAT i would have picked "B" but since GMAT doesn likes to avoid use of "being" i will go with "C" just because i think all other choices are weird enough to be discarded without thinking about grammatical mistakes in them.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 May 2007
Posts: 252
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2007, 13:29
sorry about the typos in my above post, i meant " GMAT likes to avoid the use of "being" . :)
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Posts: 932
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2007, 13:39
bmwhype2 wrote:
empty_spaces wrote:
if this wasnt for GMAT i would have picked "B" but since GMAT doesn likes to avoid use of "being" i will go with "C" just because i think all other choices are weird enough to be discarded without thinking about grammatical mistakes in them.


It cannot be C. They refers back to price (of X).


I believe the latter part of the sentence is referring to "most consumers"... so would using "they" make the answer choice wrong?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 May 2007
Posts: 252
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2007, 13:47
bmwhype2 wrote:
empty_spaces wrote:
if this wasnt for GMAT i would have picked "B" but since GMAT doesn likes to avoid use of "being" i will go with "C" just because i think all other choices are weird enough to be discarded without thinking about grammatical mistakes in them.


It cannot be C. They refers back to price (of X).



I think " they" is kind of ambiguous here but you are right, in that case B might be a safer choice but i am still hesitant about the use of "being" on gmat.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2770
Location: New York City
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2007, 13:49
beckee529 wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:
empty_spaces wrote:
if this wasnt for GMAT i would have picked "B" but since GMAT doesn likes to avoid use of "being" i will go with "C" just because i think all other choices are weird enough to be discarded without thinking about grammatical mistakes in them.


It cannot be C. They refers back to price (of X).


I believe the latter part of the sentence is referring to "most consumers"... so would using "they" make the answer choice wrong?


You're right. They refers back to customers because the price cannot be free of moving violations.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 May 2007
Posts: 252
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2007, 13:55
i think " they" is still ambiguous , we are testing grammar here and not logic i suppose.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2770
Location: New York City
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2007, 14:19
empty_spaces wrote:
i think " they" is still ambiguous , we are testing grammar here and not logic i suppose.


No. The referent is clear. On the GMAT, when a pronoun has two referents, but only one logical referent, that pronoun is correct.


quoted
-----
Whenever we speak of pronoun problems we forget that the AMBIGUITY arises IF THERE ARE TWO OR MORE LOGICAL antecedents possible for a pronoun. It doesn't hold when the antecedent cannot logically stand in for the pronoun in question - as in this case for example..

The decline in the population of India was so rapid that people couldn't believe it ever used to be an socio-economic issue

Here IT clearly points to the population because DECLINE itself cannot be the issue.

Both the pumpkin and the table were safe even though the thief tried to steal it.

Now here the IT is AMBIGUOUS (is it the pumpkin or the table that the thief was trying to steal?)
----

See this thread.
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... highlight=
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 881
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 148 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2007, 01:40
OA is C.

However, I dont see a good connection between "consumers" and "they".
Hence, I dont like C.
Actually, I dont like this question at all :)

Anyone can show how C is logicallly and grammatically correct?
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2004
Posts: 1474
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2007, 05:38
botirvoy wrote:
OA is C.

However, I dont see a good connection between "consumers" and "they".
Hence, I dont like C.
Actually, I dont like this question at all :)

Anyone can show how C is logicallly and grammatically correct?


B is much more concise than C. I am not sure why the OA is C. Despite being conveys the same meaning as even if they are in fewer words. B should stand. All issues regarding BEING are actually baseless - GMAT doesn't like being where it's inappropriate grammatically. It doesn't mean GMAT has outcast BEING from the language itself.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 881
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 148 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2007, 05:50
dwivedys wrote:
botirvoy wrote:
OA is C.

However, I dont see a good connection between "consumers" and "they".
Hence, I dont like C.
Actually, I dont like this question at all :)

Anyone can show how C is logicallly and grammatically correct?


B is much more concise than C. I am not sure why the OA is C. Despite being conveys the same meaning as even if they are in fewer words. B should stand. All issues regarding BEING are actually baseless - GMAT doesn't like being where it's inappropriate grammatically. It doesn't mean GMAT has outcast BEING from the language itself.


But "being" in B is actually modifying "price", which is illogical.
Otherwise, i totally agree with your point about the usage of being :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2007
Posts: 463
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 22:34
bmwhype2 wrote:
The decline in the population of India was so rapid that people couldn't believe it ever used to be an socio-economic issue


Funny... I read this sentence when we are talking about logic.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 2593
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 1000 SC #307 [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 23:50
botirvoy wrote:
307. For most consumers, the price of automobile insurance continues to rise annually, even if free of damage claims and moving violations.
(A) even if
(B) despite being
(C) even if they are
(D) although they may be
(E) even if remaining

I hate this question. All the answer choices look meaningless.
Anyone thinks otherwise?


Has to be C. All of the choices stink, but C is the best.

They appears to be ambigious but it obviously can't refer to the singular "price." So it must be C.

A: even if free of, is ungrammatical here.
B: use of being
D: although they may be... changes the meaning of the sentence here.
E: same problem as A, ungrammatical usage here.
Re: 1000 SC #307   [#permalink] 18 Sep 2007, 23:50
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
For most consumers, the price of automobile insurance jyotsnasarabu 3 16 Nov 2006, 09:51
For most consumers, the price of automobile insurance foolz_rulz 4 17 Jun 2006, 21:05
For most consumers, the price of automobile insurance vipin7um 3 24 Mar 2006, 17:53
For most consumers, the price of automobile insurance sgrover 15 21 Sep 2005, 21:47
For most consumers, the price of automobile insurance srijay007 3 10 Sep 2004, 00:30
Display posts from previous: Sort by

For most consumers, the price of automobile insurance

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.